Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 09:52 AM

25 posts, read 54,200 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the Southwest Suburbs of Chicago my whole life and it's time to get out. I've been looking at different states...mostly Southern Missouri, Eastern Tennessee, and NW Arkansas. I travel a lot so it's not like I'm only familiar with Illinois. The more I dig into the states I mentioned above the less I feel they may be the right place for me. Initially, Indiana was the obvious choice. Isn't that where most Illinoisans go to escape the insane taxes and corruption? So, I'm checking out Indiana again. I was looking at the West Lafayette/Lafayette area and also Evansville and Fort Wayne. I crossed Evansville off due to the pollen. Lafayette looks pretty cool. I'm a single, 40 year old woman. I like restaurants, nature, cute shops to wander through. I like being within an hour or so of a beach. I love a little historic downtown area. I like festivals, movies, art, live music, plays, and museums. I really want to find a friendly community. I work from home so I need a place with reliable internet. I will probably rent for the first year depending on how far I go. I would say under $800 a month for rent or under $130,000 if I purchase a home and reasonable taxes. I'm paying $3,600 in taxes for an 1,100 sq foot condo in a small suburb and I live off a very loud, busy street. I want to live in a safe and preferably quiet area. I don't mind living in a smaller town and driving a little bit to a larger area for entertainment but I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere. Currently, I find things to do all over the place. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 11:20 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,127,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureAwaits23 View Post
I've lived in the Southwest Suburbs of Chicago my whole life and it's time to get out. I've been looking at different states...mostly Southern Missouri, Eastern Tennessee, and NW Arkansas. I travel a lot so it's not like I'm only familiar with Illinois. The more I dig into the states I mentioned above the less I feel they may be the right place for me. Initially, Indiana was the obvious choice. Isn't that where most Illinoisans go to escape the insane taxes and corruption? So, I'm checking out Indiana again. I was looking at the West Lafayette/Lafayette area and also Evansville and Fort Wayne. I crossed Evansville off due to the pollen. Lafayette looks pretty cool. I'm a single, 40 year old woman. I like restaurants, nature, cute shops to wander through. I like being within an hour or so of a beach. I love a little historic downtown area. I like festivals, movies, art, live music, plays, and museums. I really want to find a friendly community. I work from home so I need a place with reliable internet. I will probably rent for the first year depending on how far I go. I would say under $800 a month for rent or under $130,000 if I purchase a home and reasonable taxes. I'm paying $3,600 in taxes for an 1,100 sq foot condo in a small suburb and I live off a very loud, busy street. I want to live in a safe and preferably quiet area. I don't mind living in a smaller town and driving a little bit to a larger area for entertainment but I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere. Currently, I find things to do all over the place. Any suggestions?
I grew up in Lafayette. After I graduated from Purdue, I moved to south Florida for my career in a botanic garden. Forty three years later, I've returned to Lafayette. Lafayette has a wonderful downtown with many beautifully restored old buildings. There are many festivals, art galleries, all sorts of cultural events at Purdue. People are very friendly here. We have reliable internet. There are nature trails (Clegg Memorial Garden, Prophetstown State Park, etc.) Google Lafayette for more sources of information. If you have any questions, I may be able to help you.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:06 PM

I did Google it and that's why I thought it might be a good fit. I believe there's a fest on Saturday in West Lafayette so I think I'll check it out. I went to Triple XXX last year on my home from Louisville but that is the only time I've spent in that particular area. Does it get congested when there is a game at Purdue? How is it with all the students living in the area? By the way, thank you so much for responding!!

Old 12-04-2018, 12:37 PM

West Lafayette gets congested before and after football games at Purdue. Most of the students live in West Lafayette which is located on the west side of the Wabash River. Lafayette, on the east side of the river, isn't as populated with students, but is larger than the westside. Having a major university, Purdue, is a wonderful reason for the vibrancy of the area. We are more diverse, wonderful cultural activities, a marvelous venue, Elliott Hall of Music (seats 6,000+ with wonderful acoustics), and the many staff and faculty of Purdue. Lafayette has lots of industry (Cargill, Caterpillar, Arconic, Wabash National, Subaru (the only Subaru manufacturing plant outside of Japan), lots of agriculture). The area has always had a strong middle class. Lots of diners, taverns, breweries, fast food joints..... . People work hard here and seem to be happy. My favorite festival is the Feast of the Hunter's Moon. It is held in the fall. It was the first 18th Century re-enactment festival and is the biggest. Last year was the 50th annual Feast. There are some neat videos online. Most of the festivals take place in the spring, summer and fall. Arni's is a great place for pizza. It is located in Market Square shopping area. Speaking of markets, the farmers market, has been around since 1835! Downtown Lafayette is filled with old buildings, many built in the mid to late 1800's. We have a gorgeous, old courthouse!

Old 12-04-2018, 01:06 PM

Sounds great! I'm definitely looking for diversity and vibrancy. Thank you again ��

Old 12-04-2018, 01:39 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
"Indiana was the obvious choice. Isn't that where most Illinoisans go to escape the insane taxes and corruption?"....no.
There is a large, former Chicago resident population in Mountain Home/Bull Shoals, AR Granted a lot of them may be retired, but you couldn't find a better work from home location if you like the outdoors. Only 10" of snow annual average. For arts and entertainment, St Louis is driving distance...250 miles, Memphis, 200 miles. As a former Indiana resident, you might as well stay in Chicago as to move to Northern Indiana.....you might look at Southern Indiana....the Louisville metro area.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-04-2018, 02:36 PM

Thank you for the input! I was looking at the Fayetteville area in Arkansas. I read that renters don't have any rights in that state. I think it's the only state that landlords aren't required to maintain their properties. I wasn't thrilled with that.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:39 PM

I'm also hesitant about moving to the South since my beliefs are a little more on the metaphysical side and I would like to be in a diverse, open minded community. I don't think a lot of Chicagoans move to Lafayette so it would be a change from where I live now.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:45 PM

There are some apartments in the old buildings in downtown Lafayette. When I go to the Farmers Market, I often see young people who live downtown.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:55 PM

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana