Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 03:34 PM

458 posts, read 2,289,655 times

Advertisements

We live in beautiful, but expensive New England and are praying about and considering moving our family somewhere less expensive so that we can have a little more financial ease--perhaps to travel! Someone recently recommended Indianapolis, and I am looking for more information on what it is like to live there.

Is there lots of big city traffic?
Is the city itself very livable?
How are the immediate outlying areas?
How much house and land can you get for your money?
How's the cost of living?
How's the job market?
How far out do you have to go to be in the sticks?
How much Hispanic community is there? (We are a bilingual family)
What's the college community like? I have worked with students for years and am likely to continue to do so, as well as thinking about getting my doctorate in education or ed. psychology.

We are looking for such a wonderful place that we could call it home forever and our kids would not want to hop the next train for NYC once they turn 18.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 06:44 AM

3 posts, read 21,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
We live in beautiful, but expensive New England and are praying about and considering moving our family somewhere less expensive so that we can have a little more financial ease--perhaps to travel! Someone recently recommended Indianapolis, and I am looking for more information on what it is like to live there.

How are the immediate outlying areas?
How's the job market?
What's the college community like? I have worked with students for years and am likely to continue to do so, as well as thinking about getting my doctorate in education or ed. psychology.

We are looking for such a wonderful place that we could call it home forever and our kids would not want to hop the next train for NYC once they turn 18.

Thanks.

Traffic just like any other city, but the traffic is VERY tolerable compared to ALOT of cities, i find it to flow nicely for the most part except when you hit a construction area or few areas, but its not bad at all

The inner-city is pretty rough, just like alot of other cities, the outer-area (basically answering both of ur two questions right here) is very nice however, i would recommend the northside of the town, stay away from some of the westside and definately stay away from alot of the eastside areas

One of the cheapest cities to live in, you could find yourself a beautiful house out in the suburbs for pretty cheap, around 100K, im pretty sure that same house in the New England area would be 300-400K

LOL Again I just answered it unintentionally

How's the job market?

If I'm not mistaken i remember us being ranked #10 as in cities for jobs and careers not too long ago, its pretty good

Its weird, the inner-city and the suburbs are TWO different worlds, in all seriousness, me growing up and being raised my whole life in the inner-city, i consider pretty much 1/3 of the whole county to be "the sticks" but from prolly most peoples eyes, once u leave the county **excluding a couple of areas around Marion County** u basically will find urself in nowhere...

Well, in all honesty, i am a "minority" myself (Afr.Am.) and most of us welcome yall to our city, in fact, out of all of the major cities, i believe Indianapolis was number 1 in fastest growing hispanic population in percentage (I believe over some years it grew over 300%) and its continuing to grow, Hispanics love Indianapolis for alot of reasons, ive been told because of the job market, the cheap housing and such, it may not be high like some other cities, but over the next decade itll prolly BOOM like crazy, however, don't expect love from some caucasian people, they seem to not like the idea of any "diversity" hitting Indianapolis, which is extremely hilarious to me, they wonder why people sometimes believe we don't have enough culture and then don't like the idea of anything new coming here, but i wouldn't care about that

What's the college community like? I have worked with students for years and am likely to continue to do so, as well as thinking about getting my doctorate in education or ed. psychology

Not sure, ud have to ask somebody else about that

There u have it, no sugar coating, just basically the truth, any more questions feel free to ask

Old 09-28-2006, 06:29 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,150,046 times
Hoosier Pride
wouldn't you agree that there has been somewhat of a backlash against the growing Hispanic population in and around Indy?

Old 10-05-2006, 11:29 AM

Default Tell me more about Hispanics & diversity

I forgot to subscribe to this thread, so I missed the last 2 comments--thanks so much! I am looking for a fairly tolerant area for my family. My husband is South American and I am white from the USA, so we are hoping to find friendly neighbors and some Latin culture for the kids.

Tell me more about how diversity is received...

Old 12-07-2006, 07:22 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
Check out Broad Ripple area, maybe a little bit north, Meridian Hills, around College and 71st, Nora. Also outside of the loop where I used to live is nice. Either Zionsville, Carmel, Westfield or Fishers (all are in Hamilton County). Traffic is bad in Fishers though. However don't expect LA, there aren't that many minorites of any kind but it's pretty tolerant on the north side. I am Middle Eastern from DC, my wife is white American from NC, we lived in Indy for 3 1/2 years on the north side and never had any problems. We really enjoyed the areas I mentioned to you, but it's not half as diverse as other big cities so keep that in mind. Carmel has a lot to offer for families with kids, there are some great parks that are all free and it's very close to good restaurants, Broad Ripple area and downtown is only 30 minutes away. Best way to look for houses in Indy is to go to removed, click on "For Home Buyers & Sellers", click on "find a Property", then pick a county, and from there you can pick which township you're interested in, it's a very nice website and gives you access to all the homes on the market.
Good luck.

Last edited by Marka; 12-10-2006 at 05:59 AM..

Old 12-07-2006, 11:17 PM

Thanks! I appreciate the input.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 6,990 times
Default Mr Chevere

Quote:
Thanks! I appreciate the input.
HEY MICAH GIRL . i'AM ALSO HISPANIC LIVING IN A NEW ENGLAND CT AND I'AM ALSO LOOKING TO MOVE TO INDI. HO DID IT GO FOR YOU. WITH ALL THE QUESTIONS YOU HAD?

Old 09-06-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.chevere View Post
HEY MICAH GIRL . i'AM ALSO HISPANIC LIVING IN A NEW ENGLAND CT AND I'AM ALSO LOOKING TO MOVE TO INDI. HO DID IT GO FOR YOU. WITH ALL THE QUESTIONS YOU HAD?
We are actually going to move to Lexington, KY instead. We just fell in love with the city. I hope to visit Indianapolis after we move though.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:19 PM

79 posts, read 461,634 times
Quote:
We are actually going to move to Lexington, KY instead. We just fell in love with the city. I hope to visit Indianapolis after we move though.
I would love to hear why you chose lexington... I figured the only city worth anything in KY was louisville. or maybe just across the river from cincy.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
I would love to hear why you chose lexington... I figured the only city worth anything in KY was louisville. or maybe just across the river from cincy.
Feel free to PM me or check out my many posts on the Lexington, Kentucky, board.

Short answer on Lexington:

Absolutely beautiful city
Culture, arts, city amenities, any shopping you could possibly need.
Character.
Outrageously beautiful horse farms within the city limits.
Affordable real estate.
Hispanic population--There is even a fully bilingual library branch in Lexington.
Excellent public schools, although many in the more expensive neighborhoods.
University of Kentucky (I'm going back to school eventually for a PhD)
Great place to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis