Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 06:40 AM

427 posts, read 431,957 times

Advertisements

Why does Indianapolis look like a 'ghost town? Im comparing to Atlanta. Might be a unfair comparison, but I didn't see any traffic jams driving I-465, I-69, I-65, Keystone. It seems like COVID-19 really did a number on vibrancy of Indy. Is everything OK? The economy ok? I am in the middle of thinking about moving back to the 'Crossroads of America'.

Atlanta traffic has returned, things feel more vibrant. What's going on an Indy so I can make a good decision.

Last edited by RJ8089; 09-16-2020 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 12:27 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,275,625 times
Indy doesn't really have too many traffic jams unless there's an accident or major constructions. About the only place that consistently jams up is I-465 east on the northside between Keystone and I-69. That jam has returned since the shutdown. Other than that, I'm sure there are still several people working from home at least part time. And still a lot of people aren't going out to restaurants as often as they did prior to the shutdowns.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:51 PM

3,071 posts, read 2,410,711 times
You must not have been on 465 Friday. It took me 90 minutes to get home after someone wrecked their car at I-69.

Restaurants are open at only 50% capacity.

I read that rent prices are up, and the St. Louis Fed shows unemployment here dropping rapidly.

In any case, I wouldn't assess the economy based on whether you were in a traffic jam during a visit.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:09 PM

174 posts, read 245,427 times
Traffic Jams typically are only going to happen during rush hour and again it depends on the area. As RJ8089 mentioned I-465 by I-69 on the northside is typically the worst. 465 from 65 South back to Kentucky Ave can get bad on the southside too. Otherwise unless there's an accident it's not bad.

Many schools are on hybrid models, but also so many businesses are remaining at home for work through at least the end of the year. I have a friend at Rolls Royce and they are starting to sell their other physical locations and only keeping their downtown headquarters open. Those at the other locations will work from home. If they need to work at RR they will come to the headquarters. My other 2 friends at Eli Lilly are dealing with a similar situation where they have to Zoom any day they have meetings, otherwise they work from home.

Finally we are still at stage 4.5 since July so as sheerbliss mentioned most restaurants, unless they have outdoor seating are really taking a hit, and will seem "empty." I think bars and clubs just opened up, but no dancing. So between that limitation and the fact that many people are just trying to be cautious it will definitely feel more dead. Finally, while sports and therefore attendance at bars is finally back, the B1G just decided on football in Oct. That impacts Indy area for all the fans that typically would be out watching on a Saturday evening but can't right now.

If you are comparing traffic now, you should have come to Indy in March. There was much less traffic compared to now back then when everyone had to shelter in place. Again just judging it based on traffic wouldn't be accurate, but ATL is also no notorious for it's traffic that Indy will never compare no matter Covid or not.

Old 09-16-2020, 03:29 PM

8,985 posts, read 17,313,313 times
Are you calling Indy a ghost town because our traffic isn't the disaster Atlanta's is?

Old 09-16-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Are you calling Indy a ghost town because our traffic isn't the disaster Atlanta's is?
I'm calling Indy a ghost town because even in Carmel, it seemed dead. Maybe I've been in Atlanta too long. I remember Indy being more vibrant.

Old 09-16-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
You must not have been on 465 Friday. It took me 90 minutes to get home after someone wrecked their car at I-69.

Restaurants are open at only 50% capacity.

I read that rent prices are up, and the St. Louis Fed shows unemployment here dropping rapidly.

In any case, I wouldn't assess the economy based on whether you were in a traffic jam during a visit.
I'm looking at what I saw. Hamilton Town Center wasn't vibrant except for that Ford restaurant, among other things. Even downtown. It just might be because I'm use to busier and vibrant Atlanta.

Old 09-16-2020, 05:06 PM

Maybe a lot of people were on vacation and decided to get out of town, just as you did.

Record real estate sales, falling unemployment, and a AAA credit rating suggest the economy is doing OK.

https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-ne...tting-records/

https://www.localnewsdigital.com/202...o-7-8-in-july/

https://www.fitchratings.com/entity/...rating-actions

Old 09-16-2020, 05:47 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,367,100 times
As people have already said, Indianapolis and the rest of the state is not fully open yet. Not sure where Marion County is right now in the planned opening, but even Carmel is not fully open yet. Many people are still exercising caution about going to restaurants, shopping for entertainment, etc.

Old 09-16-2020, 06:27 PM

Here's the public health order for Marion County (Indianapolis) that went into effect September 8:

Public Health Order
• Takes effect Tuesday, September 8th, 2020
• Bars can reopen with 25% indoor capacity and 50% outdoor seating
• Table service and seating only
• Must close at 12am
• 3 violations leads to closure for minimum of 30 days
• Restaurants open 75% outdoor dining with social distancing, table service allowed in bar area
• Nightclubs can operate like a bar but at 25% capacity, no dancing and live entertainment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana