Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2015, 12:57 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times

Advertisements

I would be lying if I said I cared about San Francisco's job market, or anything about San Francisco relative to Indianapolis really. This is still the Indianapolis forum, yes?

Look guy, we get it. Midwest sucks and Cole Valley is amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 01:00 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I would be lying if I said I cared about San Francisco's job market, or anything about San Francisco relative to Indianapolis really. This is still the Indianapolis forum, yes?

Look guy, we get it. Midwest sucks and Cole Valley is amazing.
Not exactly. Chicago is also amazing. It's just Indy and most of Ohio that "sucks".

Old 07-24-2015, 01:04 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Not exactly. Chicago is also amazing. It's just Indy and most of Ohio that "sucks".
In my industry I can make Chicago wages in Indy and Ohio cities without Chicago prices and taxes.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
In my industry I can make Chicago wages in Indy and Ohio cities without Chicago prices and taxes.
Congrats. You're one of the lucky ones and you're probably going to end up with a nice nest egg as a result.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:35 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Yes, but you're not really trying to compare the types of jobs between the two cities by saying that, are you?

I'm not claiming to be some kind of winner here - there are plenty of people who move here who are talented who kick butt and make a killing, and there are some people with their head in the clouds who move here thinking it's just a totally liberal-bohemian place and they can just make it with a bunch of roommates and work in some liberal arts job. It's really not the case these days, and the area will swallow and spit those people out. SF is becoming the new Manhattan without the fancy Wall Street clothing.

You can't wander into a competitive landscape and expect to be successful without busting your butt and perhaps flopping a few times. My wife mentions that it's a lot easier to get burnt out here because of it. When everyone is go-go-go, it can be draining for some. I'm a pretty laid back guy, so there's not a lot that stresses me out other than the health of my family. If she starts to get burnt out and wants to leave, then we're going to move to someplace a little more relaxed.
I'm sick of having an argument that is based on your specific life experiences and hatred for Indianapolis. I'm leaving Indy within the next year, so I'm not some loyalist homer. I just think you're naive about the opportunities in Indianapolis and income inequality in SF. I prefer arguments that actually include data when it's available. I point out that Indy also has full employment, so you respond to that data with a personal opinion. No, I didn't try to compare the types of jobs people in Indianapolis and SF have. I no longer have enough interest in moving to SF to waste my time researching that. If you want to make the claims you're making, please back them up with actual facts so that those of us who want to can verify those claims.

It's kind of sad, but SF actually ranks between Rawanda and Guatemala in income inequality:
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ns-5486434.php

Last edited by wh15395; 07-25-2015 at 08:46 AM..

Old 07-25-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I'm sick of having an argument that is based on your specific life experiences and hatred for Indianapolis. I'm leaving Indy within the next year, so I'm not some loyalist homer. I just think you're naive about the opportunities in Indianapolis and income inequality in SF. I prefer arguments that actually include data when it's available. I point out that Indy also has full employment, so you respond to that data with a personal opinion. No, I didn't try to compare the types of jobs people in Indianapolis and SF have. I no longer have enough interest in moving to SF to waste my time researching that. If you want to make the claims you're making, please back them up with actual facts so that those of us who want to can verify those claims.

It's kind of sad, but SF actually ranks between Rawanda and Guatemala in income inequality:
Income inequality on par with developing nations - SFGate
I have no argument about the income inequality - so you're barking at the wall there.

Take one look at glassdoor.com, theladders.com, angel.co, and any other job site that shows salaries, and look at the $150k+ jobs in the area, versus the $80k+ jobs (what might be the COL equivalent) in Indy. You're asking for data, that's it.

Sorry McDonald, you can't get rid of me that easily. I spent too much time in Indy to let my experiences go silent.

I won't profess anything about SF anymore as a compromise.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:01 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
If you think going on some personal vendetta against Indy is going to get people to listen to you then a big reality check is coming. Making up hyperbole doesnt help your credibility.
I know you think you are helping, but you're not. Indianapolis is not a utopia and not every person likes every place. Mr. Servo is not the first hating personna with an axe to grind on the city data, and he won't be the last. Let it go.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:41 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times
Default Indianapolis has a lot going for it

Indy is not a big city and does not have the culture of NYC or even Chicago. However, it is a pretty decent medium sized city with a great sports scene. Cost of living is really low and you can get a great house for a great price. Property taxes are reasonable and the state and local governments are not broke.

Same house in Carmel can be bought for 400k that costs 800k in Naperville. Biggest difference is the taxes. In Carmel you are talking 5000 vs 15000 in Naperville for annual property taxes.

Geography is pretty boring until you get an hour south of Indy. Weather is okay but gets pretty hot and humid in summer and still pretty cold in winter (though much warmer and less snow than WI or MI). Lot more ice and sleet in Indy though.

Overall, great place to raise a family, especially for those with conservative views. Many Democrats in Indiana are more conservative than Republicans in places like Chicago.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:27 PM

271 posts, read 458,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Indy is not a big city and does not have the culture of NYC or even Chicago. However, it is a pretty decent medium sized city with a great sports scene.
So .. Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, St Louis, etc. Are not big cities then?

Sure the bigger city's population is the more distinct culture it will have but that isn't the only factor to consider when determining whether a city is big or not. Indy and the other 2 million plus metros are clearly big cities, heck even the smaller ones like Louisville, Nashville, Memphis, NOLA etc are big cities.

Medium sized cities are Evansville, Fort Wayne, Dayton, Lexington, etc.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:44 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times
Default Indianapolis is not a big city

Fort Wayne is on the small end of mediumisized cities with around 270k people.

Indianapolis is a medium sized city with 850k people. Metro area is 1.8MM.

Indianapolis is 14th largest city in the US and the metro area ranks 33rd.

Indianapolis is actually slightly smaller market than metro Cincy or St. Louis.

Columbus Ohio has slightly smaller city population and slightly larger metro population than Indy.

Nashville has metro population of 1.8MM, basically the same as Indy though city proper is only 644k people.

Last edited by Humboldt1; 07-26-2015 at 11:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis