Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 9,533 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to Southern Illinois. I’ve heard most of the southern part is conservative & red. Which cities in the southern part are more liberal (Democrat or other left leaning parties)? We don’t care about job selection as we work remotely. We are a childless by choice couple in our early 40s. Good healthcare & educated doctors are important since we have complex health issues. An area that respects immunocompromised people & wears masks (at least during high Covid transmission) is preferred. It would just be an improvement to not have people looking at us like we are aliens or morons when we wear N95 in public. Will need stores that offer curbside pickup & doctors that offer telehealth. We are fine w/ college towns. It doesn’t matter. Needs to offer low crime neighborhoods because we like to walk at night. We currently pay $2200/mo for a well kept older, 1600 sq ft 4 bd/2 ba in a good neighborhood. Would prefer to keep it under $2500/mo. for something similar. Would choose somewhere further north, but need to stay as close to FL as possible, as we have family there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2022, 06:50 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,306,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnMac89 View Post
Thinking of moving to Southern Illinois. I’ve heard most of the southern part is conservative & red. Which cities in the southern part are more liberal (Democrat or other left leaning parties)? We don’t care about job selection as we work remotely. We are a childless by choice couple in our early 40s. Good healthcare & educated doctors are important since we have complex health issues. An area that respects immunocompromised people & wears masks (at least during high Covid transmission) is preferred. It would just be an improvement to not have people looking at us like we are aliens or morons when we wear N95 in public. Will need stores that offer curbside pickup & doctors that offer telehealth. We are fine w/ college towns. It doesn’t matter. Needs to offer low crime neighborhoods because we like to walk at night. We currently pay $2200/mo for a well kept older, 1600 sq ft 4 bd/2 ba in a good neighborhood. Would prefer to keep it under $2500/mo. for something similar. Would choose somewhere further north, but need to stay as close to FL as possible, as we have family there.
Not sure how "liberal" southern Illinois is. You would need the area from Mt Vernon to Marion with Carbondale & Centralia in the mix. With your other needs these seem to be the most vibrant communities. Small dying towns like Metropolis you can avoid. Don't even look at Cairo. From this area you will take I-24 to I-75 to get to most places in FL. Depending on your final destination you may have to look further south to meet most of your other needs.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:16 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
I think your only realistic option would be Carbondale which is somewhat more on the liberal side and a college town with SIU located there.

Beyond that, maybe one of the nicer/safer burbs on the Illinois side of the St. Louis metro.

Old 07-11-2022, 09:45 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Carbondale seems to be your best bet for Southern Illinois.

Could you do a bit more to the north with either of the set of twin city college towns of Urbana-Champaign or Bloomington-Normal?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-11-2022 at 10:32 PM..

Old 07-12-2022, 05:45 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Not sure how "liberal" southern Illinois is. You would need the area from Mt Vernon to Marion with Carbondale & Centralia in the mix. With your other needs these seem to be the most vibrant communities. Small dying towns like Metropolis you can avoid. Don't even look at Cairo. From this area you will take I-24 to I-75 to get to most places in FL. Depending on your final destination you may have to look further south to meet most of your other needs.
Agree with you on everything, except Mt.Vernon and Centralia. Was you go beyond the chain restaurants and hotels along the Interstates, and get into Mt. Vernon proper, you will find the town full of vacant storefronts and dilapidated housing.

Centralia is an old railroad town that once had a large number of related maintenance shops that supplied the town with good jobs. Everything is gone except the tracks and trains that clog the grade crossings in town. Unemployment is high, with mainly life long seniors on Social Security making up the population. The town is relatively isolated, with a minimum of a 45 minute drive to larger population centers.

Metropolis meets the same fate as the other towns mentioned. But one thing you overlook, is that it's 10 minutes from Paducah KY, which has a CSA of 150,000 people, 2 decent sized hospitals, and every chain restaurant and big box store that would satisfy most people.

One mistake people make, is you can't view any of the states in this region in isolation. The population centers are generally within commuting distance. It's just that they're not necessarily in Illinois.

Old 07-12-2022, 06:22 PM

212 posts, read 230,044 times
I second Carbondale and the East St. Louis area

In addition to Champaign and Bloomington, Peoria is pretty liberal too. Northern IL is just generally more blue, as far as I know

Old 07-12-2022, 07:04 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannFrankenstein View Post
I second Carbondale and the East St. Louis area

In addition to Champaign and Bloomington, Peoria is pretty liberal too. Northern IL is just generally more blue, as far as I know
Highly recommend East St. Louis. You won't be bothered by a horrible police presence there as they pretty much vacate the town after dark. Very strong Democrat stronghold with plenty of liberal policies to keep the city from changing from how they are now.

Only problem is for you to go out for walks at night. I hope you're capable of running as well.

Old 07-12-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Highly recommend East St. Louis. You won't be bothered by a horrible police presence there as they pretty much vacate the town after dark. Very strong Democrat stronghold with plenty of liberal policies to keep the city from changing from how they are now.

Only problem is for you to go out for walks at night. I hope you're capable of running as well.
I should’ve been more specific. I meant the area around East St. Louis but hey if you’re tough, East St. Louis proper probably has some great low rent deals

Old 07-12-2022, 08:13 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannFrankenstein View Post
I should’ve been more specific. I meant the area around East St. Louis but hey if you’re tough, East St. Louis proper probably has some great low rent deals
The proper term is "Metro East". A collection of St. Louis suburbs that happen to be in Illinois.

Belleville, Collinsville, Edwardsville, are some of the more desirable ones. On the southeastern fringes are Columbia, Mascoutah, and Waterloo, which are more like hybrid small towns/suburbs.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:24 PM

Yes, and Belleville looks great. It’s got the Metrolink you can take to St. Louis and a decent downtown of its own.

(Now that I think of it, East St. Louis is so desolate, you might not have any reason to run at night if you’re the only one out)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois