Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,451 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to the Indianapolis area next year. He'll be working mostly in Greenfield, IN - but I don't think we want to live there. I work from home, so my commute's not an issue - but his is. He really hates driving and doesn't want to commute more than 20 minutes daily. We've no children right now, but we'll (hopefully) have one in the next few years. But schools are not currently a problem. What we do want is a lot of restaurants as we love eating out. We also really like going to cultural events. The biggest problem is his commute. We would much rather live in a place in the city where we've access to lots of things. So I guess we're looking for a place that would be 20 or so minutes from Greenfield and 20 or so minutes from the more "cultural" parts of Indianapolis. Restaurants, comedy clubs, local concert joints etc.

Any suggestions? House wise, it doesn't have to be big - but we prefer a somewhat established neighborhood where I can run outside or bike. I also play tennis, but I can drive for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 08:31 PM

934 posts, read 1,441,873 times
Indianapolis is a very compact city with a lot of its amenities in the downtown core. The closer you can get to the Circle, the better. If your husband could tough it out and take a 30 minute commute, you could live in one of the nice urban areas around the downtown which would put you in walking distance of bike trails, the canal, museums, stadiums, the mall, and lots of local restaurants. Look into places like Lockerbie, or the old Northside. If he won't take the 30 minute commute, the trick here becomes finding a nice area on the Eastside (I'm sure there is), but I'll leave a more experienced Hoosier to give you some suggestions (I'm new to Indy, and know mostly about the South and West side). You should be able to find what you are looking for which could be someplace in the middle (about 15 minutes from downtown Indy and 15-20 minutes from Greenfield).

Good Luck! And please ask away!

Old 12-19-2012, 04:24 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
Really your only choices are closer to downtown Indy or Greenfield itself. Since you both work, time together is important and I would suggest one of the better subdivisions around Greenfield (they do exist) where there are others who work at places like Covance (former Lilly plant) or such.

very limited commute
Quiet and safe
Beautiful if you pick the right spot
Close enough to go to downtown, north indy, south indy on interstate

If you are asking for a more urban lifestyle, the only way to really get a commute is to live close to downtown Indy and then your husband has the commute of at least half an hour. However, it will be generally contra traffic since almost everyone is coming into Indy in the morning not leaving and it is all interstate driving on a pretty straight road. There is not much I would recommend on the eastern side of Indy. There are pockets, like Irvington, but it would be spotty and I would not yet recommend the schools.

We live right downtown and walk downtown. Lots of young runners and walkers. The historic neighborhoods are close to several easy interstate access points and again a straight shot to Greenfield. So a lot depends on what your husband wants to do with his time.

We moved downtown because when we were in North Carolina, husband had a 30 minute stressful commute to work. He asked for as short a commute as possible. We really love downtown and have lived north about a 15 minute commute. I dont recommend the north side due to the added time to get to the interstate which would add to the 30 minute commute.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:10 AM

53 posts, read 134,223 times
I'd take a look at Irvington. Beautiful old homes, tree-lined streets, a revitalizing Washington Street corridor, and seemingly stable home values. The Irvington charter schools seem to be doing well too when the two of you do decide to start a family.

There's the Pleasant Run Trail, Ellenberger Park for tennis, some nice restaurants and shoppes right in the neighborhood, plus it's a short drive downtown for more entertainment options.

Your husband's commute wouldn't be too awful; 15ish miles one way, maybe 25-30 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis