Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,767 times

Advertisements

Hi there guys. Yeah, another "what suburb should I live in" post. Sorry.

Future hubby and I will be getting married this December and we're looking at different places in Indy to live. Currently living on the Southside (Greenwood/Southport) and sort of bored with it.

A friend at work had recommended the Butler Tarkington neighborhood. I definitely like the idea of older homes and such, but can anybody tell me about the crime there? We just want to live somewhere with nice enough older homes in an area that is considered safe.

Open to any other suggestions as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 04:11 PM

797 posts, read 2,326,182 times
As someone who graduated from Butler, I can tell you I've spent some time in the area and would consider it a good option. The areas on the south side of campus are a little more run down looking in parts, mostly as you get down near 38th street. More students also live in this portion of the neighborhood and there tended to be more property/minor crime issues than in other parts of the neighborhood when I was there. It still wasn't bad though. I remember on a few instances reports of some shady people trying to ask for money or get a student to get in a car with them down that way, but it's not a common occurrence. There are a lot of homes on the east side of campus from say 44th street all the way up to the canal that are nice and many have some great character. I'd say the area is nicer than just south of campus and it's where I would focus if I was looking. It's as safe or safer than anywhere else you could find within the city.

I think this would be a great area for you. It's a fairly quiet neighborhood, but you are extremely close to the sporting events and concerts that go on at Butler. You also have some great outdoor space at Butler that you could use like the Bell Tower and Holcomb Gardens. You also have access to the canal paths right there and the IMA is close by. It's only 15 minutes max to downtown or the Keystone shopping area and less to Broad Ripple and there wouldn't be many rush hour back ups to deal with depending on where you were working. There is a decent Meijer on west 38th street for groceries and whatnot that is safe. Crown Hill cemetery is also a neat place to visit/tour if you're in the area and has a great view of the skyline. Just don't get lost driving around the borders. It gets pretty shady around the edges in places!

Old 11-02-2012, 06:10 PM

4,096 posts, read 11,417,725 times
Lived there for 10+ years and loved it. Only moved downtown after returning because hubby wanted no commute.

Neighbors were a nice blend of young families, retirees, professionals, etc. Loved walking to stores and easy access downtown. It has only improved which itself is a good recommendation.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:58 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,721,074 times
There are a ton of cute houses there, I love when I get to go there. I love the character of the homes. I have never felt unsafe there, but I haven't lived there so I don't really know.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:58 PM

53 posts, read 133,314 times
Another Butler grad here. My wife and I looked around BT when we were shopping for our first home ~2.5 years ago, but settled closer to College and 54th. We sort of looked at Berkley as the absolute do-not-cross line. There's a big difference between 44th and south of 42nd. If you do look down parrallel to campus, being farther east closer to Meridian will usually be nicer due to fewer student rentals, barring maybe Buckingham and Blue Ridge, which are gorgeous all the way to Sunset (and pricey).

If I were living in the area I would want to be as close as possible to the shoppes at 56th and Illinois simply out of convenience. The ability to walk to a number of commercial nodes is a big part of the reason we picked our house. The farther north in BT you go, though, generally the more expensive it gets.

Pretty much all of the neighborhoods around Midtown are great. Butler-Tarkington, Meridian-Kessler, SoBro, Broad Ripple, and Warfleigh really all have some beautiful homes and are generally very safe. Good luck!

Old 11-07-2012, 02:38 PM

4,096 posts, read 11,417,725 times
Agree completely with Coogles. Too close to 38th and/or Buter campus are to be avoided unless a truly special situation. There are a few remarkable houses in the professor area of Butler that would be fine. They are surrounded by houses that are SFH and not student rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis