Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 08:56 AM

7 posts, read 20,738 times

Advertisements

I recently got a job at Cummins where I will be working Columbus, IN. I am young female professional that is from out of town and am unsure of where to rent?! I looked at Columbus, but it feels like more of a place for families. Cummins is a huge company, where do all of the younger professionals live? I don't mind a commute -and will actually prefer a commute if it means I can spend my free time in a lively, younger environment.

Any suggestions?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 10:25 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikibear View Post
I recently got a job at Cummins where I will be working Columbus, IN. I am young female professional that is from out of town and am unsure of where to rent?! I looked at Columbus, but it feels like more of a place for families. Cummins is a huge company, where do all of the younger professionals live? I don't mind a commute -and will actually prefer a commute if it means I can spend my free time in a lively, younger environment.

Any suggestions?!
You have to consider the commute in winter. I would consider residing in Columbus and heading out on weekends for fun (Bloomington, Indy, Louisville, Cincinnati, etc.)

Old 08-22-2014, 11:33 AM

I currently commute an hour to work and I live in the Midwest. I am very familiar with how winter can be. I have considered that, but I am unsure if Columbus would be a good place to live and work. It's such a cute town, but I don't want to live there only to work- my life is part work part living. Just want to make sure that I can opportunity after 6 pm as well as the weekend! Thank you for your suggestion.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:10 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikibear View Post
I currently commute an hour to work and I live in the Midwest. I am very familiar with how winter can be. I have considered that, but I am unsure if Columbus would be a good place to live and work. It's such a cute town, but I don't want to live there only to work- my life is part work part living. Just want to make sure that I can opportunity after 6 pm as well as the weekend! Thank you for your suggestion.
If you're looking for lively, then your only real choice would be living in downtown Indy then (Mass Ave, Fountain Square, or DT proper). Bloomington is relatively close but you do not want to State Road 46 in the winter (it is narrow and winds through very hill terrain). It's 45 min from DT Indy to Columbus. Maybe a bit more with rush traffic, although 65 south from downtown in the morning and north to DT in the afternoon isn't heavily congested. If you can't telecommute for weather, you may have a few really atrocious commutes. You might even consider just renting a hotel room in Columbus for 2-3 days during that one bad storm that hits per years.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:40 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,724 times
Hello Kikibear --- First, congratulations on your new job. That is terrific news! And second, congratulations on finding a job in a great and livable Midwest town. I do not live in Columbus, but have been doing some casual research on this exact subject for a couple of years because my son-in-law has been considering pursuing employment at Cummins, too, after his graduation. Here's my take on the situation, combined with some "Momish" thoughts thrown in ----

First of all --- Many professional positions are salaried jobs, and there are going to be times when you may need to come in early and/or leave late when working on a project coming up to deadline. That is the way it is, and why add a long commute if you don't have to? There are going to be many ways to meet "young" people in a new community. First, start at work: Day one -- get to know the other new employees starting at the exact same time. KEEP IN TOUCH with them even if they are in different departments. Sign up for a company committee! Yes, it takes time, but this is how you break in.

There are bike paths in Columbus. Many employees ride their bikes to work. Try doing this a few times - you will meet some fellow cyclers at the bike rack. Get to know them, introduce yourself. Get yourself a puppy and go to the neighborhood dog park. A young man in my office just met his future wife this way. Head down to the Saturday Farmer's Market [in season] and dawdle around visiting with people. You will meet other Cummin's employees and a host of other nice people too. Volunteer for a committee -- Maybe you could learn to be a Docent for Architectural Foot Tours around Columbus. Put a sign up on the bulletin board at work and start an employee group that goes together to theater productions, from local high schools to Indianapolis. Show up at a float building event for a company float [this is a blast]. Consider a church, temple, or synagogue. They have events for all ages. Stroll around a Cruise night and visit with the car/truck/bike enthusiasts. Sign up for a fundraiser walk on a Saturday morning. Join the coed softball team at Cereland Park [you have checked out their website, right?]. Yes, they probably have Happy Hours in Columbus and yes, you might just meet someone there. Check out classes at the Columbus Parks and Recreation site.

To sum it up, I would live close to work and just jump in and get involved. You will find your niche and make friends. BTY, there is NO rule that says you only have to be friends with a 20-something. A family member of mine, 20-ish, became great friends with a 65-ish guy he met at a model helicopter flying field. Variety is good, and healthy.
Again, Kikibear, congratulations, and I hope you like your new job. And stay safe. Cheers!

Last edited by HollyhockGarden; 08-25-2014 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: paragraph gaps

Old 08-25-2014, 01:03 PM

53 posts, read 81,630 times
I started working in Columbus last January. Many of the young professionals that live in the Columbus area either live downtown at the Cole apartment or where I live, at Riverstone apartments. I don't know the exact percentage but most of the people in my complex work at Cummins, Faurecia, Toyota or one of the other large manufacturers in the area. I'm basing that on the number of parking tags I see hanging from the rear view mirrors parked around the complex.

In December, my wife and I are moving from Columbus to Bloomington, Indiana. It takes me 45 minutes in good weather to commute to work in Columbus. For someone your age, the downtown Bloomington area and around campus may be what you are looking for.

If you choose to live in River Stone it's about a 40 minute drive over to Bloomington or about the same to run up to Greenwood. Greenwood is the other location where many people live who commute daily to Columbus.

We are moving to Bloomington because that is where my wife will be working and I am better able to do the commute than her based on our work schedules. Otherwise I'd be happy living near where I am now. Within 45 minutes I can be in Downtown Bloomington, Greenwood or Columbus and all of them offer decent restaurants and nightly social activities of some type or another.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:08 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,430 times
If you really don't mind the commute, Downtown Indianapolis would probably be the best choice. Bloomington obviously has a lot of young people, but it's more college students than young professionals. Pretty much all of Indy's downtown apartment buildings are filled with young professionals. Plus, Cummins is getting ready to build a large office building in Downtown Indy, so there may be a chance for you to transfer to those offices in the future.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:00 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
If you really don't mind the commute, Downtown Indianapolis would probably be the best choice. Bloomington obviously has a lot of young people, but it's more college students than young professionals. Pretty much all of Indy's downtown apartment buildings are filled with young professionals. Plus, Cummins is getting ready to build a large office building in Downtown Indy, so there may be a chance for you to transfer to those offices in the future.
As stated above, Cummins is going to be locating a large office building in downtown Indy. Not sure exactly what your job will be, but if you see possible promotions in the corporate office area, living in the Indy area would be a good idea.

I see a lot of questions like yours on CD, but what I don't see is specifics. If by "lively" environment you mean you want to be able to drink to over the limit for driving, then I would live in downtown Indy, as you don't have to worry about getting a DUI and cab rides home will be cheap if you don't feel like walking. If your view of a "lively" environment doesn't revolve around constant, regular consumption of alcohol, but rather along the lines of sporting events, theater, concerts, shopping, etc., where you may or may not drink, but never more than two or so servings, then you might want to consider the Greenwood area near I-65. Driving won't be all that bad to Columbus.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:02 PM

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!! Everyone brings up all the positives and negatives that I've already considered. Don't we all wish there was a magical way to find out what would be the best fit for us in times like these?

I think at the end of the day, I am moving to a new city where I don't know anyone and want to find a community with people like me. The only thing I am weary about, living in Columbus, is that- like my current job, I lived in a community where everyone I worked with lived in a close vicinity and at times this was awkward on the weekends.

I am used to the commute now, so I know that I will be comfortable with the long drive from Indy, yet Columbus would be more convenient. Further, I heard Columbus is hard to find a rental. Long wait lists. Maybe, I won't have a choice, but to live elsewhere. Again, that you all for your help!

Old 09-04-2014, 08:50 AM

53 posts, read 81,630 times
I applied for an apartment in River Stone apartments and moved in two weeks later. Definitely not a long wait. Unfortunately you will find it full of other Cummins employees if you don't want your neighbors to be coworkers. No one can make the decision for you. I noticed in another post that you are from near South Bend. I'm not originally from there but spent the last eight years living close to Granger before moving down to Columbus this past January.

Last edited by berlinlake; 09-04-2014 at 09:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana