Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 09:50 AM

179 posts, read 675,639 times

Advertisements

Hi. I live in Chicago, but I need some help from you guys. I recently got a speeding ticket around Indianapolis (Clark Co.) for going 21 over. I will be 30 in January and this is my very first ticket of any kind. I do not want to go to court, seeing as how it is a 3 hour drive away. Since I really can't deny speeding or prove that I had any malfunctioning equipment, should I just send in a check for $150? Or should I take the time off and go to my court date? Would they lower it perhaps? Would that be worth it? Will this add many points to my license, causing my insurance to go up? I did try to research this stuff before posting, but I am not sure how tickets work when given in states other than where you reside.
Thanks in advance for your help/advice/thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 10:58 AM

369 posts, read 681,805 times
You need to call the county that you got the ticket in. See if they offer something kind of diversion program. Most of the counties do offer something like it. It is basically a "pay use the fine and we don't tell the BMV." If the BMV doesn't get it, it doesn't go on your driving record, which means more than likely, your insurance company won't find out about it.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:00 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,440 times
You should have the option to do the online defensive driving course. Once you complete it, you can get a certificate to send in & they will not take points off your license (i.e. your insurance won't go up) Check the paperwork they gave you & see if it mentions it or as Rave said, call the county clerk's offce & ask.

I got my first ticket last year, at 36 years old. Since I was going over 15 more than the speed limit (interstate), defensive driving was the only option to "redeem" myself...the course was pretty easy to complete & you can do it at your leisure.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:27 PM

Thanks! I will look into that.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:45 AM

993 posts, read 2,291,969 times
Are you sure you were in Indianapolis? Clark Co. is across the Ohio River from Louisville, KY. No matter, the above posters are correct.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:25 PM

Oh yeah. I was south of Indianapolis. My ticket says Clark Co., I was thinking it was closer to Indianapolis than that. Sorry guys. Anyway, I looked on the website and it says they do not offer an online driving course. I was really hoping they did.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:30 PM

55 posts, read 229,207 times
I would send the money. It will cost you round trip at 2.85 a gallon of gas the same as the price of the ticket plus the fine you will end up paying.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:52 PM

13 posts, read 15,485 times
You should take advantage of one of the many benefits, moving violations is one of the areas.....in ALL 50 states the lawyers go to court on your behalf in any county and most of the time you don't need to go with them. It keeps the points off your record so your insurance rates don't go up! YEAH!!!! That is just one of the key benefits of the plan. I'm sure you know others who need this as well.....spread the word..... www.greatworkplan.com/carmenko/ You need to wait 15 days after you have the plan before you get the ticket so it cannot help with your current ticket....but for the next one!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana