Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 04:47 PM

137 posts, read 448,403 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! First off I want to say that I am not trying to say anything unkind about the city of Louisville. However, I am living in Northern Kentucky at the time and I know how we are perceived by those living in the, "bigger city" across the river (Cincinnati) and was curious how Southern Indiana Hoosiers are treated. Also, do you like living near a larger city which is normally the focus as opposed to your own towns or cities in your own state? The Southern Indiana region near Louisville and the Northern Kentucky area near Cincinnati are so similar, I was curious to know how things are there. Thank you very much for any and all feedback you can give me! God bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 04:55 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Well the whole region is dysfunctional with lets see the I-65 and US 31 bridges serving the metro area
Honestly this is a major issue and Louisville will end up like detroit by cutting its metro in half and not doing something to fix this issue.
Now i am happy to hear that Mitch Daniels and the Gov of Kentucky reached an agreement on the bridges project that is REALLY needed.
But thats one reason why i can never live in Louisville having a river divide a metro and only 2 bridges serve the area is not good to me.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:52 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Honestly this is a major issue and Louisville will end up like detroit by cutting its metro in half and not doing something to fix this issue.
You can not honestly think this is true. You think a river is going to turn Louisville into Detroit? Do you even know anything about Louisville or Detroit. Furthermore, do you live in Southern Indiana, that region the OP is asking about?

Old 01-02-2012, 09:51 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,209 times
I've lived on both sides of the river and have never felt looked down upon by anyone. I think in general there is a bit of a disconnect between the two sides, but no more than one might see in other cities. Honestly I would say there is no more dysfunction between Louisville and southern Indiana than I've seen between the north and south sides of Indy, which are not divided by a river. Perhaps less.

The inconvenience of travel between the two sides definitely doesn't help though. Additional bridges should have been built years ago, but to the credit of government on both sides of the river, there has been a good effort at getting the I-64 bridge reopened as quickly as possible, there are plans to complete additional bridges, and there is a great pedestrian walkway project nearing completion.

In the end, it's one big community. Students from Louisville go to IUS, students from Indiana go to U of L (and get in state tuition btw). Many Hoosiers go to shop at St. Matthews and Oxmoor or go to eat and bar hop on Bardstown, but many Louisvillians also travel to Indiana to go to places like Huber Winery or Derby Dinner playhouse or to eat and enjoy the great skyline views from Indiana.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:18 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,209 times
Quote:
Well the whole region is dysfunctional with lets see the I-65 and US 31 bridges serving the metro area
Now i am happy to hear that Mitch Daniels and the Gov of Kentucky reached an agreement on the bridges project that is REALLY needed.
But thats one reason why i can never live in Louisville having a river divide a metro and only 2 bridges serve the area is not good to me.
While I agree there is some dysfunction in the Louisville government, this post is ridiculous. It completely ignores the fact that there has been a third MAJOR artery across the river for what, 50 years? And that it has only temporarily been out of commission, and that there are plans to add additional crossings.

Furthermore, whether it was intended or not your wording specifically implies that Detroit's metro being divided in half by a waterway is a major reason why that city is experiencing serious decline. Even if you ignore the fact that Detroit is not even close to being divided in half with at least 4 million people on the Detroit side of the metro and maybe 300-400k in Canada, this theory ignores all the other economic factors that went into Detroit's decline and absolutely can not be used to compare to what might happen to Louisville in the future if infrastructure problems should persist.

I'm sorry to be so harsh, but the vast majority of your posts are unreasonably optimistic and ignore several major factors which make it obvious why the post isn't logical. It's like you're basing your city planning and wishes on a SimCity model where a major airport only costs 100,000 to build and there are no obstacles to anything you want to happen.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
I've lived on both sides of the river and have never felt looked down upon by anyone. I think in general there is a bit of a disconnect between the two sides, but no more than one might see in other cities. Honestly I would say there is no more dysfunction between Louisville and southern Indiana than I've seen between the north and south sides of Indy, which are not divided by a river. Perhaps less.

The inconvenience of travel between the two sides definitely doesn't help though. Additional bridges should have been built years ago, but to the credit of government on both sides of the river, there has been a good effort at getting the I-64 bridge reopened as quickly as possible, there are plans to complete additional bridges, and there is a great pedestrian walkway project nearing completion.

In the end, it's one big community. Students from Louisville go to IUS, students from Indiana go to U of L (and get in state tuition btw). Many Hoosiers go to shop at St. Matthews and Oxmoor or go to eat and bar hop on Bardstown, but many Louisvillians also travel to Indiana to go to places like Huber Winery or Derby Dinner playhouse or to eat and enjoy the great skyline views from Indiana.
Exactly.
There was some progress thought Mitch Daniels and the Kentucky Gov signed an agreement.
But if Louisville is going to contiune to grow the lack of bridges across the Ohio river needs to be addressed very soon.
Also my post is harsh cause i can't grasp how Louisville waits until now to address this bridge issue when obiviously as you said it should of been addressed years ago.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:03 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Exactly.
There was some progress thought Mitch Daniels and the Kentucky Gov signed an agreement.
But if Louisville is going to contiune to grow the lack of bridges across the Ohio river needs to be addressed very soon.
Also my post is harsh cause i can't grasp how Louisville waits until now to address this bridge issue when obiviously as you said it should of been addressed years ago.
Louisville doesn't need New Albany and Clarksville to be a success. New Albany and Clarksville need Louisville. Louisville should not and does not care about whether these towns in Indiana have access to Louisville. You work in Louisville, live on the Kentucky side.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:45 PM

156 posts, read 377,527 times
Then there's the narrative of the stranger coming into a new town:

I sat at the edge of town and was approached by a man who asked, “How are the people who live in this town”?
I replied to the man, “How were the people who lived in the town you just left”?
The man replied, “They were disrespectful and unfriendly and gossipy and wouldn’t help others and I couldn’t wait to leave”.
I told him honestly, “That is the same for the people who live in this town”.
The man continued down the road and out of town in low spirits.

I sat at the edge of town and was approached by a second man who asked, “How are the people who live in this town”?
I replied to the second man, “How were the people who lived in the town you just left”?
The second man replied, “They were respectful and friendly and always willing to help others and I hated to leave”.
I told him honestly, “That is the same for the people who live in this town”.
The second man entered town in high spirits.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Louisville doesn't need New Albany and Clarksville to be a success. New Albany and Clarksville need Louisville. Louisville should not and does not care about whether these towns in Indiana have access to Louisville. You work in Louisville, live on the Kentucky side.
Easier said than done.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:45 PM

5 posts, read 9,684 times
I'm a transplant to southern Indiana from Detroit 20 years ago. I work in Louisville and live in Indiana(Floyds Knobs). I have found the people of Louisville always quite friendly and never felt they treated me differently because I live in Indiana. In fact, if anything many are jealous that I have the benefit of lower property taxes and living in a desireable "country" type suburban setting yet am only 12-15 minutes north of downtown Louisville. Yes they, Louisvillians, have had their vested reasons for not wanting more than 3 bridges across the Ohio, but it appears shortly 2 bridges will begin construction to greatly benefit the entire region. There is substantial exchange of commerce and culture to the benefit of both sides of the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana