Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 01:24 PM

66 posts, read 121,760 times

Advertisements

If you have ever made the trip from B-town to Louisville or vice versa which way do you take?

I will be traveling from B-town to KY tmrw early morning(4am).

Do you go over 46 to Columbus so you get more interstate or down 37 to Paoli then across?

I'm actually going to Lexington so whichever way will get me through L-ville quickest too even though I doubt traffic will be much at 6am.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 05:31 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times
I'd take I-65 up to Columbus, IN, and then take IN-46 over to Bloomington.

It's the shortest, and it's a beautiful drive. Take in some nice architecture in Columbus, the scenic hills of Brown County, and then BOOM!, you are in Bloomington, arguably the greatest college town in the USA.

Good Luck!

Old 07-07-2013, 05:36 PM

66 posts, read 121,760 times
Well I would be going from Bloomington to Louisville and the sights won't be pretty at 4am lol. I've already been over to Columbus from B-town on 46, it's just been awhile. I agree the drive is pretty and Bloomington is an awesome town.

Hopefully no traffic at 4am and no wild animals so I can make it across in under 45 min.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:56 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
I've made the trip several times from B-ton to Louisville. I've also received the advice of a friend that frequently went down to Louisville for family related reasons.

I've taken the route that includes going over to Columbus and down 65. I've also taken the 37 down to Paoli route and a few other routes that involve going down 37 and cutting across through Salem or other ways.

If you live in town I would take the Columbus route. I have driven that way at 5:00 am. You do need to watch for deer especially.

I live pretty far south in the county (about 25 minutes from the mall) and much closer to 37 so it's faster for me to take 37 south and cut across at Paoli or through Salem. The Columbus route is about 20 minutes or so longer for me.

I've never taken 37 down to 64 and then east. My friend adviced against it.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:37 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I've made the trip several times from B-ton to Louisville. I've also received the advice of a friend that frequently went down to Louisville for family related reasons.

I've taken the route that includes going over to Columbus and down 65. I've also taken the 37 down to Paoli route and a few other routes that involve going down 37 and cutting across through Salem or other ways.

If you live in town I would take the Columbus route. I have driven that way at 5:00 am. You do need to watch for deer especially.

I live pretty far south in the county (about 25 minutes from the mall) and much closer to 37 so it's faster for me to take 37 south and cut across at Paoli or through Salem. The Columbus route is about 20 minutes or so longer for me.

I've never taken 37 down to 64 and then east. My friend adviced against it.
Ive gone from 64 to 37 once coming from holiday world at night no less. Would not recommend it especially if you do not know the area down there. Thought it was going to be a straight shot, it isn't. There's a fork that wasn't real descriptive and i just lucked up and chose the correct one.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:39 AM

797 posts, read 2,338,424 times
It's too late for the OP, I know, but for any others looking to make the same trip it's a little shorter mileage wise to go through Paoli. That said I would go across 46 and down I-65. Hwy 37 from Mitchell to Paoli is under construction and they've set the speed limit to only 35 mph and are really making it into a giant speed trap. There are also often a LOT of people driving unnecessarily slow on 150 from Paoli to Louisville, especially on the curvy sections from Paoli to Hardinsburg. I'm talking 10-15 mph under the speed limit slow even on straight sections. There are also a lot of Amish buggy's on those curvy sections from Paoli to Hardinsburg which can be very dangerous so watch out!

Honestly, I think the best option is to take 37 down to Mitchell then make a left at the stop light by the McDonalds on Hwy 60 and take it to Salem. Then I would take 135 out of Salem south to Palmyra and then 150 down to I-64. I've driven this route as well as the others several times and it's the best. You can also take 60 east out of Salem and down to I-65, but I hate crossing the Kennedy bridge into Louisville. It's backed up far more often than the 64 bridge and that's only going to get worse now that they're closing a lane of 65 south in the hospital curve and working on that stupid new bridge (They're closing one exit ramp for 3 full years. Don't even get me started).

Anyway, either of these routes eliminates having to drive the curvy/dangerous options of having to go across 46 or the worst parts of 150. Good luck for future travels. Maybe the OP can take an alternate route on the way home.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:42 AM

797 posts, read 2,338,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Ive gone from 64 to 37 once coming from holiday world at night no less. Would not recommend it especially if you do not know the area down there. Thought it was going to be a straight shot, it isn't. There's a fork that wasn't real descriptive and i just lucked up and chose the correct one.
No, if you guys are talking about taking 37 south of Paoli to I-64 it's WAY out of the way and the most indirect route to Louisville being discussed. Scenic though.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:38 AM

196 posts, read 696,958 times
Here's another way - starting point Bloomington.

3rd street east to Ind 446, 446 S to US 50, 50 E to Ind 39, Ind 39 S to Ind 250, 250 E to I-65.

Lots of different choices, most days it just depends on traffic, slow drivers, and construction. Just like choosing a best route between Bloomington and Nashville, TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana