Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 09:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,783 times

Advertisements

Hello all! We relocated to the Indianapolis area about 5 years ago and since then we have been trying to find a place to "fit in" and call home. We've lived in Fishers, Westfield and Carmel, each worse than the last (for us). All are great cities with great schools, but the general attitude here isn't what we are looking for.

We are looking for a place that's more down-to-Earth, but still nice. Somewhere people are more social and willing to take in newcomers. A place my kids can make friends instead of being bullied because they don't constantly dress in the latest fashions. Schools are important, but with that being said, the schools we've attended are some of the top in the state and they have fallen short of my expectations as far as their Special Needs departments go.

My husband works in Indy, so we are pretty flexible on location as long as it's outside of the city. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

**Also please don't think that I'm saying anything against the areas we've lived, they are great areas, just not great for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 09:52 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,515,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mksense View Post
Hello all! We relocated to the Indianapolis area about 5 years ago and since then we have been trying to find a place to "fit in" and call home. We've lived in Fishers, Westfield and Carmel, each worse than the last (for us). All are great cities with great schools, but the general attitude here isn't what we are looking for.

We are looking for a place that's more down-to-Earth, but still nice. Somewhere people are more social and willing to take in newcomers. A place my kids can make friends instead of being bullied because they don't constantly dress in the latest fashions. Schools are important, but with that being said, the schools we've attended are some of the top in the state and they have fallen short of my expectations as far as their Special Needs departments go.

My husband works in Indy, so we are pretty flexible on location as long as it's outside of the city. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

**Also please don't think that I'm saying anything against the areas we've lived, they are great areas, just not great for us.
I would look at a lower end area in the Indy area. I don't mean poor areas but i don't mean something like Mansons i would look around Downtown and Fountain Square where you have more of middle class people which tend to not be snoody and high expectation and more down to earth.

Edit: Also Downtown always has something going on for the kids too.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:57 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
If you are looking to stay out of Marion County, I think you'll be happy anywhere outside of HamCo.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
I would look at a lower end area in the Indy area. I don't mean poor areas but i don't mean something like Mansons i would look around Downtown and Fountain Square where you have more of middle class people which tend to not be snoody and high expectation and more down to earth.

Thanks for the advice but anything in city is definitely out. We are pretty much using 465 as the boundary line, although I confess I don't know much outside of Hamilton County. And, while I know you didn't say it, I want to clarify, it's not a money issue, it's a general personality thing. We just aren't very materialistic.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:01 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post

Umm...she clearly said "as long as it's outside of the city." In other words, no IPS.

I would look at the south side. Don't consider just WRT/Center Grove, though. Maybe the Perry Township area. The Avon area on the west side might also be a good fit.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:09 AM

423 posts, read 1,248,859 times
...except that Perry Township is inside the city but isn't IPS. Did the OP mean "no IPS" or "no Indianapolis city limits"?

Regardless, I would recommend Perry Township as well, or Franklin, or Decatur. The schools aren't as highly rated as the ones in HamCo, but they're not bad, and Perry Twp at least has an excellent special needs program in the form of Rise Special Services. I would imagine Franklin Twp is good too, and has some of the best results of the school districts within Indianapolis. All three townships have huge sections that are outside of I-465.

Center Grove certainly has the best schools on the south side, but you will likely see a little bit of that materialism that bothers you in Hamilton County; it is considered among south-siders to be "the snobby school". Greenwood Public Schools still rate almost as high as Center Grove, but it is less likely to be materialistic. I imagine the western suburbs (Plainfield, Avon, Danville, Brownsburg) would be pretty good options as well.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:15 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,151,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
...except that Perry Township is inside the city but isn't IPS. Did the OP mean "no IPS" or "no Indianapolis city limits"?

Regardless, I would recommend Perry Township as well, or Franklin, or Decatur. The schools aren't as highly rated as the ones in HamCo, but they're not bad, and Perry Twp at least has an excellent special needs program in the form of Rise Special Services. I would imagine Franklin Twp is good too, and has some of the best results of the school districts within Indianapolis. All three townships have huge sections that are outside of I-465.

Center Grove certainly has the best schools on the south side, but you will likely see a little bit of that materialism that bothers you in Hamilton County; it is considered among south-siders to be "the snobby school". Greenwood Public Schools still rate almost as high as Center Grove, but it is less likely to be materialistic. I imagine the western suburbs (Plainfield, Avon, Danville, Brownsburg) would be pretty good options as well.
If you are looking at being inclusive, Center Grove is probably not the answer, it is the basically the Carmel of the south burbs and pretty much away from everything accept SR 135 as far as dining, entertainment. Franklin Township is pretty decent but if you are looking for a lot of people, you won't find it there, esp. the further SE you get around Acton and Wanamaker although Wanamaker the people are very friendly and down to earth. FT though has done away with its school bus service and now outsources it meaning the parents now have to pay $450 a year or something like that pretty high. You might look at Lawrence though, which might seem like what you are looking for as far as that mixture.

I will say, if you are trying to get away from "bullies" good luck, that's not going to happen. People act like bullying is something new. It's been around as long as there have been schools with more than one child in a classroom. It's only becoming the new catch phrase now because parents need an excuse as to their kids are flipping out and plotting to take down entire schools instead of just admitting their kids might have a few other issues going on.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:24 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post

I will say, if you are trying to get away from "bullies" good luck, that's not going to happen. People act like bullying is something new. It's been around as long as there have been schools with more than one child in a classroom. It's only becoming the new catch phrase now because parents need an excuse as to their kids are flipping out and plotting to take down entire schools instead of just admitting their kids might have a few other issues going on.
Yes, and no. It is a lot different than it was when we were kids. Where was "cyber bullying" when you were in school? Could your classmates bully you once you went home for the day/night? They can now.

Also, there just seems to be a lot more aggressive behavior in our society in general than there used to be. Adults (who are often also parents) continue to behave like anyone different, is evil. Look at the current state of our political discourse. You have ADULTS screaming at each other and getting into fights at town hall meetings. The message is clear. If you aren't like me, you are my enemy. Kids obviously pick up on this message.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:21 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,974 times
Our son has special needs and we are very happy in carmel. What school are you having issues with? Our son is in middle school and was bullied in elementry school in michigan but not here.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:38 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
You could also look at the greenwood schools ... Or look into Franklin.

I hate to say, but our stint in Fishers made us feel the same way. if your hubby doesn't mind a longer commute, I say come and look at Columbus! it was the best move we made for our family. Our kid's would be heartbroken if we ever moved. when we left Fishers ... Our kid's weren't sad at all. I met more people and was far more welcomed in the first two weeks here in columbus than I was living for 4 years in HamCo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis