Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 07:45 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times

Advertisements

There are many differences overall and a few similarities as someone who lives in Indiana, (different regions of the state), as well as having lived in Kansas and the Kansas City metro area.

1) Indiana is a much more industrial state overall with a much greater overall population compared to Kansas. Indiana is a primarily blue collar state with white collar growth areas (north side of Indy- Hamilton county). Its major growth areas of the 20th century were largely in the northern and central portions of the state with the south generally being quite a bit less populated- Evansville region being an exception. Large-scale agriculture of corn and soybeans is predominant in central and northern Indiana with a mixture of woods and farms in the south.
2) Indiana is a much more moderate state politically even though it often leans decidedly conservative politically. It is a much more "live and let live" state compared to Kansas, and has less bizarre fringe elements that come into play overall. The way state government functions and the tax structure is setup is much more progressive compared to Kansas which loves to tag regressive taxes on middle class people like excessive sales taxes on grocery food items, absurd vehicle registration fees, and other related items.
3) In terms of people, Hoosiers are more reserved overall, very much typical of the Midwest, but not as reserved and stoic as the upper Midwest. Kansans tend to be more like southerners overall, more extroverted, not as reserved.
4) Infrastructure- Indiana has been playing catch-up for years, after tax base losses (Rust Belt) effect left many of the roads and cities in a barely functioning mess. What was fixed or taken care of decades ago in other regions of the US is still trying to be improved upon today. Kansas had better infrastructure prior to the governorship of Brownback, but it has fallen since then.
5) Cities- Indiana is much more influenced by metro areas compared to anywhere in Kansas because it has more metro areas or is closer to them. From NWI (Chicagoland), Indy, Cincinnati, Louisville, Fort Wayne, Evansville, South Bend, Lafayette, Bloomington, etc. there are far fewer "very rural areas" compared to Kansas- a state that contains many "frontier" counties, those with seven or fewer people per square mile. Indiana has a better overall geographical location if you want to be centrally located near many metro areas in the eastern US. Kansas and Kansas City metro are really not close to other metro areas at all with distances much further apart.
6) Job Growth, both generally lag the national average, Indiana has a lower overall cost of living with higher wage jobs more abundant due to more choices in metro areas again. Demographically, Indiana comes closer to the national average in terms of population age structure demographics, while both states are less diverse than the national average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 07:11 PM

93 posts, read 126,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodeca View Post
I'd say a few similarities, and a few differences.

Indiana and Kansas are often thought of (or think of themselves as) Middle America, Heartland, a little rural/traditional in a modern urban world.

Basketball is, or was when I was younger, the most popular sport in both states. Indiana and Kansas teams were both very strong in basketball, with pretty clean cut traditional play.

Kansas' large state universities are both in smaller cities, like Indiana: Lawrence = Bloomington; Manhattan = West Lafayette (?)

Both border metropolitan areas that are larger than anything in their state (Chicago, Kansas City)

There is single, but blurred geographic divided in the state: IN is north/south, KS is east/west

Both states have strong early influence from the South, but over time greater population growth occurred in urban areas and reduced that influence statewide

Strong history of Republican politics, going back to the Civil War; large external corporations (Chicago, Kansas City, etc), dominated the local economy except for a few primary industries.

No large, global metropolitan area with substantial international flights.

Topography is often tagged as "boring" "flat", but I think both have a reputation for being "green" - meaning lush and verdant.
You make a very good point about the basketball thingy. KU has been a big deal for a long time. That alone is maybe the single most important fact when considering which way the eyes of Kansas are pointing. It really does tie Kansas to the Midwest.
On a side note, I've never really got the feeling that Kansas has much in common with its neighbors in Denver, CO and points West.
Also, off topic, from an outsider's point of view, I'm thinking big picture, that the Nebraska Cornhuskers have a more natural rivalry with the Iowa Hawkeyes, Minnesota Golden Gophers and the Big 10, than with Oklahoma, all things Texas, and the Big 12 - and like a lot of people, I grew up watching the Oklahoma - Nebraska Game on the Friday after Thanksgiving. I still miss that game... Billy Sims, Johnny Rodgers, etc, anybody...? Still, the Nebraska-Iowa Game looks like a natural...

Last edited by SunnyJoe; 12-02-2017 at 07:20 PM..

Old 12-04-2017, 06:31 PM

54 posts, read 119,599 times
Very interesting. What got me wondering was seeing the show “The Middle”. Thanks for the responses.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:49 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
There are different areas of Indiana. Indianapolis is pretty different from the more rural areas.
I think that due to the internet and social media, this has changed in some factors. Today I travel to small towns and cities all over central Indiana. I see a variety of people, variety of styles, etc., just like I would in downtown Indy. The internet and social media has pretty much shown people how everyone else is living. People do base their choices on that of what they see, in addition to what they feel. Basically, every trend, lifestyle, etc. is available to almost everyone. People in rural areas might have to drive further to hangout with those of similar taste, background, but overall every sort of category of people/lifestyle is out there now, all over. The difference between city and rural is just the numbers and density.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:03 PM

148 posts, read 459,196 times
Here's another interesting similarity: the map from AMC shows that the most popular (by internet search) Christmas movie in Indiana, Kansas; Arkansas and New York (where it was set) is "It's a Wonderful Life".

keywords: small town, redemption, rural values, hardship.

'A Christmas Story' is not the No. 1 holiday movie in Ohio - Cleveland 19 News Cleveland, OH

Old 12-10-2017, 08:26 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
I think that due to the internet and social media, this has changed in some factors. Today I travel to small towns and cities all over central Indiana. I see a variety of people, variety of styles, etc., just like I would in downtown Indy. The internet and social media has pretty much shown people how everyone else is living. People do base their choices on that of what they see, in addition to what they feel. Basically, every trend, lifestyle, etc. is available to almost everyone. People in rural areas might have to drive further to hangout with those of similar taste, background, but overall every sort of category of people/lifestyle is out there now, all over. The difference between city and rural is just the numbers and density.

I recently visited some extended family in rural southern Indiana. They spent an hour discussing guns and ammo drinking Bud Light at a small tavern where most people were wearing camo jackets. They are regulars to this tavern. I am curious to know which downtown Indianapolis bar you've seen this same scene play out regularly.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:17 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I recently visited some extended family in rural southern Indiana. They spent an hour discussing guns and ammo drinking Bud Light at a small tavern where most people were wearing camo jackets. They are regulars to this tavern. I am curious to know which downtown Indianapolis bar you've seen this same scene play out regularly.
Bars and clubs have always been different and always catered to a certain crowd. It is like saying that since there are no bars or clubs that cater to the black population in Carmel, everyone in Carmel must be a hardcore racist. Like I said, "some" factors have changed, not all. Downtown urban cores are for "young professionals" from everything I hear. I never get the picture that "young professionals" are those wearing camo jackets. That being said, there is plenty of camo jacket wearing types that do attend IUPUI, doesn't mean they will trash talk anyone different than them.

I'm talking about having young to middle aged people waiting on my in small to medium sized food places with nose rings, multiple piercings in their ear, all sorts of dyed hair, tattoos in various size and location, etc.. Too many people seem to think that once one leaves Marion County, people all dress as modestly as possible, only ear lob piercings, no tattoos, and carrying around their bible. What I've seen is nothing like that, so I stand by my comment that in the vast majority of places, the majority of people in those places aren't going to be freaked out by tats, piercings, dyed hair, etc.. The older generations are the only ones who might comment, and 99% of them are going to comment out of ear shot and it is mostly because they grew up in a culture that was a complete 180 from today.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:39 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
For what it's worth, I know people who live as far away as Cambridge City and Brazil who work in Indy, but live in their small town. You could have people with similar interests who lived that far apart that regularly meet in Indy. That really expands what you can do there beyond what is available in your immediate local area.

Someone in say, Richmond, is closer to Indy, Columbus, and Cincinnati than someone in Kansas could be to any major metro. Cities are closer together and people have more options.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:52 AM

308 posts, read 1,041,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cblueberry1 View Post
Hi
I just moved to Kansas and have been wondering how the people here might be alike or different from people in Indiana. We drove through southern Indiana on our way to Kansas, which was pretty rural, so we didn’t see much of Indiana. Indiana has been an intriguing state and one that I considered moving to. I am wondering if I got some of the qualities of Indiana by moving to Kansas, i.e friendly people. I realize the two states are not geographically close but they are both in the Midwest. I have wondered what Indiana is like compared to Kansas. Thanks much.

Well, I can't compare Indiana to Kansas, but I can tell you Indiana cities are completely different from each other. Even the 'accents' Southern Indiana borders Kentucky with southern accents, and Northern Indiana borders Michigan and Chicago, Il with the Northern accents!
I've lived in 3 Indiana towns (Terre Haute, Indianapolis, Carmel) - - The overall poise/education/friendliness of the people is extremely different, as are the options for entertainment and availability of good medical care! Without bashing a particular city, I'll say some will drive a couple hours for decent activities, shopping, and medical treatment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana