Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 06:02 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,674 times

Advertisements

I remember someone saying somewhere on City Data a long while back that he/she didn't trust Indiana drivers. The person said that whenever he/she sees a license plate from Indiana on the road, the first thought is "Uh-oh, what is this guy/girl going to do...."

That's always in my mind whenever I see an Indiana plate now. I don't see many of them. But the handful of times that I have, I thought about what that person said, and a couple of times, sure enough.... the person did something weird. I have to admit, I believe in the power of suggestion to some degree. You sort of get what you expect, and that thought is sort of stuck in my head now.

Would you, as Indiana natives, subscribe to this?
And if so, does the degree of bad driving vary in different regions of the state?

Or better yet, people who have moved from elsewhere, or people from neighboring states who share the road with Indiana drivers frequently... what do you think?

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 07:20 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Indiana drivers are, to me, very average and too nice. Outside Indianapolis, they're passive to the point its annoying, though I've always attributed that too small town people and not Indiana. The worst drivers I have ever encountered were in Louisville. The most intense road rage I've ever seen was in Evansville, a guy from Minnesota was yelling at another car because the Indiana guy wouldn't move out of Minnesota's way.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 04-28-2013 at 07:29 PM..

Old 04-28-2013, 07:24 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPLove View Post
I remember someone saying somewhere on City Data a long while back that he/she didn't trust Indiana drivers. The person said that whenever he/she sees a license plate from Indiana on the road, the first thought is "Uh-oh, what is this guy/girl going to do...."

That's always in my mind whenever I see an Indiana plate now. I don't see many of them. But the handful of times that I have, I thought about what that person said, and a couple of times, sure enough.... the person did something weird. I have to admit, I believe in the power of suggestion to some degree. You sort of get what you expect, and that thought is sort of stuck in my head now.

Would you, as Indiana natives, subscribe to this?
And if so, does the degree of bad driving vary in different regions of the state?

Or better yet, people who have moved from elsewhere, or people from neighboring states who share the road with Indiana drivers frequently... what do you think?

Just curious.
I've lived in a few states and driven in many more. Every state has good and bad drivers. Trying to characterize driving based on locale is silly, IMO.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I've lived in a few states and driven in many more. Every state has good and bad drivers. Trying to characterize driving based on locale is silly, IMO.
Well, of course. But there are also some generalizations that tend to be true too. Such as "Minnesota Nice"? Sure, many folks from MN are great and are not that way, but there's no denying it does exist.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:51 PM

And special thanks to the nameless person who responded via PM to my question, because he/she didn't want to suffer the potential wrath of strangers. Enough said, I think. LOL

Those responses are welcome too!

Old 04-28-2013, 07:56 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPLove View Post
Well, of course. But there are also some generalizations that tend to be true too. Such as "Minnesota Nice"? Sure, many folks from MN are great and are not that way, but there's no denying it does exist.
But "Minnesota Nice" goes way beyond driving behavior.

There's not a dumb move made by an Indiana driver that hasn't been copied by a driver from another state.

For the record, I'm not a native Hoosier.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:40 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Yeah, wherever you go you're always going to hear someone who is not from that area start bad mouthing the local drivers. While living in Mississippi I always hear about how poor Mississippi drivers are, and I'm from Indiana originally. Mississippi drivers are very passive and easy going, most of them only go the speed limit or 5MPH under.

Indiana drivers are largely the same, mostly because Indiana is not a very urban state. Most drivers come from small cities or small towns or rural country areas and are not used to heavy traffic and aggressive driving.

You'll have idiots ANYWHERE you go. The main thing is, you have a lot more aggressive drivers in a large metro area, like Chicago, and to a lesser extent Indianapolis. The majority of drivers in the midwest in general are easy going and relaxed. I'd be willing to bet the person you heard this from is not originally from Indiana and did not spend a significant amount of time living in Indiana either.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:16 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,721,910 times
If I wanted to make a generalization,
The problem isn't that Indiana drivers are bad, it's the Illinois and Michigan drivers that move here and become IN drivers that make us look horrible.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:02 PM

144 posts, read 342,241 times
For work I have to drive into Michigan a few times a week, sometimes up to Kalamazoo. And I have to say Michigan drivers are the worst I have encountered. They tend to take more chances, like not slowing down with enough time or pulling out right in front of you. And I too get annoyed by some of the country bumpkin drivers that are to hesitant, but I would prefer that to the drivers who are too quick to shoot out.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:57 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
If I wanted to make a generalization,
The problem isn't that Indiana drivers are bad, it's the Illinois and Michigan drivers that move here and become IN drivers that make us look horrible.
Agreed 100%
We should put up a sign at the Illinois and Michigan border saying: Leave your bad driving habits behind please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana