Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 02:14 PM

9 posts, read 12,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I don't get how some people say Carmel is equivalent to Naperville. Carmel is known as the richest suburb in Indiana and stuck up. I don't really see Naperville as that. I see naperville as a upper middle class suburb that doesn't really impress people the way Carmel does.
I'd say Carmel/Fishers/Westfield/Zionsville/Noblesville is the "North Shore" equivalent of suburban Indianapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 03:58 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,491,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertpaulian View Post
I'd say Carmel/Fishers/Westfield/Zionsville/Noblesville is the "North Shore" equivalent of suburban Indianapolis.
I would say the "North Shore" equivalent would be more so the Meridian Hills/Williams Creek areas of Washington Township as far as wealth and housing stock goes. Maybe Zionsville as well (in the village section). Other than that, the more open areas of Zionsville and West Carmel remind me more of a Barrington type area as far as wealth and housing. Now when you talk about public schools, the prestige of Zionsville and Carmel would match that of Naperville district 203 schools. However, if someone from the north shore were moving to the Indianapolis area, safe to say their best bet would be Carmel or Zionsville and they really would not be losing out on much at all.

The reason why Carmel is often compared to Naperville is primarily due to the fact that they are both very large suburban areas with the main difference being that Naperville was more built out than Carmel. Carmel has a median income of just over $100K and median home values just over $305K and Naperville has a median income of just over $105K and median home values just over $372K. When adjusted for differences in cost of living, I would say that Carmel residents may have a little more disposable income on average, but not so much more as to North Shore suburban levels. Of course, there are exceptions, but I am speaking of the average resident. Driving through Carmel is a lot more similar to driving through Naperville than it is any of the North Shore suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis