Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 11:37 AM

3 posts, read 12,851 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking into the Lafayette, IN area due to a job opportunity, and I am looking for some advice regarding recommended towns/neighborhoods. The job would be off the State Road 26 E area, and we would look to stay within a 20 mile radius of this region. We are in our early 30's, we have no intentions for children, but we would like a quiet community. We would love a single family home (we are over the condo thing) and very much appreciate what a planned community could have to offer. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 08:49 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
26 East removes you from the core of Lafayette, out into the sprawl of the east side of Lafayette into the rural wilds of Tippecanoe County. I have to assume you are then looking into anything east of Lafayette along 26, because 26 is a long road that crossed the entire county.

There are some neighborhoods just east of I-65 along 26 that seem nice. I don't have any experience with them. I have family that used to live on the southern fringes of Lafayette near 9th Street and Twyckenham Blvd. That was a nice quiet area.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 AM

94 posts, read 274,472 times
I just moved to Lafayette in January 2012. My husband had been here for a year working at his new job while I was still in VA trying to sell our house there.

If you want to live within Lafayette, it really doesn't matter which side you live on - you'll still be pretty close The town is easy to navigate (and I can get lost going around a corner!) and it's unusual to run into a traffic tie-up

I live on the south side in a subdivision called Brookville on Brookside Drive. It's a great neighborhood, close to shopping, parks, etc. The homes are lovely but not expensive, the yards are big and most are fenced. I love it.

My husband works downtown and the commute is easy.

Our realtor was Kevin Weaver (Coldwell Banker/Shook Realty) and he is well versed in the town, very likeable, and will tell you just what he thinks about a property. He really tries to match you and your needs to the property he shows you. His wife Leslie is also an agent and they're both very helpful.

Have you visited here? It has a nice small town feel but then you have Purdue U. in West Lafayette along with all the culture a University brings with it.

My suggestion is to come and look at the houses available and pick on based on your likes - getting to work will be a breeze wherever you are

Old 09-10-2012, 02:51 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,110,038 times
I am three years removed from the area, but there are a lot of newer subdivisions (meaning less than 15 years old) that might meet your standards. Lots of young urbanites, not a lot of kids. I can picture a few of them in my head, but can't remember the names right off - sorry, 3 years is a bit of a stretch for me! Pretty much everywhere you would want to live is within 20 miles of Lafayette, most are within 10 miles of downtown. We had a nice place on the south side in Triple J, and there are two other neighborhoods in that area. Ashton Woods is one, can't remember the other. Here is a listing of *most* of the names:
Lafayette Indiana Real Estate Subdivisions

West Lafayette Indiana Real Estate Subdivisions

Lots of nice communities and beautiful homes. There are some things I miss about the area, but after 15 years in the city, I wouldn't trade where I live now!

Old 09-19-2012, 10:51 PM

801 posts, read 2,566,721 times
I've found Purdue to be a much more sedate campus than other Big Ten and midwestern schools. Even if you wind up in West Lafayette closer to campus, you'll still have more quiet than you'd expect.

There's a neighborhood of older homes called New Chauncey that's just a little bit north of campus. Very convenient, lots of faculty members own homes in the area, lots to walk to, and definitely quiet at night.

Use BoilerApartments.com to see what's available in the area, or Craigslist. Remember that the campus property management companies often also own or manage buildings that are further removed from campus, so its worth browsing their listings.

West Lafayette is more suburban (generally speaking) and Lafayette is more urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana