Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 07:24 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,151,479 times

Advertisements

First it was Brightpoint getting bought out by a California company and now Wellpoint is buying out a Virginia Fortune 500. No matter how the healthcare thingy plays itself out, after this acquisition, Wellpoint will be sitting on an insane amount of premium which will be ching ching for them. Other than that, it gets kind of scary with Fortune 500's getting bought out by bigger 500's. A sign of things to come?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 06:14 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Fortune 500 2013, States, CSAs and uncombined MSAs

looks like it doesn't matter. Indianapolis still has 3 Fortune 500s with Simon Property Group taking the 3rd spot now
This has...........nothing to do with the topic at hand.

smiley face

Old 05-07-2013, 06:16 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
First it was Brightpoint getting bought out by a California company and now Wellpoint is buying out a Virginia Fortune 500. No matter how the healthcare thingy plays itself out, after this acquisition, Wellpoint will be sitting on an insane amount of premium which will be ching ching for them. Other than that, it gets kind of scary with Fortune 500's getting bought out by bigger 500's. A sign of things to come?
The company I work for, while not a Fortune 500 by any stretch, just bought a company bigger than the one I work for. These companies buying each other out is a dangerous trend for the American economy.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:44 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,808 times
Random thought. I'm conflicted with how I feel about Wellpoint. On one hand, they are pretty much evil and I have hope that one day the U.S. government does what it should have a long time ago and provide universal health care. On the other, Wellpoint disappearing would likely decimate Indianapolis. I'm not completely sure how, but I feel like universal coverage would also hurt Lilly. Probably by placing price limits on their drugs so that they can't make outrageous profits off of sick people. Either way, my (and many other's) dream for federal government policy has the potential to kill two Fortune 500's in Indianapolis.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:33 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Random thought. I'm conflicted with how I feel about Wellpoint. On one hand, they are pretty much evil and I have hope that one day the U.S. government does what it should have a long time ago and provide universal health care. On the other, Wellpoint disappearing would likely decimate Indianapolis. I'm not completely sure how, but I feel like universal coverage would also hurt Lilly. Probably by placing price limits on their drugs so that they can't make outrageous profits off of sick people. Either way, my (and many other's) dream for federal government policy has the potential to kill two Fortune 500's in Indianapolis.
Does Lilly not sell drugs in countries that have "universal health care" systems? Also, the systems in those countries hasn't thwarted the growth of foreign firms such as Schering-Plough and Sanofi-Aventis.

As for Wellpoint, "universal" need not mean single-payer. Many countries have "universal" systems with private insurer involvement.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:51 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Does Lilly not sell drugs in countries that have "universal health care" systems? Also, the systems in those countries hasn't thwarted the growth of foreign firms such as Schering-Plough and Sanofi-Aventis.

As for Wellpoint, "universal" need not mean single-payer. Many countries have "universal" systems with private insurer involvement.
Yes, but most countries have heavy cost controls on them.

And I get that we'd have private options, but Wellpoint would have to seriously downsize.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:05 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
This has...........nothing to do with the topic at hand.

smiley face

Did you actually expect him to speak to the topic at hand?

The next time he does that will be the first.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:45 PM

934 posts, read 1,441,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Absolutely. During my previous semester we studied about the hefty pay increase CEOs have been getting over the years, while the lower classes are slowly becoming poorer. Eventually I did a study about the power of MNCs and their effect on countries. I actually found studies that talked about MNCs becoming so powerful they actually superseded the state, forming their own identity called "corporate citizens". Very scary.

Basically the flaws of the our economic system are starting to turn ugly in the sense that the wealthy are starting to squeeze the lower class dry for profit. People can imagine how exciting all this is for the younger generation...

Old 05-08-2013, 03:26 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
while this is an interesting topic, let's steer it back on track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: