Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2018, 10:50 AM

6 posts, read 4,219 times

Advertisements

Hello,
The usual questions...Husband is facing a possible relocation to South Bend, office would be near ND. I am looking at housing in the Granger Area due to the fact that everything I've read suggests that Penn-Harris-Madison is the "best"( certainly not saying that is indeed the case)high school in the area. My daughter would be an incoming freshman this fall and is a very good student but is very quiet and not very outgoing, the enrollment size is listed at 3500 students and I'm so concerned that she would be overwhelmed.Can anyone offer any personal experiences with class sizes,etc. Also any nearby areas that would be 30 minutes or less commute that I should look into, we will probably rent for a year and then plan on buying. Thanks for any insight,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 10:42 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,994 times
You could go the private school route and go to Mishawaka Marian or South Bend St. Joseph, both catholic schools. You could go relocate to Elkhart County. Northridge High School is a great school in Middlebury in nearby Elkhart County. NorthWood high school is a great high school in Nappanee/Wakarusa in nearby Elkhart County. Stay away from Michigan schools.

You could look south of South Bend in the Bremen area. Smaller school district though. Also, LaVille, John Glenn, and New Prairie are all within 30 minutes of a commute to South Bend. Just more rural districts.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:35 AM

Thank you for taking time to answer,will definitely look into those options!

Old 03-24-2018, 02:14 PM

382 posts, read 513,444 times
I can't speak to the schools, but Granger is a very nice area. You could do far worse in the region for sure.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:40 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Adams High School in South Bend received an A from the state for the 2016-2017 school year and has a 93% high school completion rate, Riley on the city's south side received a B with an 88% graduation rate. All of the South Bend high schools have between 1,200 and 1,500 students, so less than half the size of Penn.

On the high school level South Bend schools are not as bad as many would lead you to believe, I'm a product of South Bend schools myself, graduate from Riley High School in 2007. The diversity in race and socioeconomic background that you can only get in South Bend was a great teacher and eye opener for me, and the teachers at South Bend's schools are just as good as any school. The primary reason that many of their schools have lower performance is the same for any inner city schools, children from poor and broken homes perform at lower levels in most cases.

Otherwise, if you're in the Granger area then Penn is your only real option. Edwardsburg Michigan is about 5-10 miles north of Granger and has decent schools and is known as a nice community.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:02 PM

Thank you, I appreciate the response!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana