Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:25 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Living in Indiana for over 16 years now, I've never been asked where I attend church (in fact, I don't). I've never had anyone ask about my "personal relationship with Jesus Christ." If I mentioned that I was baptized and raised a Roman Catholic, no one shutters or blinks an eye. I have no idea whether any of my neighbors or friends attend church regularly.

The debate over "In God We Trust" is not limited to Indiana, and phrases such as "God bless you" are just courtesies. If that's your measure of religiosity, then the U.S. as a whole is religious. In fact, I'd say we probably are as a nation, just in varying local degrees. Where I lived in Arkansas, and in other parts throughout the south, when you move into a new neighborhood, you can count on being asked about your church home. Those who say that Indiana is part of the "Bible Belt" have obvioulsy not spent much time in the real "Bible Belt." Indiana may be full of believers, but it's not on the same level. We don't even have dry counties.
Moved here almost 4 yrs ago. Neighbors did ask me where I go to church. It was probably the second question that I was asked. They have asked several times in fact. Either they are in disbelief or just don't remember my answer. They attend church regularly and talk about it often. My son has told me that a few classmates have told him he will be going to hell because we do not attend church. I have not had anyone say anything like that to me. Maybe they think it. I told my son to ignore it. There are two older ladies that work at the bread counter at my local grocery store. Every time they hand me bread they say "God Bless You". There are two cashiers that say it also. It may be a friendly greeting but I think because the area is religious people just assume you are too. I grew up in the Detroit area and can't really think of a time someone has used it unless I was sneezing. Southern Michigan or should I say the whole Michiana area whether you cross the border or not has the same feel. Conservative and religious. I have seen many signs on the side of the road that have bible verses on them. There is a local restaurant chain that did a ad campaign that started a ruckus. I thought it was interesting because I am a marketing major. I actually used it in one my classes for discussion (classmates are from out of state) and they all thought it was cute. The ad didnt fly here. I never said Indiana was part of the bible belt. That is untrue IMO.

Not sure if I can post the link to the story I referred to but if not, the mod will remove. (link below)

'We're Like a Cult With Better Kool-Aid' Billboard Yanked in South Bend, Indiana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 05:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,258 times
I've lived in Indiana my entire life and I would agree that a focus on religion thins with a greater population. For example, I lived in a town with a population of 3800 where there were so many churches, services were being held in the expected historic sanctuaries but also libraries, large family homes, and even public school gymnasiums. "What church you go to?" was usually the first question asked when introduced. And, yes, as Humanists, my children were told by classmates they were going to hell. (which I was also told when I attended the lone Catholic church there as a child).... I'd agree with the post, that the more rural, the more the communities are centered on religion. Interestingly, even when I was an active member of their church, some were catty because I was born in another country... but my birth country was not the same as the majority of the community...

Having moved to a suburb of Indianapolis with a population of 80,000, I am not asked immediately what church I go to. If someone is an evangelical Christian, they are more courteous & carefully insert their faith into conversation to see how you react! I happen to live in an area established by Quakers, so there's still a small Quaker population. There are some HUGE protestant churches that freaked me out because they look like college campuses,and a solid Catholic system with private schools that funnel to an acclaimed private high school. There are synagogues in the area, a mosque with private school, and I believe the Mormon population has doubled and they will be building a temple soon, too. Indianapolis also offers a Center for Inquiry for secular humanists - a sign there is other than religious thought in the area.

Basically, the more the diversity overall, the less folks feel comfortable trying to press their beliefs onto you. The worst offenders in my experience have always been the fundamentalists of any faith system - those who believe their way is the ONLY way and feel driven to create converts. And, that, sadly, can happen in any faith system.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,574 times
Hi,

When planning courses, departmental programs, and other activities for the academic year, it is useful to remember the rich mixture of religious.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:17 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon1 View Post
Hi,

When planning courses, departmental programs, and other activities for the academic year, it is useful to remember the rich mixture of religious.

what does this mean?

Old 04-21-2012, 05:49 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,258 times
I live in a small town in central Indiana (less than 1400 residents) we don't have any restaurants,no library, no gas stations but we have 4 churches.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:48 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
I live in a small town in central Indiana (less than 1400 residents) we don't have any restaurants,no library, no gas stations but we have 4 churches.
No gas stations in a town of 1400?

Old 04-21-2012, 12:12 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Name of the town, please.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:01 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,258 times
Bunker Hill. We have a small store that had gas pumps at one time but they had them taken out. Nearest gas station is out on the highway not in town and it has limited hours.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:26 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
We don't even have dry counties.
Can't buy a 6 pack of beer at Kroger on a Sunday though.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:35 PM

24 posts, read 34,940 times
oh gosh...there are so many different types of Christian churches in northeast Indiana. There are alot of Amish communities in the northeast area, most are Mennonite, I believe. There are other non-christian places, but not as many as Christians. You name the religion, we prolly have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana