Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 05:44 AM

2 posts, read 3,666 times

Advertisements

my uncle is in bad health and wants me and my mother to move up to indy and live in his house after he passes.

we have been there maybe 6 times, so we are not too familiar with the area.

i dont want to give his address out on the net, but its between north emerson ave and arlington on 40th street(ave?).

we usually dont leave the house much, and i dont fill up until i hit the pilot about 30 miles outside of town, so my knowledge on indy is not good.

how safe of an area is that? any areas near by to avoid?

and one last question, is the devington shopping plaza off of 46th and arlington as unsafe during the day as it is at night? we went there to pick up some emergency first aid supplies and were shocked to see security guards in every isle at kroger.

so far i love indy, i just want to know what im in for in his neighborhood.

Last edited by funwithguns; 03-15-2011 at 06:10 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 06:12 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
I do know a couple of people in that area, they have never themselves had any problems with crime. That's not to say they don't take precautions, they do, but they've not yet been mugged, had their houses broken into, cars broken into, etc.

The shopping center at 46th and Arlington, I went there once with a friend to that Kroger. You might be better served driving up to the Kroger at 71st and Binford; or down to the Kroger on 10th and Shadeland.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 03-15-2011 at 06:23 AM..

Old 03-15-2011, 08:54 PM

797 posts, read 2,337,593 times
This is one of the rougher parts of town. I'm sure there are people that haven't had any issues, but in general the east 38th St. corridor is a problem area. Below is a link with footage to one of the more recent violent crimes in the area. Not all crime in the area is this violent, but there are more issues than I would want to deal with. I agree with Toxic about the Kroger up at 71st and Binford. It's in a much better area and is fairly new/nice.

Violent robberies were caught on tape - 13 WTHR

Old 03-16-2011, 03:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,666 times
im not too worried about something like that, in fact if i were in that situation there would probably been two dead robbers.

the main thing im worried about are home invasion/theft and vehicle theft.

im going to be a wv transplant, and i go everywhere armed here, no reason not to there.

i live in probably the worst area in my current city, but i know this little hick town is nothing compared to places like columbus,dayton, cleveland,cincy,indy or chicago.

one more thing, where are all the walmarts at lol, i never seen on in indy, but every little town here in wv has atleast one or two.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:28 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwithguns View Post
the main thing im worried about are home invasion/theft and vehicle theft.
Vehicle theft depends on if you leave your keys in the car. It used to be easy to hot wire a car and take it. With advancements in technology, it is much harder to steal a car without the key. This winter, the spike in vehicle thefts was solely due to people leaving their cars run in their driveways while they were back inside. The police were asking people to not do this. In fact, one municipality was thinking about passing an ordinance outlawing this practice. So, don't leave your car out running unattended and you won't have the vehicle stolen.

Burglaries happen all over the metro area, even in the "nice" areas of town. The best thing you can do is get an alarm sticker and two yard signs (one for the main front entry, one for the back entry. Alarm stickers on every window. I highly suggest security doors, not cheap flimsy "screen doors." Get some good, strong dead bolted metal/wrought iron security doors. Right now, Fishers seems to be having a huge spike in residential burglaries and most folks call that area "low crime."

With home invasion robberies, the vast majority fall into two categories:
#1: The target is known to have something of value--large sums of cash, drugs, guns, etc.. There is almost always some connection between victim(s) and robber(s), even if just a loose affiliation.
#2: In the case where there isn't some sort of black market involvement, the victim and robber usually don't know each other. In these cases, it seems the victim(s) are almost always elderly.

The best way to prevent becoming a home invasion robbery victim is to keep a low profile. Don't let the neighborhood see you taking three or four flat screen TVs into the home. Don't plaster your truck/car with gun stickers. The list goes on and on.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:03 PM

797 posts, read 2,337,593 times
There are several Walmarts around town. The one on 75th and Keystone is pretty decent as Walmarts go. There are also a couple near the Pendleton Pike corridor just outside of I-465. Just google Walmart and Indianapolis and it should pop up with a map of where they are.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:34 AM

423 posts, read 1,248,169 times
The Devington area has definitely declined, but I'd say that south of 38th Street is much worse than north. Toxic Toast portrayed the area pretty accurately. The neighborhood has some good mid-century modern homes that yuppies are starting to discover, so it's possible that the neighborhood could gentrify in coming years. It never has sunk so far to be a ghetto, but it's probably not a great area to be walking around at night. Daytime should be fine.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:22 AM

355 posts, read 911,452 times
I agree with the above, while that specific area has never devolved into a full blown ghetto, there are numerous areas close or around that are full blown ghettos no matter how you shake it. Although there are some nice houses in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis