Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,749 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking of moving to the area in the next year. We have two boys 6 yr old and a 7 month old (right now) we also have two dogs. We were wondering where some of the good places to live were. Also which school districts were the best.

We have done a lot of research about the area but we always feel its best to ask people who really live in the area. We are moving there kind of blind, we do not know anyone who lives there but it will be between both sets of grand parents which is good for the kids. We were hoping we could get some insider perspective.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 06:57 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acohea View Post
My wife and I are thinking of moving to the area in the next year. We have two boys 6 yr old and a 7 month old (right now) we also have two dogs. We were wondering where some of the good places to live were. Also which school districts were the best.

We have done a lot of research about the area but we always feel its best to ask people who really live in the area. We are moving there kind of blind, we do not know anyone who lives there but it will be between both sets of grand parents which is good for the kids. We were hoping we could get some insider perspective.

Thank You
I guess it depends what type of area you want to live. If you want to live the suburban life, look north of Morgan Ave and east of 41 or into Warrick County. If you are looking more rural, look north of the airport; or Warrick County. If you want to live in the city, the area by U of E is nice, Haynie's Corner if you are looking for a more artsy urban area (by Evansville standards). Reitz Hill is nice on the west side.

If you are worried about high schools, the general opinion in Evansville is anywhere but Bosse. Having said that, I know grads from all EVSC high schools and none of them had a bad experience. I do think Bosse gets a bad rap sometimes, but it is without question the most "inner-city" of the Evansville high schools. You probably have to be more mindful of feeders in the Bosse area.

West Terrace is a good elementary school. So is Cynthiana Heights. I know a couple of teachers at Stockwell on the east side, its nice enough.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:32 AM

3 posts, read 6,450 times
I went to the University of Evansville in the mid-70's and lived in Evansville briefly in the 80's. The poster above gave some good advice about neighborhoods. There are also places to avoid - although actually, there are pockets of undesirable neighborhoods mixed in with safer ones. Example: I have friends that live on Riverside Drive in a really cool neighborhood with big old houses and a view of the Ohio River. Just three blocks from their house is an area I wouldn't walk alone in - and I'm a pretty big guy. I would have chosen Evansville as a place to live much more in the 70's than I would today. That's just because I remember when downtown was bustling and it was a rather small town with a bit of a big city feel. I highly advise visiting job sites like Career Builder to get a feel for the job market. Reading the newspaper online is another good way to get an idea of what a town is like. I still have many friends in the area. If you have specific questions I could probably ask them.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:08 PM

271 posts, read 458,881 times
I have a question for the Evansville posters, I'm moving next May and currently my two favorite apartments is one in the west side really close to USI and other one east side? I'm not sure its near the mall. I'm torn between the two because the 1st is really close to USI so I don't have to worry about traffic but the 2nd one is close to many amenities like restaurants/shopping/whole foods/etc. My question is which side of town would be better if I'm going to USI 4 days a week and how bad is the traffic on lloyd expressway during rush hours? Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana