Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,857 times

Advertisements

We are relocating, hopefully in March from Utah. My husband works for Costco, so will work on the north side of the city. Our biggest concern is the schools, because our son is autistic. I have done a lot of research on the autism resources in the area, and they look great, but I still want to be in a great school district.
I feel like we need to make a really informed decision when we do purchase a house, since the market doesn't really seem to be very good for selling, so I don't want to move again once we've bought a house.
So I guess what I am asking is---which part of Indy has the best schools and neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 05:14 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Both of the Costcos are on the same street, on opposite ends of Marion County. The one of West 86th would be close to Zionsville and the one on east 82nd (86th turns into 82nd between Keystone & Allisonville ... go figure), would be closer to Fishers, but Carmel is right in between. I have a friend who have a special needs son and they thought Carmel was terrific for his son's needs. I'd call Carmel, Zionsville & Hamilton Southeastern (Fishers) and grill them all to see which one you feel better about.

Here's a website that may be of use, sorry if you've already looked at it:
http://www.autismindiana.org/Central.html (broken link)

As far as the northside of Indianapolis, Washington Twp schools are very good in the city.
best of luck in your move from Utah.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:17 AM

47 posts, read 163,298 times
As a lifelong resident of Indianapolis, and product of Washington township schools, I thought I'd chime in. The previous poster's suggestions of Carmel, Zionsville, Washington township and Hamilton Southeastern are good. I would like to add in Brownsburg Schools in hendricks county as well. The town of Brownsburg is a suburb on the Northwest side of Indianapolis. The schools are consistently ranked among the best in the state and the city itself is growing very rapidly. They're building new schools, but the district is still small so attention to your son's needs will probably be good. You'll be able to get significantly more house for your money than in the northern suburbs the previous poster mentioned. All the while, it's still a close drive to the Costco on Michigan rd.

I currently own a home (that is for sale) in Brownsburg School District. The neighborhood is filled with TONS of kids. It's probably a 20 minute (gorgous) drive to that Costco on Michigan, 5-10 minutes to grocery & shopping, 20 minutes to downtown and the airport. <dm the mls number please>

Last edited by domergurl; 12-29-2007 at 12:22 PM..

Old 12-29-2007, 01:05 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,321 times
And, if you want to see his house or any other on the market, I can show it to you! Check my profile if you would like to see my webiste or contact info.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:10 PM

7 posts, read 27,804 times
Stay away from ISP (inside indy
s loop) no offense to those who attend them, but they're all ****holes imho. North of Indy is the place to be.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:33 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,438 times
I actually have a very specific school to recommend . . .Carmel Elementary in the Carmel school district has an exceptional staff and an extremely supportive principal. We have a child who is 'different' and things were very difficult when he first started school. The principal is a gem and the entire district is excellent. Good luck.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:27 PM

225 posts, read 1,092,358 times
like the 2nd man said hendricks county schools especially avon and brownsburg might be some good choices. a friend of mine is the special ed teacher at avon high school. those would be the 2 i would suggest

Old 01-09-2008, 05:04 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,321 times
Once in a while I substitute teach in the Avon schools, and my son is enrolled in 1st grade. I would highly recommend Avon schools.

Also, I have been in the moderate/severe handicap room a few times and was really impressed at the care provided.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:48 PM

23 posts, read 126,269 times
Default Go for Carmel or Zionsville

We moved to Indy area 4-5 months ago, currently living in Carmel. I did lots of search on schools and living areas, so trust me. Try not to go with the Indianapolis area, even Washington Township. Best would be west Carmel, or Zionsville. One Cosco is actually right in the area between Zionsville and Indianapolis, and very near to west Carmel. If your husband works there, you can live in west Carmel or Zionsville, both are great. However, the other cosco is around Fishers area, there you'll have to live in Fishers or East Carmel. Fishers is not as good as Carmel, as far as schools. Also, east Carmel is more an old area compared to west Carmel, and I don't think the school system there is as good as west carmel although they are all considered "Carmel schools". So, bottomline: 1. West Carmel 2. Zionsville
Good Luck!

Old 01-10-2008, 06:45 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Where are you getting your data regarding schools? Last I saw, every school in HSE was a 4 star school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis