Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 07:30 PM

49 posts, read 174,083 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We have two kids (5 and 3) and we don't know wich park will be the best for our kids for 2 or 3 days? They like animals....

What's your advice? do you have any suggestions?

How are the lodge at Wildelife state park??

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 12:12 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,284,608 times
I never been to Starved Rock but it is not so far apart that you can't do both. Wild Anical does have lodginging which I ttink is neat as your kids can sleep to the wolf lullaby. There is a restaurant and train that goes through the park and I believe the kids can fish. Lodging is limited so you will need to reserve a cabin. If you have not visited the area before here are some other things you can do nearby and also links to both state parks. ,

Starved Rock State Park - Starved Rock State Park
Wildlife Prairie State Park - Home Page

Peoria Zoo. where you find black swans, and a pair of red pandas and more. -that are new.
header_v8

Peoria Heights 178' tower that overlooks the Illinois River Valley (elelvatoor, too). It's a couple of miles North of the zoo
Tower Park (http://www.villageofpeoriaheights.org/tower_park.htm - broken link)

Planetarium and museum is about 5 miles from the zoo
Lakeview

Water Park and Farm Park at East Peoria
Splashdown Water Park | www.fondulacpark.com

River Cruise on The Spirit of Peoria
Mississippi River Cruises, Illinois River, Paddleboat, Paddlewheeler

Peoria Riverfront has a fountain for kids to play in; Carriage rides. sports plex with pool. You can get a one-day pass.

Pekin Mineral Springs Park and Lagoon has paddle boats; water park and miniature golf.
Pekin Park District, Pekin, Illinois

Chuck E. Cheese - food and fun for kids
Chuck E. Cheese

Old 06-30-2010, 12:43 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,294,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franceclaire View Post
Hello,

We have two kids (5 and 3) and we don't know wich park will be the best for our kids for 2 or 3 days? They like animals....

Thanks
I've never been to Wildlife Prairie but I've always loved Starved Rock, even as a little kid.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:42 AM

818 posts, read 2,173,559 times
Am I the only one that thinks Starved Rock has put in too many wooden staircases and ramps and has become too controlled of an environment? I prefer to hike elsewhere, but it may be different if you have kids.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:04 PM

148 posts, read 624,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franceclaire View Post
Hello,

Thanks

You will see far more animals at Wildlife Prairie Park (that is really the attraction there), however you can easily see all the animal exhibits in Wildlife Prairie Park in less than a day. After that, the hiking is someone limited, but there are other things to do in the area. I live near Wildlife prairie park so I've never stayed in the lodge.

You'll see far fewer animals at Starved Rock, but the hiking is much better. Starved Rock has some very pretty and unique scenery.

Basically it's a choice of whether you mostly want to see animal exhibits or go hiking and camping.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:05 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,284,608 times
The nice thing about Illinois city parks, state parks and US parks is we got 'em. There is something for somebody in every area of the state from the Illinois Ozarks to the 12.000 acre wetlnds in the middle of the Mississippi flyway to Lincoln's New Salem and Starved RocK to Chicago and more. Enjoy it! These 3 resources whould cover all the parks in the state except city and county that are sometimes surprisingly good. .

IL DNR
DNR

IL Nature Conservancy
The Nature Conservancy in Illinois - The Nature Conservancy in Illinois

IL US Wildlife Refugee
Fish and Wildlife Service in Illinois

We are also rather proud of our 9000+acre 2010 Gold Medal Park District that is the oldest in the state. Peoria Park District

Old 06-30-2010, 10:12 PM

17 posts, read 75,980 times
I prefer to hike in a "wilder" environment than Starved Rock, but one weekend morning we saw two does with fawns, very close to the trail, there. I haven't seen that in the White Mountains of New Hampshire! So there is wildlife to be seen at Starved Rock if you are lucky and fairly quiet. The hiking is somewhat limited--I believe there are 13 miles of trail--but it is lovely.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:58 AM

296 posts, read 1,183,865 times
Wildlife Prairie Park is the choice for seeing animals. It's a cool place. If you're into that, you should also check out the Peoria Zoo's Africa exhibit. It's new within the last year and very worthwhile.

Starved Rock is nice, but it's strictly hiking. If you want to hike too, the best thing you can do is to go to WPP then after that drive 10 minutes or so to Jubilee State Park. There are 20 miles or so of trails and the crowds will be far less than Starved Rock. If it's river bluffs you want, go to Forest Park Nature Center in Peoria, maybe 15 minutes from WPP. 8 miles of hilly trails with a nature center.

Starved Rock is very nice, but Peoria offers everything it has and more.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:21 AM

49 posts, read 174,083 times
thanks for your answer. We will go to Starved Rock , just for walking a little bit , slowly on the trail.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:29 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,517,953 times
Having been to both places numerous times, I cannot imagine any animals that your two little children will actually see in Starved Rock? Sure, there is the usual squirrel and birds, and if you drive around dusk, you will be dodging deer...but...

Wildlife Prairie State Park is the way to go. Your little ones will see all kinds of animals, in a trail-like setting. The park rangers do an excellent job with the kids too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois