Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 03:52 PM

172 posts, read 512,524 times

Advertisements

+1 Gib

And, domergirl, as for the ESL deal, back home in Kalifornia the've been preaching ESL for 40 years or more. The program doesn't work. Almost every ethnic group has retreated behind it's own walls and has felt even more separated. I cultivated ethnic relationships as a Realtor and I can't tell you how difficult it is to gain their trust. They don't want to learn English or become "Americanized". They just want to have all our freedoms and the ability to make $100K a year.

State, County and City governments have gone as far as publishing ballots in 8 different languages! I really feel that Kalifornia is not part of America anymore... they have become their own entity. I couldn't live there anymore. It's not the same place I grew up in and loved so much.

Maybe AR would feel more comfortable out there?

Old 12-13-2007, 06:28 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,769,133 times
But pressuring us to learn Spanish isn't the answer either. That's the double edged sword of not having an official language in this country. It's nice not to have one, but again, I can see where having an official language might squash some of this non choice learning of a foreign language.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:29 AM

You're absolutely right. I believe the only solution is to learn the language of the land.
If ya really stop and think about it... Would a person be accepted in France is they didn't learn the french language?
I don't think any other country is as permissive about accepting other languages as we are.
My motto... Speak English, or GO HOME!

Old 12-13-2007, 10:59 AM

But that's the issue, the US is the only country in the world that doesn't have an official language. In France, French is the official language of business. With that comes the fact that you can take language classes on the government's dime because it's their government law.

If you want English to be adopted as the official language in this country then folks need to hit up their reps. I find it interesting that no presidential candidates seem to finding this issue important enough to bring into the arena.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:54 PM

260 posts, read 1,347,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
But that's the issue, the US is the only country in the world that doesn't have an official language. In France, French is the official language of business. With that comes the fact that you can take language classes on the government's dime because it's their government law.

If you want English to be adopted as the official language in this country then folks need to hit up their reps. I find it interesting that no presidential candidates seem to finding this issue important enough to bring into the arena.
Que? No hablo ingles. Can someone please translate this forum into spanish so that I can participate?

Old 12-13-2007, 01:25 PM

Don't be smug gib!! From our forum rules:

English is the only language to be used this board, use translation software if needed.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Don't be smug gib!! From our forum rules:

English is the only language to be used this board, use translation software if needed.
He he....can't help it, smug is my middle name. From Gibby's rules:

Humor can be / shoud be found in all situations!!!! Makes life much more enjoyable

Old 12-13-2007, 03:08 PM

44 posts, read 124,221 times
Default Simplistic answers to complex problems

Quote:

So our problems would be solved if we made English our official language.Please! Did you happen to see the riots in France just a year or so? Ever seen the slums outside of Paris? French was declared the official language in 1992
and there is no proof that it did anything so solve the overall problems.By the way Switzerland has four official
languages, Canada has two, and Belgium Ha! I thought the "America love it or leave it "mentality died off in the 60,s
apparently not in Indy.To the individual from the D.R.I would suggest you move to Chicago. You made your case or I should say these replies have made if for you.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:38 PM

tball6733, I don't think I read that ANYBODY said that making English the official language would solve all our problems.
If you want to vent go ahead... but don't start by misrepresenting the information in the thread.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tball6733 View Post
I thought the "America love it or leave it "mentality died off in the 60,s
apparently not in Indy.
I was not aware of that mentality ever dying off??? Not in America or any country. Or maybe you don't understand the true message that is trying to be conveyed. No country should be expected to bend over backwards to appease any group of people. We are what we are, and if you want to come here, youre more than welcome, but you have to accept the differences and the American way of life...sure our way may not be perfect, but it is what it is and it must not be to bad or else so many people from other countries wouldnt want to be coming here...and if it is not what they expected or if they don't like it all they want to do is complain about how we don't accept them, we're racist and close minded, which is total BS. Maybe they are the ones that are closed minded because they can not except OUR way of life???? This is a losing battle I'm sure, but as I said earlier, how is this any different than joining a club or a church that has different views than you and then expecting them to conform to YOUR beliefs? Go find someplace else that is more in lines whith what you want. Nothing closed minded or racist about that, just a hard fact of life...in any city or any country.

And I did not get that Domergurl was suggesting that an official language was the answer to world peace, just that it would solve SOME of the issues we have about schools, hospitals, goverment offices etc. being expected to hire interpreturs and spend money to convert things to other languages...if I may be so bold as to expand a little on what I got out of her comment.

This IS America....love it or leave it...call it what you want, sounds like a little thing called PRIDE to me.....if that way of thinking ever dies, then i guess it would no longer be America....where would all the foriegners go to then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis