Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 10:04 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,884,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongordo8 View Post
I wouldn't say we want an urban enviornment, just a place that has DINKS like us (I love that term) and unique and exciting dining opportunities. So broad ripple,meridian kessler, carmel, westlake. Should I include Butler Tarkington? SoBro? What about Nova or Castleton?
Not Castleton so much, or Nora, IMHO.

My DINK friends all live in Carmel and love it. Although they all have dogs that are like their children, which is a large part of the reason they love dog-friendly Carmel. So I guess technically they are DINKS + dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 10:23 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,164,886 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say we want an urban enviornment, just a place that has DINKS like us (I love that term) and unique and exciting dining opportunities. So broad ripple,meridian kessler, carmel, westlake. Should I include Butler Tarkington? SoBro? What about Nova or Castleton?
U would love butler tarkington. Everything revolves around the university but it keeps you young. Holcomb gardens plus immediate access to the canal is a definite bonus along with ima being right there. For dog lovers the way the parks are lined up, each township has a major park each with a bark park and there are some standalone bark parks throughout the city. Garfield, sahm, nw way, sw and se way, cant remember for wayne and perry along with eagle creek (flagship park) offer great amenities. Then you have smaller parks like holiday and perry that also offer what you are looking for. The dogs would really like holiday park.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:55 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,290,206 times
Quote:
Nora and Castleton about just about the epitome of chain restaurants/shops and heavy traffic. Sure, there are a few mom & pop shops mixed in, but Castleton is dominated by the largest mall in the state so you can imagine it's mostly chains and lots of traffic and stoplights. Nora is a little better but certainly not on the scale of the Meridian-Kessler area.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:29 AM

24 posts, read 85,590 times
For established urban environment, I would go with SoBro (south Broad Ripple). It's not in the thick of Broad Ripple (less congestion/bars/college students) and continues to attract locally acclaimed restaurants like Recess. For the dog, there is a bark park in Broad Ripple.

For an up and coming urban environment, I would hands down go with Fountain Square. It has a fabulous collection of local restaurants plus my new favorite - Bluebeard - whose young chefs were just recently nominated for a James Beard award (Merchant Directory). There is no bark park nearby, but I've heard plans are under way for one at 25th and the Monon. Another plus to the area is the completion of the Cultural Trail.

I'm less familiar with suburban areas. I'll just second/third the previous statements of Nora/Castleton as being chain heavy.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Nora and Castleton about just about the epitome of chain restaurants/shops and heavy traffic. Sure, there are a few mom & pop shops mixed in, but Castleton is dominated by the largest mall in the state so you can imagine it's mostly chains and lots of traffic and stoplights. Nora is a little better but certainly not on the scale of the Meridian-Kessler area.
Southlake mall still has more gla and sq footage than castleton square. Its just not part of simons world real estate domination

Old 03-30-2013, 03:58 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,290,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Southlake mall still has more gla and sq footage than castleton square. Its just not part of simons world real estate domination
I'm sure that's true. When I lived in Fort Wayne I kept hearing Glenbrook Square was the largest in the state as well and it's also not owned by Simon.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzclara View Post
For established urban environment, I would go with SoBro (south Broad Ripple). It's not in the thick of Broad Ripple (less congestion/bars/college students) and continues to attract locally acclaimed restaurants like Recess. For the dog, there is a bark park in Broad Ripple.

For an up and coming urban environment, I would hands down go with Fountain Square. It has a fabulous collection of local restaurants plus my new favorite - Bluebeard - whose young chefs were just recently nominated for a James Beard award (Merchant Directory). There is no bark park nearby, but I've heard plans are under way for one at 25th and the Monon. Another plus to the area is the completion of the Cultural Trail.

I'm less familiar with suburban areas. I'll just second/third the previous statements of Nora/Castleton as being chain heavy.
Bluebeard is fletcher place not fs. Have tgey finally finished the bridge section yet if u know?

Old 03-30-2013, 05:43 PM

19 posts, read 24,162 times
Thank you to everyone who responded. My fiance drove through several areas today that you mentioned and spent some time in broad ripple. She said she loves these areas. So we are going to focus our search on Broad Ripple, Meridian Kessler, Butler Tarkington (stay above 44th street is what I am reading, and SoBro. We just got a recommendation for a realtor so we will pass the information I got from here to them and start looking.

If we decide to rent a house instead of purchasing, any websites you suggest for these areas? Looking on cl and on the mls I didnt find a whole lot that are out there.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Thank you to everyone who responded. My fiance drove through several areas today that you mentioned and spent some time in broad ripple. She said she loves these areas. So we are going to focus our search on Broad Ripple, Meridian Kessler, Butler Tarkington (stay above 44th street is what I am reading, and SoBro. We just got a recommendation for a realtor so we will pass the information I got from here to them and start looking.

If we decide to rent a house instead of purchasing, any websites you suggest for these areas? Looking on cl and on the mls I didnt find a whole lot that are out there.
For mk and bt above 44th is more important for mk than bt. Bt 44th is right behind fraternity row so you'll deal with rentals and college students. Your realtor should have some credible homes available for lease.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:12 PM

218 posts, read 464,150 times
Quote:

I would think you'd be okay staying above 42nd in both MK and BT. And, in a few more years, you can probably be okay through the entirety of MK and BT. Right now, anything between 38th and 42nd is dodgy, but you can probably get a good deal, and the areas are definitely improving. If you're willing to deal with a slightly above-average crime rate, you will probably have a great investment 10 years down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis