Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 12:35 PM

207 posts, read 214,111 times

Advertisements

After talking on and off for a very long time about relocating, we finally left Illinois last year and moved out west.

My husband (who is a native Chicagoan) was DONE with IL and has no desire to ever move back. I miss our network of family, friends, schools, etc. but as far as missing the actual state and all of the nonsense that comes with it? Absolutely not.

ETA: Three friends of mine left IL in 2020 as well. They landed in Arizona, Wisconsin, and New York (upstate).

Last edited by olive03; 03-20-2021 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 04:04 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
I find it interesting that there a lot of people that have recently moved to where I live (Galena area). Many are from the Chicago area but some are from other states. Yes we are still under the umbrella of Illinois problems but I wonder if there is more of a mass exodus elsewhere from Chicago than the rest of the state.

Old 03-21-2021, 07:57 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I find it interesting that there a lot of people that have recently moved to where I live (Galena area). Many are from the Chicago area but some are from other states. Yes we are still under the umbrella of Illinois problems but I wonder if there is more of a mass exodus elsewhere from Chicago than the rest of the state.
If you're moving to the Galena area, it surprises me that more haven't researched the advantages tax wise (especially in the future) of moving across the river to Iowa.

Old 03-21-2021, 08:06 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,362,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I can tell you this. The Illinois flight is going to increase exponentially in June when school is out. I know people are waiting for the end of this school year to move. We are considering it and we are going to look in Florida over Spring break. Companies are not going back in the office so people who can leave are leaving. It's only just begun.
Then some homes can finally come on the market. Around me houses sell immediately if priced right. They all can't be leaving Illinois.

Old 03-21-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
If you're moving to the Galena area, it surprises me that more haven't researched the advantages tax wise (especially in the future) of moving across the river to Iowa.
People fall in love with Galena area terrain and the quaint little town. Iowa property taxes are not bad but they tag you on vehicle licensing and Dubuque has its problems.

Old 03-21-2021, 09:15 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
People fall in love with Galena area terrain and the quaint little town. Iowa property taxes are not bad but they tag you on vehicle licensing and Dubuque has its problems.
I'll give you that on what I've heard about Dubuque as well, and we both know the reasons. I'm pretty sure their state income tax is lower than Illinois and they don't tax Social Security. The terrain outside of the town of Galena is the same extending for a long way west and north. The town itself is really cool to visit (been there maybe 5 times). Living there I think I'd get tired of the tourists after a short while though. Maybe it's not as bad as I envision to that regard.

Old 03-21-2021, 11:17 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
Quote:
and Iowa income tax is higher so why bother. In the end it's 6 one way and a half dozen the other when comparing Iowa to Galena, IL.

Regarding the remote work discussion. I've been working remote 6 years now and would never go back to an office! You can keep that commute, useless business casual clothing we had to buy (aka work uniform), the office talkers that stopped by every day to ramble on about nothing, constant interruptions breaking your focus, the boss/coworkers that arrive extra early and leave extra late making you feel guilty for leaving after 8 hours and on and on... No thanks, never doing that again!

OP, we moved away (to the Atlanta area) and then moved back. Atlanta never felt like home and it was too hot. Been back in Illinois for ~4 years now. I admit that we're now considering something in the middle with a little less Winter. I actually enjoy Winter/snow, but it's a bit much here. Unfortunately we have not found a suitable alternative that doesn't have an astronomical CoL.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 03-21-2021 at 11:45 AM..

Old 03-21-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I'll give you that on what I've heard about Dubuque as well, and we both know the reasons. I'm pretty sure their state income tax is lower than Illinois and they don't tax Social Security. The terrain outside of the town of Galena is the same extending for a long way west and north. The town itself is really cool to visit (been there maybe 5 times). Living there I think I'd get tired of the tourists after a short while though. Maybe it's not as bad as I envision to that regard.
I live 5 miles from town and rarely deal the touristy thing.

Old 03-21-2021, 11:42 AM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
They must be moving a bit more to the in-town area, as the county as a whole is losing a larger percentage of the total population since 2010. The county demographics are also becoming much more heavily skewed toward retirees as well.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...s,US/PST045219

Old 03-21-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
They must be moving a bit more to the in-town area, as the county as a whole is losing a larger percentage of the total population since 2010. The county demographics are also becoming much more heavily skewed toward retirees as well.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...s,US/PST045219
I bet when the stats are updated, there will be a gain in Jo Daviess county. There was a surplus of homes for sale in the Galena territories which were primarily second homes from Chicago people. Since covid, most of of the houses have sold to permanent residents. I am guessing most work from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois