Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 04:53 AM

12 posts, read 59,986 times

Advertisements

The city has a 37 Walk Score (walkscore.com does not reveal a public transportation score so it must be very low) but state Republicans kill light-rail bills. Can't fix stupid. So, there lots of smelly cars (86th street REEKS on warm days). One night I kept my window open and awoke from extremely stinky air. I see A LOT of soot from semi-trucks and wonder why isn't the city enforcing more strict pollution laws. With lots of cars comes lots of noise pollution as well - young hick types with extremely loud mufflers thinking they're Jeff Gordon.

The apartments are depressing and ugly. There might be 1 Built Green or LEED project in the entire city and its probably at/near the IUPUI campus. I have not found a complex that offers recycling/composting. Honestly, I haven't seen a recycling bin anywhere, not even at Panera Bread. Stupid!

IL and MI are moving forward on medical marijuana but Indiana is actually going backwards. If I read correctly, Gov Pence signed for harsher marijuana penalties earlier this year. Purdue makes oxy and lots of other drugs come from Indiana but that's not an excuse for punishing people with legitimate illnesses who can benefit from marijuana. With such filthy air, Hoosiers are likely to develop cancer and other illnesses but state leaders don't give a damn. More stupid!

The people are ok; nicer than folks in the Pacific Northwest. But I'm surprised they voted in a bunch of morons to govern their lives. The only good thing about this state/city is the state lottery game. It starts at 1M and increases a fixed 500K after each drawing. Other state games increase based on participation which averages around $250K to $300K.

Jobs - I see many city and state accounting jobs offering $13/hr! These jobs also require a bachelor degree WTF?! I realize cost of living is low here but I didn't graduate from college to earn *****ing $13/hr!

Can someone explain to me why Indiana likes being stupid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 06:06 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
They like Republicans...

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-30-2013, 06:12 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoonMoon View Post
The city has a 37 Walk Score (walkscore.com does not reveal a public transportation score so it must be very low) but state Republicans kill light-rail bills.
Indianapolis has some walkable neighborhoods. We gobbled up our suburbs way back when though; 86th Street included in that. This has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum, and I don't think you would get much argument from the regulars that Indy could improve outside of those urban islands. As far as mass transit, it is generally the ruralpublicans that are stalling the progress. Not much we can do about that in Indianapolis short of seceding from the state.

Quote:
The apartments are depressing and ugly. There might be 1 Built Green or LEED project in the entire city and its probably at/near the IUPUI campus. I have not found a complex that offers recycling/composting. Honestly, I haven't seen a recycling bin anywhere, not even at Panera Bread. Stupid!
You probably have not looked hard enough for the recycling bins.

Quote:
IL and MI are moving forward on medical marijuana but Indiana is actually going backwards. If I read correctly, Gov Pence signed for harsher marijuana penalties earlier this year. Purdue makes oxy and lots of other drugs come from Indiana but that's not an excuse for punishing people with legitimate illnesses who can benefit from marijuana. With such filthy air, Hoosiers are likely to develop cancer and other illnesses but state leaders don't give a damn. More stupid!
I don't smoke pot, so I don't really follow pot laws a whole lot. If it came for a vote to legalize it, I would prefer it be legal. Indiana is about average as far as cancer rates.

Quote:
Jobs - I see many city and state accounting jobs offering $13/hr! These jobs also require a bachelor degree WTF?! I realize cost of living is low here but I didn't graduate from college to earn *****ing $13/hr!
I started out of college taking a job that did not pay what I felt I was worth. It did take some networking and work, but I have risen above that. You have to start somewhere I guess; and no, I am not an accountant.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:40 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times
I have to agree with you regarding the state politicians especially the bible thumping governor Pence... He and his cronies are a bunch of backwards minded idiots who are holding this state back. There is no reason why this city can't have a good public transportation system, it's absolutely absurd!

Old 09-30-2013, 07:00 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
I agree with Toxic Toast. The problem with mass transit in Indy is for some reason we have to get approval from the entire state to do it. Right now, it's only 2 counties out of 92 that would be impacted by the current bill but for some reason, everyone in the state has to have a say. It doesn't make any sense to me. Can someone tell me if other big cities have to get approval from the entire state to develop their mass transit plans?

Do you live on W 86th St? There is a stretch there around the Zionsville Rd area that always has a smell. I haven't cared enough to locate the source but obviously it's one of the factories there. Otherwise, I've slept with windows open without waking up to a smell. Granted that was along 116th St in Fishers, not in Indy. Recycling bins exist. My wife, before we got married, lived in apartments near 86th and Township line and would take her recycling to bins in front of Wal-Mart on 86th St.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:11 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Can someone tell me if other big cities have to get approval from the entire state to develop their mass transit plans?
Georgia and Pennsylvania seem to be going out of their way to impede existing and expanding mass transit in ATL and Philly. In fact, it would seem Atlanta and Georgia have an even more dysfunctional relationship than Indianapolis has with Indiana.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:13 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times
Bad got worse when Pence got elected.... He's an absolute tool!

Old 09-30-2013, 07:14 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Georgia and Pennsylvania seem to be going out of their way to impede existing and expanding mass transit in ATL and Philly. In fact, it would seem Atlanta and Georgia have an even more dysfunctional relationship than Indianapolis has with Indiana.
Wow, and Atlanta's traffic is much, much worse than Indy's.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:42 AM

12 posts, read 59,986 times
Quote:
Do you live on W 86th St? There is a stretch there around the Zionsville Rd area that always has a smell. I haven't cared enough to locate the source but obviously it's one of the factories there. Otherwise, I've slept with windows open without waking up to a smell. Granted that was along 116th St in Fishers, not in Indy. Recycling bins exist. My wife, before we got married, lived in apartments near 86th and Township line and would take her recycling to bins in front of Wal-Mart on 86th St.
Thanks for the recycling info. I'm temporarily staying at the InTown Suite on 86th.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:45 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,930 times
Quote:
Wow, and Atlanta's traffic is much, much worse than Indy's.
I know I use to live there. I'll take 465 over 285 traffic any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis