Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:05 AM

8,992 posts, read 17,377,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Everyone is blaming Irsay, but don't forget that Peyton wasn't interested in restructuring his contract. And Irsay paid him $26 million last season and he didn't play.
If I was 35 years old, and told that a condition of my employment going forward was to mentor a new hire, split practice time with him, and then possibly lose my job to him within 6 months anyway; I would probably be looking for work elsewhere too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 06:17 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,086,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Everyone is blaming Irsay, but don't forget that Peyton wasn't interested in restructuring his contract. And Irsay paid him $26 million last season and he didn't play.
The statement that "Peyton wasn't interested in restructuring his contract" is not correct. As I understand it, the way his contract is written, they can't restructure it and they can't redo the roster bonus that he's due.

I think Irsay does deserve some of the blame for what MUST happen (releasing Manning before his $28 million roster bonus is due). This is why in my opinion:

Let me start off by saying that releasing him is the right call, no question but it still feels like a kick to the groin for the fans regardless.

With that said, wasn't it Jimmy Irsay that wanted to make Manning "the highest paid QB in the league"? If I recall correctly, it was Irsay who made such a big deal out of Manning's next contract and then did sign him to that huge contract knowing good and well that Manning had neck issues/surgeries and essentially pigeonholed the Colts into this day... If he had been a bit more patient, thorough (and perhaps off of twitter) in negotiating the contract he signed Manning to, maybe Peyton could stay and be on the same roster as the QB from Stanford and not be such a huge hit to the cap.... That is assuming that Manning is healthy to play ofcourse.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, had he not rushed and pushed so hard to make Manning the "highest paid" QB, maybe there wouldn't be this roster bonus deadline that leaves them no choice but to release him. Maybe they would have been able to re-work a more incentive oriented type contract due to his injuries etc... which is probably what he'll get elsewhere but why not here?

Irsay has just come out of this whole ordeal looking like he's back on the pain killers and Jack Daniels diet. The dude just needs to quit talking and stay off of twitter!

This is all just my opinion...

Old 03-07-2012, 11:46 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,577,256 times
Peyton Manning should be wearing Purple and Gold

Old 03-07-2012, 01:08 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,176,403 times
Hate to say this and I do not say it in defense of Irsay. One good hit in the right place and Peyton's playing days will be over.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:42 PM

17,765 posts, read 39,835,138 times
it's not only about him playing, he has children that need him.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:50 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,673,117 times
Thanks for the memories, Peyton!

Old 03-07-2012, 02:59 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,176,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
it's not only about him playing, he has children that need him.

Spot on Domergurl. What does it gain a man to play NFL football only to possibly end up not being able to play with his children? Peyton is already a Hall of Famer and does not need to prove anything else.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:22 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,097,082 times
At first, I figured if his injury could cause any sort of paralysis, then he may not play. Today on the radio, and on some other source, people are claiming that coming from other doctors, there is no way Peyton's injury, even if re-injured, could cause any sort of paralysis.

So if this is true, that the worst case scenario is just slight pain, back aches every so often, etc.., then clearly it is worth it to him to try once more. I do think that if he goes down one more time, he likely would end it. It is one thing to have your back, neck, etc. acting up every so often, another thing if you have pain and/or discomfort more often.

The first few games will be interesting. I don't care what some video shows of him throwing balls at practice. The real test comes when those huge guys on the other team are trying their best to take you to the ground. If he is dwelling on getting re-injured, he won't be able to focus, and it will show in his play. Should be real interesting.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:43 PM

105 posts, read 145,933 times
Oh the horror! I am in mourning. I didn't even get to reside in Indianapolis while he was still the quarterback! I will forever rock my #18 shirt regardless! And I must admit, no matter what team he ends up on I will still follow him (but not the team). I wish he could come back as an offensive coordinator for the Colts someday!

Old 03-08-2012, 01:17 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,880,180 times
the way the league is today, if he goes down and even remotely looks like he has a concussion, he will be pulled. There aren't going to take any chances with Manning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis