Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 10:46 AM

133 posts, read 280,652 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We are I the rested in moving to Bloomington, but are pretty concerned about tornados. How do locals feel about this? I get conflicting stats online. Are tornados a big risk? We would be living in a condo or tow home for the first year.

Any help would be so appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 11:35 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC77 View Post
Hi!

We are I the rested in moving to Bloomington, but are pretty concerned about tornados. How do locals feel about this? I get conflicting stats online. Are tornados a big risk? We would be living in a condo or tow home for the first year.

Any help would be so appreciated!
Bloomington probably averages about one a week in the spring and summer. The locals barely notice them anymore.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:56 AM

^ Jokes?

Old 07-28-2014, 12:00 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Bloomington probably averages about one a week in the spring and summer. The locals barely notice them anymore.

I've said this before on this forum, but this concern about tornadoes amuses me. Risks from nature exist everywhere. With a tornado, one has some warning of the potential risk. I've lived in the midwest for my entire middle aged life. I've never been in a tornado. Between college and making B-ton our home I've lived in B-ton for almost 20 years. I've never experienced a tornado. I think one touched down in the north western part of the county a few years ago. In the past 13 years, we've headed to the basement about 1/2 dozen times. I know the tornado sirens have alarmed far more often than that, but that is because they sound even if the possibility exists anywhere in the county. Very often one part of the county experiences storms that the other part does not. Because my kids were/are IU students I'm signed up to receive alerts from IU. I've probably received 3 weather related warnings over the past 7 or so years.

BTW--in the past 13 years I've experienced 2 earthquakes--one of which I felt and the other which I just "heard." That was far more confusing than any tornado weather.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:53 PM

I've just always thought of IN as "tornado country", and since we won't be near a basement for the first year or so, I want to be sure it won't be a big concern. I don't want to be afraid every time it gets cloudy!

Old 07-28-2014, 04:58 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
I don't want to be afraid every time it gets cloudy!

Tornado's are a possibility in several states. rrah has given you a good synopsis.
Top 10 Tornado Cities - weather.com

Indiana this year:
National Weather Service confirms 10 tornadoes in Indiana | WANE.com

Old 07-29-2014, 06:17 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
I've just always thought of IN as "tornado country", and since we won't be near a basement for the first year or so, I want to be sure it won't be a big concern. I don't want to be afraid every time it gets cloudy!
Do tornadoes happen in Indiana? Of course. But just heed the warnings when one is listed. I haven't lived in Bloomington but I've lived in Indiana for 35 out of my 36 years and I've never been through a tornado. I only remember a handful of times I've ever taken cover in those 35 years and none of those times did a tornado actually hit.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:31 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
In the last 20 years, I can count on one hand the number of times we've had to take cover for a tornado.

(once in Indiana, once in Kentucky)

Old 07-29-2014, 08:28 AM

Thanks for the perspective, everybody.

Would you guys feel unsafe without a basement?

Old 07-29-2014, 08:49 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Thanks for the perspective, everybody.
Would you guys feel unsafe without a basement?
During my 35 years in Indiana, I only saw a small funnel cloud once - nothing like you'd imagine
what Dorothy saw. The first choice is a basement (but there are many homes in the state that
do not have them due to the type of soil such as too much clay or sand).

Everything you need to know: Tornado safety | Earth | EarthSky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana