U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2014, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Northern Indiana
5,929 posts, read 8,043,122 times
Reputation: 4291

Advertisements

Over the past two Christmases I have gone home to visit family, as I always do and I have garnered up a small collection of photos I have taken of South Bend. I focused highly on the downtown area, because I think for a city its size South Bend has a decently sized downtown with a good skyline. I also focused on some of South Bend's more historic neighborhoods, and a few of its suburban ones. Hope you enjoy the pictures.
















These are all pictures I took of South Bend in the late December 2013 time frame. Luckily the weather was kind enough to give me clear blue skies. These pictures below are pictures I took of downtown in late December of 2012. This weather is typical of the area.









Below are some pictures of a historic riverfront neighborhood and an other older inner city neighborhood.




























Here's the neighborhood I was staying at over the holidays.



Here's my elementary school that I went to in South Bend.





And lastly, here are some pictures of a rough looking area off of Sample Street in South Bend.









Anyways, hope you enjoyed my picture sharing of South Bend. Sorry for the bad pictures at the end, but I fought those houses and buildings to be kind of interesting looking and wanted to share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2014, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Northern Indiana
5,929 posts, read 8,043,122 times
Reputation: 4291
Somehow I don't think this picture made it into the running, so here it is.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2014, 08:20 PM
 
4,869 posts, read 4,419,156 times
Reputation: 7196
Some great pictures. Some of those homes are on Jefferson Blvd (newer mansions) and then there
are other older mansions on Colfax and Washington Streets.
Here are some additional buildings.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...courthouse.jpg

http://www.asce.org/uploadedImages/C...tation_ART.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...South_Bend.jpg

Studebaker Mansion
http://www.monon.monon.org/sobendpixs/studebaker1.jpg

Copshalom home owned by the Oliver family and everything inside has been left in tack when the last
elderly Oliver passed away
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zqKaTWmR1-...Copshaholm.jpg

The interior of the LaFayette building
http://photos2.zillow.com/p_d/IS-1fn0skl3lc09p.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2014, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Northern Indiana
5,929 posts, read 8,043,122 times
Reputation: 4291
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Some great pictures. Some of those homes are on Jefferson Blvd (newer mansions) and then there
are other older mansions on Colfax and Washington Streets.
Here are some additional buildings.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...courthouse.jpg

http://www.asce.org/uploadedImages/C...tation_ART.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...South_Bend.jpg

Studebaker Mansion
http://www.monon.monon.org/sobendpixs/studebaker1.jpg

Copshalom home owned by the Oliver family and everything inside has been left in tack when the last
elderly Oliver passed away
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zqKaTWmR1-...Copshaholm.jpg

The interior of the LaFayette building
http://photos2.zillow.com/p_d/IS-1fn0skl3lc09p.jpg
Thank you! I just feel that South Bend gets a lot of hate for being a rundown and gloomy looking kind of city. I think it's a lot more than people give it credit for. Nice pictures you shared there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 07:11 AM
 
4,118 posts, read 4,287,375 times
Reputation: 8924
I like seeing all the photos. I wish there were more of them. I have a friend who lived in South Bend and she keeps encouraging me to retire there. When I look online at other photos it looks gloomy like stated above. But your photos show a very different side. My friend really likes it there.

Yes, the last few are depressing looking but then again I live right outside DC and there are wonderful places and then not so nice places. It is city life.

Thanks!

Last edited by brava4; 06-18-2014 at 08:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 09:22 AM
 
4,869 posts, read 4,419,156 times
Reputation: 7196
The second house on the first post is the current Mayor's house (North Shore). On the link, it is the one
with the columns and the house to the left is the Leeper home. The park was named after him.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6886...3bkdWwuazg!2e0

Links to the Past: Michiana History - Record Details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Northern Indiana
5,929 posts, read 8,043,122 times
Reputation: 4291
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I like seeing all the photos. I wish there were more of them. I have a friend who lived in South Bend and she keeps encouraging me to retire there. When I look online at other photos it looks gloomy like stated above. But your photos show a very different side. My friend really likes it there.

Yes, the last few are depressing looking but then again I live right outside DC and there are wonderful places and then not so nice places. It is city life.

Thanks!
Oh I can always upload more! I know I have more somewhere, I'd just have to go looking. Unfortunately many of the locals in the South Bend area make it out to be a very dangerous and declining city, while South Bend is not sparred of crime, it really isn't what I'd consider a dangerous city. There are plenty of affluent areas in and around the city. I do think that South Bend is poised for a comeback, there has been a lot of developmental ideas floating around the downtown area, some works are already commissioned and some companies are setting up shop there. Not to mention the proximity to the prestigious University of Notre Dame which draws in a lot of visitors and diversity to the area.

Good thing about South Bend compared to D.C. is traffic! Traffic is never bad in South Bend, unless it's a Notre Dame home game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Northern Indiana
5,929 posts, read 8,043,122 times
Reputation: 4291
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
The second house on the first post is the current Mayor's house (North Shore). On the link, it is the one
with the columns and the house to the left is the Leeper home. The park was named after him.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6886...3bkdWwuazg!2e0

Links to the Past: Michiana History - Record Details
Really? The mayor who's currently deployed in Afghanistan right? Had no idea he lived there! I like that historic neighborhood on the riverfront.

Also, I really like him, he seems to be just what South Bend needs, and he comes across as a rather brilliant and well spoken man. I like that he's not part of the traditional establishment of Democrats in South Bend, he's already knocked heads with a few of the older city council members, the city should move in a positive direction under him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 07:14 PM
 
4,869 posts, read 4,419,156 times
Reputation: 7196
Yes, that's his house. Posted a few more historic buildings that you may want to see next time you visit.

Now the People's Church (former First Presbyterian) but what a beauty.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...South_Bend.jpg

http://www.stjosephcountyindiana.com...Washington.jpg

Once a large Polish population - the neighborhood has changed
St. Casimir Parish, South Bend - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notice there are two Frank Lloyd Wright homes.
Historic South Bend Homes, Page 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2014, 05:54 AM
 
4,118 posts, read 4,287,375 times
Reputation: 8924
baileyvpotter.... thanks for the links!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top