Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,487 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am planning to shift from India to US.I have two client locations,1 is for chicago and other is for Edisson,new jersey.Please let me know which place will be good compared to cost of living,food and transportation.I heard both places are not that expensive but still I have this confusion.Please clarify this.Also let me know how much I have to pay for 1BHK in chicago.
Thanks
dvsa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 11:15 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Depends if you are talking about very basic living arangements or something that might be more suitable for a couple or a family with children.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:48 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I have no idea what the BHK eqquals in American dollars. Generally speaking the Midwest is more cost effective than either coast. If you live in New Jersey you will take a train to NYC.

If you live in Chicago you are IN the city with a large Indian community. The only question then becomes how far you are willing to drive to work? Chicago is 1000 neighborhoods, 6000 restaurants, five professional sports teams, Chinatown, and all the entertainment you will ever want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsa View Post
Hi All,

I am planning to shift from India to US.I have two client locations,1 is for chicago and other is for Edisson,new jersey.Please let me know which place will be good compared to cost of living,food and transportation.I heard both places are not that expensive but still I have this confusion.Please clarify this.Also let me know how much I have to pay for 1BHK in chicago.
Thanks
dvsa

Old 07-24-2013, 04:37 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Really? 1000 neighborhoods? Community areas in Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia When you overstate by a factor greater than 12X it sorta diminishes one'.s credability...

There are plenty employment options for follks with IT skills in New Jersery that would require either a car or reliance on non-rail transit. I beleive Edison NJ is SW of Staten Island and is not part of the more extensive commuter rail network that links directly to Manhattan.

Similarly there are lots of IT jobs both in Chicago's Loop and adjacent area that one could get to via rail transit from the suburbs (where there is large Indian population), as well as signficant numbers of IT jobs that one could get to via a personal car or buses.

Pretty sure "BHK" is common shorthand for "bedroom/hall/kitchen" in Indian rentals. The US equivlent would be simply 1br. A very modest 1br in Chicago or a safe suburb might be a fair price around $700/mo in the region. A larger more family sized place might cost several hundred dollars more.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:30 PM

n/m

Old 07-24-2013, 11:35 PM

https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/about/facts.html

Old 07-25-2013, 02:13 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,420,366 times
I know that Edison, NJ has a huge Indian community (particularly Gujarati's I believe). More than Schaumburg, Naperville, Des Plaines, Skokie, (Illinois) etc.

If you have a family and want a suburban lifestyle, Edison might be worth considering. NJ Transit operates a commuter train into Manhattan for trips to the city.

Look at this from Wikipedia:

"In the 2000 Census, 17.75% of Edison residents identified themselves as being Indian American, the highest percentage of Indian American people of any place in the United States with 1,000 or more residents identifying their ancestry."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois