Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,654 times

Advertisements

Hello all! So, I figured it wouldn't hurt to get some real information about some questions I have about the Champaign area.

Back Story: I am a 24 year old gay man who has kinda fallen on hard times, I have extended family in the area and was offered a place to stay to get on my feet. I also have a few other options, which gives me a little bit of a position to be choosey.

Now, I know that the area is a college town, and very left leaning politically which is great for me! But, I have some more questions just about the general area.

1.What's it like to be in the area without a car, public transit? Walking? Daytons public transportation is HORRIBLE, so anything really would be a step up.

2.Is the area big? Dayton is not huge, but its a comfortable size for me. A little more urban, but still lacks in a lot of things. I like towns/cities that are just under a medium sized city, but don't take 5 minutes to get to either side.

3. What about nightlife? Gay bars? Fun things to do?

4. Employment? Have you noticed a lot of opportunities around there. I have no college degree, but several years of working experience.

5. What is your personal opinion of Champaign? Since I like things constructive. Give me a positive and a negative.

7. Did you notice I skipped 6 before you read it?

Definitely would LOVE some feedback from someone who has maybe made this move? Or been to the Dayton area and Champaign.
Thanks everyone in advance! Lived in Ohio all my life, and even though its two states over, this move will be big for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 09:02 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,026,497 times
I think you'll find the Champaign/Urbana area is reasonably tolerant of GLB individuals. You certainly won't be alone here, and should find plenty of locations to meet and mingle openly with other gay men if you choose. With a major university as the cornerstone institution, diversity is greater than in many other midwestern metros of the same size.

I haven't been to Dayton so I can't give you much comparison/contrast information. Size-wise the area is smaller than the Dayton area, but there's a dash of urban feel in downtown Champaign. And the University offers great opportunities for entertainment like sporting events, plays, concerts (classical and contemporary), dance recitals, art shows, guest speakers, etc. I suspect you won't love it, but could probably live with it. And there's a train station with 3 X daily service to Chicago (~2 1/2 hour) for $60-$70 round-trip if you feel the need to get to a real urban city for a weekend.

Public transportation is very good. It's quite possible to get by here with no car, depending exactly where you live. You can learn more about the Champaign Urbana Mass Transit District at this link: Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District | MTD

Employment is a mixed bag. The unemployment rate is usually 1-2% below the statewide number, but wages aren't particularly high. Cost-of-living isn't particularly high either so I guess its about a wash. You say you don't have a degree. Maybe this is your chance to get one. Parkland College is a great JuCo. If you can get an Associates there and transfer to U-of-I, you stand a chance to get a high quality degree without spending a fortune.

What's not to like about the Champaign area? The geography would be my biggest complaint. Its flat out here. Ridiculously flat. If you get 50 feet above ground level, you can see for 15 or 20 miles in any direction. I'd say the weather isn't great, but it's probably not all that different from Dayton. There's no major body of water, like a river or lake, for summer water sports like boating, swimming, fishing, water skiing, etc. Overall its not bad. It's no Shangri La, but not hell, either. There's certainly enough opportunity here to seriously consider coming to get back on your feet, especially if you have family that can give you some support.

Last edited by madpaddy; 03-23-2012 at 09:41 PM..

Old 03-24-2012, 03:50 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Aiding in the no-car situation is that you can ride a bike from one corner of Champaign to the opposite corner in Urbana in about 30 minutes if you hustle. Might not be pleasant in the winter but even then it could prove a useful supplement to public transportation; the buses have bike racks on them so you can combine both modes for the sake of expediency.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:03 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Realistically the Urbana-Champaign area is adjoining farm communities that had a 35,000 student population dropped in the center of it. Combined with the student population the area is nearly 100,000. Some residents claim when the students are on vacation Champaign is a ghost town. Wolfram is in Champaign. And it is isolated as are all communities in IL of size excepting the East St. Louis, IL area and Chicagoland.

I think you will find Illlinois is generally relaxed and a friendly state.

St.Louis is the 9th most welcoming LGBT city in America. Chicago has a neighborhood called Boystown. Otherwise the gay community in Illinois is scattered over a very large area, and not terribly cohesive, or terribly convenient to meet without some type of transportation.

The minimum state wage is $0.50 higher than the minimum federal wage. Companies find all kinds of ways to try to weasel out of paying it.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The minimum state wage is $0.50 higher than the minimum federal wage. Companies find all kinds of ways to try to weasel out of paying it.
Could you give an example of this? How can a company "weasel out" of paying minimum wage?

Old 03-24-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Realistically the Urbana-Champaign area is adjoining farm communities that had a 35,000 student population dropped in the center of it.
As someone who has lived in the area for the better part of 20 years, I would disagree with that characterization. May have been true a hundred years ago, but not now. Agriculture is still prevalent in the surrounding areas, but neither Champaign nor Urbana feel like the proverbial "farm town" to me.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:58 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,407,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
As someone who has lived in the area for the better part of 20 years, I would disagree with that characterization. May have been true a hundred years ago, but not now. Agriculture is still prevalent in the surrounding areas, but neither Champaign nor Urbana feel like the proverbial "farm town" to me.
Yeah, and C-U has gotten a bit bigger, too. Latest estimates of the three-county metro area have it placed at ~ 235,000 residents (which doesn't include the student population unless they have established residency and are working in in the area). I mean, it's a far cry from the size of Dayton, but C-U is growing at a pretty healthy clip.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:44 PM

Actually I can. A retail food seller hired my friend to close second shift. I saw the paycheck it was minimum federal wage - not minim Illinois wage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
Could you give an example of this? How can a company "weasel out" of paying minimum wage?

Old 03-24-2012, 03:30 PM

With or without the students the largest anchor city is still well under 100,000 population. Let's try really hard not to confuse facts with statistics generated by the US Office of Management and Budget for use by the Census Bureau and other federal agencies.

Champaign County comprises 1008 square miles, the majority of which are involved in agriculture. Piatt County is 34 miles long, containing 279,680 acres. Approximately 91% of this area is cropland, and the majority of land in Ford County is used primarily for agricultural purposes.

The 2010 US Census estimate lists Champaign County as the 10th largest County in the State of Illinois with a population of 201,081. The largest urban areas in the County are the City of Champaign (81,055), the City of Urbana (41,250), and the Village of Rantoul (13,674).
Champaign County, Illinois Local Government Information Center

Old 03-24-2012, 03:50 PM

IL is an Agriculture state. It is the #1 and #2 producer of soybeans and corn in the nation. If makes no difference what your destination city is in Illinois. You will pass through farmland and/or ranch land before you arrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois