Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 10:46 AM

47 posts, read 82,832 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating to Cairo when I retire at 62 in a little over a year. I'm under no illusions about the city but the cost of living and closeness to two rivers attracts me. Can any one recommend "nicer" areas of Cairo to live in? I've looked at housing on Zillow and most of the homes listed seem in good shape, if shockingly low-priced. I've also heard the utilities jack up the cost of living. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 02:11 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times
I just had a look at Zillow, and this one happened to be the first I clicked on. It says "Needs piping (copper piping stolen by vandals), needs outside ac unit (also stolen)". Sounds like quite the place to live .

Old 11-26-2016, 07:34 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Uh, go north of there to Marion area instead.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:49 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
You really need to spend a few weeks there in both summer and winter before you move - to get the feel of the weather, the community/culture, and the economics.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:22 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times
Cairo is the least desirable town in far southern Illinois. Yeah, you can buy an old Victorian style house in reasonable condition, for around $20K, but that's about the only positive. Basic goods and services are going to be 30-45 minutes away in either Kentucky or Missouri.

If you want to live near the rivers in this region, I suggest either Cape Girardeau MO or Paducah KY, and the IL towns across the river adjacent to them. Once you get beyond 10 miles from these cities or the Carbondale-Marion corridor, the living becomes challenging. Especially for seniors desiring to age in place. Seniors who are successful in doing so, tend to have large extended families that respond to their every need. An isolated senior who can no longer drive, will be dependent on government services, which given the dwindling budget for social programs in southern Illinois is an iffy proposition.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:21 AM

384 posts, read 383,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Cairo is the least desirable town in far southern Illinois. Yeah, you can buy an old Victorian style house in reasonable condition, for around $20K, but that's about the only positive. Basic goods and services are going to be 30-45 minutes away in either Kentucky or Missouri.

If you want to live near the rivers in this region, I suggest either Cape Girardeau MO or Paducah KY, and the IL towns across the river adjacent to them. Once you get beyond 10 miles from these cities or the Carbondale-Marion corridor, the living becomes challenging. Especially for seniors desiring to age in place. Seniors who are successful in doing so, tend to have large extended families that respond to their every need. An isolated senior who can no longer drive, will be dependent on government services, which given the dwindling budget for social programs in southern Illinois is an iffy proposition.
I'd love to live in Metropolis or the Carbondale-Marion area.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:04 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
Why are you limiting yourself to an Illinois town? If the decision was mine, I'm run, not walk, out of the State of Disarray called Illinois. Like another poster said, look at southern Indiana, KY, Missouri. All healthier states than IL.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:09 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Why are you limiting yourself to an Illinois town? If the decision was mine, I'm run, not walk, out of the State of Disarray called Illinois. Like another poster said, look at southern Indiana, KY, Missouri. All healthier states than IL.

100% AGREED!!!! Indiana would be a much better choice, lower taxes all the way around and the state is in a surplus!!

Old 12-15-2016, 08:24 AM

575 posts, read 615,735 times
Egypt?

Old 06-22-2018, 04:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,716 times
Here's the thing - the said the same things about Oakwood in Venice CA. Now Venice is were SnapChat relocated and the price of a two bedroom bungalow is in the millions. Look it up on Zillow. The point is, anyone who is smart enough to get there now- provided that there is not substantial flooding will reap the benefits in about 20 years can get together 10 of their friends with a small business plan to open businesses - like a gourmet chi-chi restaurant. It is the perfect spot for artists, the people who first go into a neighborhood before it costs zillions. I know of what I speak, I watched the former South Central LA of Boys in the Hood fame become South LA, get two metro trains, and now the Jungle or "J's" orginally a high income, then low income crime spot, is gentrifying, as is most of the Crenshaw Middle and Upper Middle Class (Meghan Markle's mom lives in the upper income area). Land appreciates. You would be shocked that $500,000 in LA will buy you a house in the less desirable areas east of Crenshaw, but that's a 2 bedroom 1 bath. So, if the people in Cairo are smart, they would put their pennies together to fly Jet Blue or a low fare airline to Artist groups or culinary schools to get people to invest in their City while it is still cheap. Also, they should just take out an ad and market their City the way you market the Peace Corps and VISTA, as an experience you'll love as you become the second founders of Cairo. It's happening in Detroit. It will happen in Cairo. Don't be surprised Americans, if some EB-5 visa non-American decides to buy most of Cairo as a gift for his fourth mistresses. That's how rich people roll. Well, at least that will be job creation for a little while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois