Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 06:31 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,396,401 times

Advertisements

Why not have a change of heart and mention the good things?

And none of this sarcastic stuff. Such as, I like the fact that it's completely flat and it's a blah blah blah, I'll be asking that our wonderful mod delete the posts, because if you can't be genuinely happy about some things, don't post in here. There are plenty of depressing threads to be depressed in, feel free to use them.

I'll start here in a little bit!

Last edited by Ronzou; 01-19-2008 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: My own gripes with my spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 06:45 PM

I like:

DeBrands
South Bend Chocolate Company
FWA
The country
The many trails that Fort Wayne has
The Fort Wayne Zoo
The Komets
The Fort Wayne Sports Vacation and Boat Show!

If I keep going I'll just keep listing more things from Fort Wayne!

Old 01-19-2008, 06:57 PM

Post Some links for everyone

Fort Wayne Children's Zoo
Gourmet Chocolates | Chocolate Gift Baskets | Chocolate Truffles | Valentine Chocolates
Glenbrook Square (http://www.glenbrooksquare.com/html/index20.asp - broken link)
Welcome to Jefferson Pointe Home
http://www.sbchocolate.com/
The Downtown Improvement District
Official Site of the Fort Wayne Komet Hockey Club
Indiana Beach Amusement Resort (Amusement Park, Hotel, Campground and Water Park)
Welcome to Holiday World & Splashin' Safari in Santa Claus, Indiana!
Brown County Indiana CVB

(Anyone can jump in, even if you just visited and there was something here you liked! The Indiana forums need a bit of livening up)

YOUR TURN!

Old 01-19-2008, 09:10 PM

21 posts, read 89,320 times
I like that you can find a home on 4+ acres of property, with a separate structure/barn on the property for less than 180K

I like that my dogs can have vast amounts of room to run.

I like that you can get to South Bend to see a Fighting Irish football or hockey game in less than 2 hours.

I like the proximity to Cleveland, Chicagoland, Michigan City and Indianapolis.

I like that you can enjoy all the comforts of rural living but not have to sacrifice any of the educational requirements or values that you have for your children.

I like that you can always count on a white Christmas.

I like Sunday Mass at the Basilica.

I like that you can vacation on the Great Lakes and experience the beach without having to pay the expensive cost of living that you would be subjected to in one of the coastal states.

I like that the people are blue collar but still have an appreciation for conservative values.

I like that you can have enough property that you don't have to see your neighbor for a solid week if you don't want to.

I like that it is peaceful but you can still get to a shopping mall, restaurant or movie theater in less than an hour.

Last but not least, I like that it is not the south.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:51 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,393,092 times
I like the plainness of Indiana. No, seriously! Nothing is hyped up! Mostly genuine people.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 11,669 times
While I can't say Indiana is the most exciting place to live, there are so wonderful things about this state.

Indianapolis is a great city, it has much to offer.

The weather here is nice, no season is too extreme, you get the best of it all.

Property here is the cheapest in the nation. For $120,000 I got a beautiful house with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms + a bonus room, and a nice size yard.

Groceries are reasonable compared to other parts of the country.

People here are nice, in the small towns everyone waves to you weather they know you or not.

If you have family around here it makes it nicer, however if you are moving here for the excitement, you might want to reconsider. There's not much scenery around here, which is why I plan on moving out of state eventually. There are much prettier states out there, although Indiana does have its own charm I suppose. It's a matter of taste. Those of us who have always lived here have gotten tired of the miles and miles of corn and soybean fields.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betzy111 View Post
There's not much scenery around here, which is why I plan on moving out of state eventually. There are much prettier states out there, although Indiana does have its own charm I suppose. It's a matter of taste. Those of us who have always lived here have gotten tired of the miles and miles of corn and soybean fields.
There is more than you think. Just have to do a little research. There are some waterfalls in Indiana and some caves too.

State Parks & Reservoirs
Indiana Caves

If you search, answers will follow. :]

Old 01-22-2008, 12:54 PM

21 posts, read 89,320 times
Outstanding! Thanks for those links Ronzou!

Old 01-22-2008, 01:31 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,986,646 times
I like a lot about Fort Wayne Indiana... and the bulk of my Indiana experience is focused upon it. In addition to several things mentioned already I like:

1 - the Fort Wayne Airport - simple and easy to get in and out of because of its small size. Yet there are direct flights to a ton of destinations, and the prices aren't bad at all. Recently added destinations include: Las Vegas, Tampa/St. Petersburg, Orlando, and Fort Lauderdale Florida. You can also fly direct to Dallas/Fort Worth, Cincinatti, Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, and several other destinations as well.

2 - Rush hour in Fort Wayne is a joke compared to what you experience in other mid-sized to large cities. Having lived in some major US cities and having significant work commutes I was pleasantly surprised by the change when I came to Fort Wayne

3 - The weather in NE Indiana is moderate. Much less snow and ice than Chicago, Buffalo, and anywhere in New England. There are 4 seasons and plenty of time to enjoy the outdoors each year.

4 - Taxes are reasonable in Indiana in general. I've lived in Massachusetts and NY and paid more than my fair share of taxes. Coming to Indiana I was pleasantly surprised by lower sales, property, and income taxes. Indiana doesn't have the lowest taxes in the US, but they are affordable.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:41 PM

10 posts, read 46,714 times
Hello everyone, Ronzou hi. thank you so much for the links. My husband and I are transferring to Valparaiso,Indiana for work but are looking at the apts. in South Bend, In
thanks again for the lovely links,, I cant wait to move this March..God bless you for helping others..and everyone else too you make the places sound great..I grew up in Ontario canada with trees and parks ..now I am in Dallas texas area and moving north again..woohoo ) now to find a shaul. anyone know of a synagogue near South Bend, IN? Thanks all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana