Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 01:03 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,150,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
That Indiana has become the Black Hole and will start sucking jobs in like a vacuum?
ya, I agree about the black hole part. Seriously, stop drinking the kool-aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 01:07 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,647,296 times
Quote:
That Indiana has become the Black Hole and will start sucking jobs in like a vacuum?
That remains to be seen, and I'm cautiously optimistic. Improving the economy of one state whilst hurting the economy of other states doesn't help this country as a whole, so pardon me for not seeing the benefit of job-swapping.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:45 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,516,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
That remains to be seen, and I'm cautiously optimistic. Improving the economy of one state whilst hurting the economy of other states doesn't help this country as a whole, so pardon me for not seeing the benefit of job-swapping.
Ya but see thats the idea of America.
The Founding fathers probably had this in mind.
50 experiments within a country.
Thats how its going to be and competition is not bad as long as the jobs stay in AMERICA. But State job competition will be here forever.
Now regarding Wages i don't really think they will drop infact they might increase if you don't pay dues. Lets say you pay 1500 a year to a union in dues actually you could take a 1500 dollar cut to your paycheck and be in the same situation. Now companies probably won't do that though so actually this helps a little in increasing DISPOSIBLE income in Indiana.

Unions set themselves up for this by shooting themselves in the foot to many times and becoming part of the same greed and corruption that runs a good chunk of corporate america.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:03 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
founding fathers had 13 states to deal with, not 50

Old 01-28-2012, 11:04 AM

643 posts, read 1,394,225 times
Quote:
OH YA! THE RIGHT TO WORK BILL PASSED THE HOUSE! Indiana is now the 23rd right to Work State.
Better watch out Illinois and Michigan and Ohio!
Indiana House passes right-to-work legislation 55-41 | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
sign, watch your wages fall now......

Old 01-28-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
sign, watch your wages fall now......
Ill put a bet they won't but hey we will welcome jobs from California.
California would be smart not to challenge Indiana cause the clear winner is Indiana. Heck a major life sciences company relocated from California to Indianapolis last year.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:11 PM

22 posts, read 61,494 times
mattpresley you sound like you've got the California blues. You are probably there because you believed it was paradise. Then you got hit with a high cost of living, high insurance and just a lot of money being sucked out of you.

In Indiana, we really do not have your issues. Everything is just over all cheaper and most people in Indiana cannot live without their crazy weather no matter how much they say they hate it once it comes. We've Got the Indiana Optimism!

Old 01-28-2012, 01:14 PM

643 posts, read 1,394,225 times
Quote:
Ill put a bet they won't but hey we will welcome jobs from California.
California would be smart not to challenge Indiana cause the clear winner is Indiana. Heck a major life sciences company relocated from California to Indianapolis last year.
A right to work state is very benificial to a company. It's the individual employee who is hurt. Personally I have never done a cold winter or been to Indiana and I'm back in my hometown after living in Phoenix, AZ and Biloxi, MS. I have no desire to leave San Diego County again. However being unemployed I would consider moving to Indiana if offered a job even with the pay cuts. That being said I gave up on Phoenix after being laid off and not being able to find work there either(NTM I hated the place). Arizona, a right to work state, payed almost half the salary my job title demands in California. GL Indianans I hope you stay employed but be prepared to make a lot less money doing the same thing .

Old 01-28-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraner View Post
mattpresley you sound like you've got the California blues. You are probably there because you believed it was paradise. Then you got hit with a high cost of living, high insurance and just a lot of money being sucked out of you.

In Indiana, we really do not have your issues. Everything is just over all cheaper and most people in Indiana cannot live without their crazy weather no matter how much they say they hate it once it comes. We've Got the Indiana Optimism!
Don't forget the best in America Hoosier Hospitality.
Indiana is a great state and the culture and down to earth feeling is priceless.
In a world with everyone being jackasses to each other its great to still find a sanctuary with good nice honest people.

Also Matt if you want job info ill message you some.
Also you can make a little less and be in the same spot Union dues etc.
In Indiana our median Income is a little lower than the national average but cost of living is also alot lower.
So i tend to look at DISPOSIBLE income and thats what counts. Indiana has a higher disposible income ratio than other states.
Also FYI our nickname is Hoosiers.
I also do not believe Disposible income will lower at all for Hoosiers i actually think it will go up cause unless a company is hurting there is no reason to cut pay and not paying Union Dues=more disposible income.
Anyway Unions set themselves up for this by becoming Greed Machines that are very similar to Corporate America. Also throwing all that due money to the Democratic Party was just asking for this. Not all Union members support the Democratic Party and yet all their dues go to it....

Old 01-28-2012, 01:52 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,152,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
A right to work state is very benificial to a company. It's the individual employee who is hurt. Personally I have never done a cold winter or been to Indiana and I'm back in my hometown after living in Phoenix, AZ and Biloxi, MS. I have no desire to leave San Diego County again. However being unemployed I would consider moving to Indiana if offered a job even with the pay cuts. That being said I gave up on Phoenix after being laid off and not being able to find work there either(NTM I hated the place). Arizona, a right to work state, payed almost half the salary my job title demands in California. GL Indianans I hope you stay employed but be prepared to make a lot less money doing the same thing .
Indianan? What's that .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana