Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:35 AM

8 posts, read 14,736 times

Advertisements

Just curious. I always seem to be the only one from Quincy that makes it onto interesting sites like this, just wondering if the case is identical here. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 06:07 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
Unforunatly very few questions about Quincy.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:31 AM

589 posts, read 1,108,104 times
I was raised in a small town in northeast MO -- just outside Quincy However, I now live in St. Louis.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,574 times
Default Please help

I am overly excited as I see several responses from today regarding Quincy. I am moving to the area, job already in hand, and am looking for any upscale apartments/condos/homes for rent (please tell me there is some upscale).

Purchasing a home is not in the cards right away (the love interest will be some months behind), and I have struggled to find any rental information.

Also, what part(s) of Quincy are in the per se nicer areas? Price/rent/living expences/etc. are no issue. What parts, if any, are to be avoided per se?

I begin work in 2 weeks and want to iron something out asap.

Please help me.

Thank you,

Soon to be new upstanding citizen of Quincy

Old 01-18-2011, 03:35 PM

8 posts, read 14,736 times
Connoisseur,
I have sent you a message with useful pertinent information.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:25 PM

15 posts, read 28,519 times
I was born and raised in Quincy. I moved to FL 25 years ago and don't regret it. Quincy's a beautiful town to visit, but you need to scale back your expectations if you're going to live there. Just remember, it's a very small town and talk travels.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:43 AM

589 posts, read 1,108,104 times
I think Quincy has changed dramatically in 25 years. I left the area in 1994 following graduation of college - but have family there and still visit 2 times a month. I have seem a great deal of chages just in the 17 years since that time. While I do admit that talk will travel there, the area has truly defined itself as the retail / entertainment destination for the tri state area (IL-MO-IA). Growing up, many shoppers would head to Springfield IL or St. Louis MO, while now most of the major retailers have a presence there.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:02 PM

15 posts, read 28,519 times
I disagree about Quincy changing dramatically. Most of my family still lives in Quincy and I go back for visits. I also read the Quincy Herald Whig on line.

Yes, the retail shopping has improved in Quincy over the years. However, the town has not changed in other ways. The school board is still fighting over many of the same old arguments that were going on when I left. You still have many of the same families running the town's government, social activities and organizations. The same family still runs the newspaper. The biggest employers are still Blessing Hospital and the school system. WGEM radio station is still what many locals tune in to each morning to get the local news as to who was born, who died and who was arrested. They are still trying to find a magic bullet to fix the downtown area and bring retail back to that area, which I don't see happening as everything is basically east out Broadway.

Quincy has some really nice, preserved historic homes with many styles of architecture. It has a decent park system, especially for a town of only 40,000. But let's face it -- Quincy is a basically a retail hub for all of the little farm towns and communities that surround it. The next closest town of any size is Springfield.

I stand by my statement that if you are going to relocate to Quincy, you need to be very careful of what you say and who you say it to until you learn the "organizational chart" of who's who in the town. If I were moving to Quincy, I would want to know this bit of information.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:39 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
Quincy is a river town - which is quite different than an inland town. Gossips love to talk, and all little towns have a local wag. If your life is an open book, don't worry someone will read it. If you hiding a checkered past, don't worry someone will find out. In any case you'll probably be discussed anyway. It's life in the slow lane. live smart; don't brag; don't discuss your personal business with anyone except your lawyer, your doctor or your banker. There is a federal mandatae about those folks keeping your personal inmformation private. Enoy life and don't hang out with the bad guys. You'll do fine.

Welcome to Illinois. .

Old 01-23-2011, 12:36 PM
tlw

98 posts, read 433,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwalker1776 View Post
I disagree about Quincy changing dramatically. Most of my family still lives in Quincy and I go back for visits. I also read the Quincy Herald Whig on line.

Yes, the retail shopping has improved in Quincy over the years. However, the town has not changed in other ways. The school board is still fighting over many of the same old arguments that were going on when I left. You still have many of the same families running the town's government, social activities and organizations. The same family still runs the newspaper. The biggest employers are still Blessing Hospital and the school system. WGEM radio station is still what many locals tune in to each morning to get the local news as to who was born, who died and who was arrested. They are still trying to find a magic bullet to fix the downtown area and bring retail back to that area, which I don't see happening as everything is basically east out Broadway.

Quincy has some really nice, preserved historic homes with many styles of architecture. It has a decent park system, especially for a town of only 40,000. But let's face it -- Quincy is a basically a retail hub for all of the little farm towns and communities that surround it. The next closest town of any size is Springfield.

I stand by my statement that if you are going to relocate to Quincy, you need to be very careful of what you say and who you say it to until you learn the "organizational chart" of who's who in the town. If I were moving to Quincy, I would want to know this bit of information.

I regretfully agree with Sandwalker1776's statements above. Probably knew either him or some of his family members at one time.

Could go on at length about Quincy's bungles and lack of forward vision and leadership since the early 70's. The population in 1970 was pushing 50,000. The city always licked their chops and spoke of that "magical" 50,000 number when business and industry would start taking a closer look at them. On the city-data Quincy page it is 40,061 as of July 2009. One of the national real estate sites has it as 38,200. The new census figure will not be kind, and most likely be well under 39,000. You also have to remember that these numbers wouldn't even be this high as ever since 1970 Quincy has annexed in every direction except directly west .......... though they would gladly annex the Mississippi River and West Quincy, Missouri if they could to bolster their dwindling tax base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois