Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 PM

235 posts, read 287,853 times

Advertisements

Really, there's nothing remotely comparable to Caputo's in the Indy area? Ack! As someone who is considering moving to one of the burbs if things work out it still sounds like a relaxed change of pace. I find it interesting that visitors to Chicago are the ones that seem to think so highly of it. With the fiscal cliff both the city and state are going to be driving over in the very near future you'll probably see a lot of Chicagoans heading south on I-65. Absent major reforms in pensions, which will never happen, the city has already said property taxes will at least double to make up the shortfall. And don't forget the push for a graduated income tax, and AFSCME has said the 67% income tax hike of a few years ago isn't enough and they want it raised even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 11:22 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,778,165 times
I was up in Chicago a couple of weeks ago for a long weekend. Went to Navy pier and caught the acrobat show, Lincoln Park Zoo and then went to St benedicts on W Irving i think for a Led Zep tribute band. The next day to Six flags and then headed home. Also went to Chinatown and did a hot pot at one of the restaraunts there. Wasnt any better than a hot pot I get here in Indy. We do a long weekend in Chicago once a year or so if we something interesting.

Its a nice place to visit but I woulldnt want to live there

In Indy for me right now raising a family this is the place to be. And being one of those, what you call hill jacks, well that would be me as i come from a very remote part of the midwest originally. There wasnt much of an economy so we had to come to Indy for a good paying job to better raise our family. We found a nice place in the country on a private lake reasonalby priced with an easy easy commute to our jobs. Small town has great schools none of the inner city BS you get with IPS or im sure chicago schools.

And I love this whole "chicago pizza" thing as if no one else in the world can make a pizza. To be honest I dont get the whole I'd rather live downtown thing at all. If you would like Im sure I could come up with several paragraphs as to why living in the country is better than living in a city, any city

Including Chicago

Old 08-01-2013, 05:04 AM

622 posts, read 1,197,005 times
I can respect that reply. While I'd much rather live in the city than the country, I can see why others feel the opposite.

I miss the pizza and dogs and grocery stores but you're right...it's not like nobody else can make it correctly. It's that it's not readily available around here.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:15 AM

285 posts, read 386,228 times
A nice look at city vs. other living:

City vs. Country: Who Is Healthier? - WSJ.com

Old 08-01-2013, 11:30 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,981,704 times
I lived in just about all environments everything from rural Alabama to one of the world's densest urban places in Japan sharing only one small room surrounded by stacked concrete on all sides. I don't really have a favorite because I've grown up to appreciate both places. There are times when I would like to just get away from the city to some place remote for some nature but then I eventually want to go back to a more urban environment. Rather if it's a highrise or a cabin by the river makes no difference to me. As for health, it depends on the person really regardless of the environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis