Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 05:18 PM

52 posts, read 134,970 times

Advertisements

Reconquista de Aztlan

Aztlan is proported to be, by some, the homeland of the Aztecs before they migrated to the area of what is now Mexico City in the 9th or 10th century AD. The few Aztec writings that have survived describe this journey as guided by the god Huitzilpochtli who gave the Aztecs the sacred right to rule over others. By the time the Spanish arrived the Aztecs controlled much of what is modern day Mexico.
Much of the area encompassed by Aztlan was at one time controlled by Mexico. Texas achieved it’s own independence and most of the rest was ceded to the U.S. in the Treated of Guadalupe Hidalgo in 1848 at the end of the Mexican-American war.

Using the legend of Aztlan, many Chicano groups have laid claim to much of what is now the American Southwest as their “occupied homeland”. This notion was first widely voiced in the 1960s. At the first Chicano National Youth Conference held in Denver in 1969, the Plan Espiritual de Aztlan (Spiritual Plan of Aztlan) was written.
The first sentence of the Plan:
"In the spirit of a new people that is conscious not only of its proud historical heritage but also of the brutal “gringo” invasion of our territories, we, the Chicano, Mexican, Latino, Indigenous inhabitants and civilizers of the Northern land of Aztlan from whence came our forefathers, reclaiming the land of their birth and consecrating the determination of our people of the sun, declare that the call of our snagre is our power, our responsibility and our inevitable destiny.”

The Plan goes on to outline the means to that end through social, economic, cultural and political independence. Under those seemingly benign aims, the Plan demands restitution for past ethnic and cultural destruction. It advocated driving the exploiters (Anglos) our of their communities, states that juvenile acts of delinquency will become revolutionary acts and declares that land belonging to them will be fought for and defended. Many, if not all, of the Latino activist groups embrace the Plan to some extent.

Chicano movements reject the label of “Mexican’, despite their ethnicity. They also reject ‘Latino’, a term that includes more than those of Mexican descent. They particularly disdain those who refer to themselves as Mexican-American as being traitors to ‘la raza’ (the race), their culture and heritage. The term ‘Chicano’ expresses the rejection of assimilation and of ‘Anglo’ Culture.

Movimento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan (Chicano Student Movement of Aztlan) has established chapters in 90% of public high schools, colleges and universities in the American Southwest and, to a lesser degree, throughout the United States. According to their organizational constitution and position papers, all members should be indoctrinated to the movement by discussing El Plan Espiritual de Aztlan and El Plan de Santa Barbara. The Plan of Santa Barbara asserts that the cost of the American Dream to Mexican people in the US had been the abandonment of their ties to their heritage and culture.

The MEChA constitution contains a lengthy segment on recruitment. This involves approaching “new faces” that appear after events such as rallies and symposiums, often young people in search of self-fulfillment and a feeling of belonging. These ‘new faces’ are to be made to feel part of the group immediately and educated on the Chicano philosophy, culture and history. They are given tasks within the organization as soon as possible to further instil that feeling of belonging. Loyalty and the sense of brotherhood are very important to MEChA and similar organizations, ensuring that the members will react in a predicable manner to a call to action.

Among the accomplishments of Chicano activist groups was the election of LA mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, a member of MEChA while in college. Other achievements of such groups have been the establishment of bilingual education and Chicano studies programs in public schools. Five Hundred Years of Chicano History is one text book used in over 300 schools in the Southwest. The purpose of this book, according to the editor, is to “celebrate our resistance to being colonized and absorbed by raciest empire builders”. The book refers to ICE and the Border Patrol as “the Gestapo for Mexicans”.

One of the most popular books in Chicano studies programs is Occupied America: The Chicano’s Struggle Toward Liberation. The book states that the “Anglo-American invasion of Mexico was as vicious as that of Hitler’s invasion of Poland...” Author of the book, Rodolfo Acuna said at a MEChA conference in 1996, “Right now you are in the Nazi United States of America”. California’s Santa Barbara School Districts Chicano studies text book, paid for by taxpayers, teaches separatism, victimization, completely lacks patriotism to the US and advocates open borders.

Recent Latino immigrants, especially Mexicans, are increasingly less likely to assimilate into American culture. The outreach programs of groups such as MEChA encourage these immigrants to retain their culture and language. That atmosphere also discourages education in young Latinos since successful students are considered “wannabes” who are trying to “act white”. This in turn has lead to Hispanics having the largest dropout rate of any ethnic group, including other immigrants. The lack of education keeps many Hispanics from advancing beyond low skill jobs and poverty. Poverty that further exacerbates feelings of victimization and resentment toward the more prosperous.

The result is growing radical sentiments in the immigrant movement, especially among Hispanics. Evidence of this radicalization can be found in increasingly militant language. A Chicano student publication referred to Border Patrol agents killed in the line of duty as “pigs” who were protecting a “false frontier”. Border Patrol agents and ICE are accused of rounding up thousands of “so called immigrants” like animals for illegally entering land that is historically theirs. A Plan de Aztlan conference resolved “We shall overcome... by the vote if possible and violence if necessary”. During recent immigrant marches people carried signs saying “Uncle Sam Stole Our Land” and “Reconquista de Aztlan”. Mario Obledo of the California Coalition of Hispanic Organizations said that “California is going to be a Hispanic state. Anyone who doesn’t like it should leave”. Dr. Armando Navarro, of the University of California at Riverside, was recently quoted in an editorial on the La Voc de Aztlan website; “Strategically, the tactical option of once again taking to the streets with the same or greater fury and passion that drove our great mobilizations of 2006 must be concomitantly developed.” The editorial insisted that “the movement must start embracing the tactics of non-cooperation and civil disobedience.”

Another disturbing trend is the increasing empathy with the Palestinians expressed within the Hispanic activist groups. From the National Organization of Aztlan; “La Raza’s struggle for land and for political and economic self-determination is not different from the struggle of the Palestinian people... We live in Aztlan under Anglo domination as the Palestinians live under Jewish domination.”

While searching the internet, I did not find any indication of imminent violence on the part of any Latino advocacy groups. However, with the increasingly militant language and empathy with the Palestinians and in light of the tactics that the Palestinians have used, and continue to use, I believe that large scale violence is inevitable unless the US government takes control of our borders and of immigration.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:17 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,686 times
Too bad that the true Aztlan (a word coined in the 1800's by...GASP...a European)....was not a place envisioned by the Aztecs and if it was it would have actually been located southeast of and dead on in Mexico City.

Aztlan is not in the U.S.--Where are the pyramids? Where is the anthropological and archeological evidence? It's not there...I know...Paleo Indian Archeology is my major. My degree will be in Paleo-Indian Archeology and I can tell you for dead certain that Meso American Indians did NOT make their homes in the modern day U.S.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:28 PM

398 posts, read 1,409,272 times
They all just want money. The rest is just cheap excuses to justify the crime. Deport them all. Period. No conditions.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:50 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,088,730 times
Quotes by Hispanic government officials as are on a post on this site, should be printed by everyone and handed out across America so all will see the threat we are facing is real.

I cannot understand why government allows these racist groups in our public schools who want to take over America.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:28 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,034 times
SO...am I to understand you guys no longer want to be called Latinos or Mexicans...its now Chicanos???

Coooollll...just keep us up to speed...god forbid I use the wrong term and offend someone...

Old 06-18-2007, 06:59 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,898,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
Quotes by Hispanic government officials as are on a post on this site, should be printed by everyone and handed out across America so all will see the threat we are facing is real.

I cannot understand why government allows these racist groups in our public schools who want to take over America.
Issues of race and sex are secondary/subservient to larger issues of class and political power generally. At the expense of sounding like a Marxist, the whole idea is to destroy democracy so that the elite of his country can govern the US in the manner that the Mexican elite 'governs' Mexico.

Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim is said to be on a path to eclipse the wealth of Bill Gates, who has been funding various causes. Mr Slim shows no interest in giving away his ill-gotten gains, which largely are the result of monopoly profits inside of Mexico as well as various investments in the US.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:02 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
SO...am I to understand you guys no longer want to be called Latinos or Mexicans...its now Chicanos???

Coooollll...just keep us up to speed...god forbid I use the wrong term and offend someone...
I thought chicano was the OLD word, and now to be PC it's Hispanic?

Old 11-19-2007, 12:08 AM

10,210 posts, read 15,912,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Issues of race and sex are secondary/subservient to larger issues of class and political power generally. At the expense of sounding like a Marxist, the whole idea is to destroy democracy so that the elite of his country can govern the US in the manner that the Mexican elite 'governs' Mexico.

Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim is said to be on a path to eclipse the wealth of Bill Gates, who has been funding various causes. Mr Slim shows no interest in giving away his ill-gotten gains, which largely are the result of monopoly profits inside of Mexico as well as various investments in the US.
Neither Carlos SLIM nor Vicente FOX sound completely Mexican. Is Vicente Fox even completely Mexican because his last name sounds very Anglo.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:20 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,950,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Too bad that the true Aztlan (a word coined in the 1800's by...GASP...a European)....was not a place envisioned by the Aztecs and if it was it would have actually been located southeast of and dead on in Mexico City.

Aztlan is not in the U.S.--Where are the pyramids? Where is the anthropological and archeological evidence? It's not there...I know...Paleo Indian Archeology is my major. My degree will be in Paleo-Indian Archeology and I can tell you for dead certain that Meso American Indians did NOT make their homes in the modern day U.S.
Your right, lol. The Native indians here weren't as advanced as the Aztecs. The Aztecs, I believe, originated in Texas and they migrated down south. Aztlan is just some bull thrown together by pissed-off crazy communist Mexicans. I could really care less of what people call me: Mexican-American, Chicano, American from Mexican decent, Latino, Hispanic, Mexican.. I know what they mean. I look more like Barack Obama than to be labeled as Benito Juarez.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:09 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Neither Carlos SLIM nor Vicente FOX sound completely Mexican. Is Vicente Fox even completely Mexican because his last name sounds very Anglo.
They are 100% Mexican------just that neither has any indigenous Indian heritage.

Strictly speaking; Mitt Romney's father was a Mexican-----he was born/raised there by his American parents who were residents of Chihuahua about 90 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.