Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 10:28 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times

Advertisements

I have been meaning to post this for awhile. I travel to Indy a lot for work. I used to live there a few years back as I migrated south from Chicago.

First, lets start with the good. Downtown is almost fully built out. It may be the best, most fully functional dt in the Midwest outside Chicago. It is very functional for residents as well as tourists, mainly conventioneers. It is very easy to walk from the different stadiums to shopping, restaurants, bars, and nice hotels. The cultural trail has been a real boon to the center city. It really has helped connect some areas that felt disconnected before. The car sharing and bike sharing programs have really helped to build a more urban downtown. Surface lots are slowly filling with infill. The most impressive current construction involves the transit center, combined with 360 Market Square and the new Cummins bldg. My concern for dt Indy is there are too many generic, 100-200 apt complexes being built, all with ridiculous names. This started to a degree in the 1990s, and has accelerated in the past 5 years. My fear is when the apartment craze ends (and it will), what will happen to all those buildings? Many are built very cheaply and generic ( I am looking at you, Artistry). Strangely, my favorite new building is Millikin. That part of Mass Ave needed a larger anchor...it will give it a "baby Chicago" feel when residents are all moved in.

A couple questions..I am aware of the all the new apartment bldgs, but what is going in at New York and Penn? Also on North Illinois St? Both are large construction sites with dirt , but no signs. I was glad to have some extra time between meetings to walk/bike (love the bike share) and drive around for longer than I have in the past. I have spent probably a couple weeks time traversing these neighborhoods and walking them to see how they changed the last decade since I lived there. Also surprised Wishard met the wrecking ball....could have been repurposed to nice medical student lofts...

Now to what I see as Indy's weaknesses. Please take this as constructive criticism because if Indy can build up her neighborhoods more, it can be one of the best Midwest cities, and I don't think there are a lot of folks outside Indiana who see it that way now. Indy's urban neighborhoods are really lacking. I was glad to see continued progress in Herron-Morton and Old Northside. Many great rehabs as well some new historic looking infill on a few corners. It does lack a commercial corridor, though.

The rest of Indy's "urban nabes?" They are just not ready for primetime. Fountain Square and Fletcher Place, while having a few nice shops and restaurants and a decent housing stock, don't feel like a true urban, vibrant area. They are very very small. That said, the dedicated bike lane on Shelby St could potentially attract the kind of urban hispter retail, T-shirt stores, coffee shops, and bookstores needed to attract the demographic I am talking about. Right now the development in the area is small, but of course the old Fountain Square theater bldg and fountains are a beautiful starting point.

Bates-Hendricks? It is nowhere near ready for primetime. I actually see this area as having the most potential since it is the largest, gridded urban area that close to downtown that still needs work. Bates-Hendricks is not as viable as many here claim unless a commercial corridor develops along East St. Right now, the area is not the nicest place to walk. Bates-Hendricks could be the hipster hood that is lacking in Indy right now. Think Over the Rhine in Cincy, or more likely, Germantown in Louisville. The housing stock is actually more similar to Germantown in Louisville. Still, lots of work needed here.

Indy's worst neighborhood weakness in the center city is that there is an obvious barrier to development in the interstates and the white river. There is no reason that the area just west of downtown, past the zoo, shouldn't be a nice area. With the exception of Fountain Square, there is very little rehabbing going on east of 65/70 as well. If Indy is to reach her full potential, there needs to be a cool commercial corridor develop east down Michican, Washington, or NY. I was encouraged to see a small development of townhouse off Dorman.

And Indy's other urban areas? From Broad Ripple to Irvington, to even inner ring suburbs like Beech Grove...these areas cannot compare to other cities in the region. So, as amazing as downtown Indy is, what will happen when these millennials that live in apartments decide they want single family homes? Will they look at Old Northside and Bates-Hendricks? Or Carmel and Fishers?

I think Indy is doing great things overall. I could really envision Indy building a light rail and El. I think the center city is set up perfect for a loop like Chicago. You could start with one line that runs from the Airport/Speedway to downtown, makes a loop alone the mile square, and then goes north towards Meridian-Kessler/BroadRipple, and terminates in downtown Carmel. I think that is what could really elevate Indy to the next level of city it wants to be...the Denvers of the world. Until then, there is a long way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 10:31 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I have been meaning to post this for awhile. I travel to Indy a lot for work. I used to live there a few years back as I migrated south from Chicago.

First, lets start with the good. Downtown is almost fully built out. It may be the best, most fully functional dt in the Midwest outside Chicago. It is very functional for residents as well as tourists, mainly conventioneers. It is very easy to walk from the different stadiums to shopping, restaurants, bars, and nice hotels. The cultural trail has been a real boon to the center city. It really has helped connect some areas that felt disconnected before. The car sharing and bike sharing programs have really helped to build a more urban downtown. Surface lots are slowly filling with infill. The most impressive current construction involves the transit center, combined with 360 Market Square and the new Cummins bldg. My concern for dt Indy is there are too many generic, 100-200 apt complexes being built, all with ridiculous names. This started to a degree in the 1990s, and has accelerated in the past 5 years. My fear is when the apartment craze ends (and it will), what will happen to all those buildings? Many are built very cheaply and generic ( I am looking at you, Artistry). Strangely, my favorite new building is Millikin. That part of Mass Ave needed a larger anchor...it will give it a "baby Chicago" feel when residents are all moved in.

A couple questions..I am aware of the all the new apartment bldgs, but what is going in at New York and Penn? Also on North Illinois St? Both are large construction sites with dirt , but no signs. I was glad to have some extra time between meetings to walk/bike (love the bike share) and drive around for longer than I have in the past. I have spent probably a couple weeks time traversing these neighborhoods and walking them to see how they changed the last decade since I lived there. Also surprised Wishard met the wrecking ball....could have been repurposed to nice medical student lofts...

Now to what I see as Indy's weaknesses. Please take this as constructive criticism because if Indy can build up her neighborhoods more, it can be one of the best Midwest cities, and I don't think there are a lot of folks outside Indiana who see it that way now. Indy's urban neighborhoods are really lacking. I was glad to see continued progress in Herron-Morton and Old Northside. Many great rehabs as well some new historic looking infill on a few corners. It does lack a commercial corridor, though.

The rest of Indy's "urban nabes?" They are just not ready for primetime. Fountain Square and Fletcher Place, while having a few nice shops and restaurants and a decent housing stock, don't feel like a true urban, vibrant area. They are very very small. That said, the dedicated bike lane on Shelby St could potentially attract the kind of urban hispter retail, T-shirt stores, coffee shops, and bookstores needed to attract the demographic I am talking about. Right now the development in the area is small, but of course the old Fountain Square theater bldg and fountains are a beautiful starting point.

Bates-Hendricks? It is nowhere near ready for primetime. I actually see this area as having the most potential since it is the largest, gridded urban area that close to downtown that still needs work. Bates-Hendricks is not as viable as many here claim unless a commercial corridor develops along East St. Right now, the area is not the nicest place to walk. Bates-Hendricks could be the hipster hood that is lacking in Indy right now. Think Over the Rhine in Cincy, or more likely, Germantown in Louisville. The housing stock is actually more similar to Germantown in Louisville. Still, lots of work needed here.

Indy's worst neighborhood weakness in the center city is that there is an obvious barrier to development in the interstates and the white river. There is no reason that the area just west of downtown, past the zoo, shouldn't be a nice area. With the exception of Fountain Square, there is very little rehabbing going on east of 65/70 as well. If Indy is to reach her full potential, there needs to be a cool commercial corridor develop east down Michican, Washington, or NY. I was encouraged to see a small development of townhouse off Dorman.

And Indy's other urban areas? From Broad Ripple to Irvington, to even inner ring suburbs like Beech Grove...these areas cannot compare to other cities in the region. So, as amazing as downtown Indy is, what will happen when these millennials that live in apartments decide they want single family homes? Will they look at Old Northside and Bates-Hendricks? Or Carmel and Fishers?

I think Indy is doing great things overall. I could really envision Indy building a light rail and El. I think the center city is set up perfect for a loop like Chicago. You could start with one line that runs from the Airport/Speedway to downtown, makes a loop alone the mile square, and then goes north towards Meridian-Kessler/BroadRipple, and terminates in downtown Carmel. I think that is what could really elevate Indy to the next level of city it wants to be...the Denvers of the world. Until then, there is a long way to go.
Good grief, not again.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:32 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Yes, I think we would all agree that Indianapolis needs to improve its neighborhoods. That is not a new idea to this forum.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Yes, I think we would all agree that Indianapolis needs to improve its neighborhoods. That is not a new idea to this forum.
You guys are very sensitive about this! I give lots of street cred to Indy. The development in the last 5 years has really made it grow on me to where I wish I lived there more recently, not 10 years ago. I had a feeling you guys would get all touchy about this though

Old 10-15-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
The theme of my post is....with all these flashy 5 story apartment midrises downtown....are they being built at the expense of rehabbing Indy's older neighborhoods? Some food for thought. I would personally love to see light rail built in Indy...I think it would motivate Cincinnati and Louisville to get off their duffs and do the same. Indy has progressive enough government to pull it off.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
You guys are very sensitive about this! I give lots of street cred to Indy. The development in the last 5 years has really made it grow on me to where I wish I lived there more recently, not 10 years ago. I had a feeling you guys would get all touchy about this though
I am not sure why you think we are sensitive. Perhaps that is a reflection on you or your assumptions about us? I don't know. This whole "the neighborhoods are behind" thing is well documented on this forum. It is just not some new idea.

Quote:
The theme of my post is....with all these flashy 5 story apartment midrises downtown....are they being built at the expense of rehabbing Indy's older neighborhoods? Some food for thought. I would personally love to see light rail built in Indy...I think it would motivate Cincinnati and Louisville to get off their duffs and do the same. Indy has progressive enough government to pull it off.
Great Places is the city's latest attempt to generate interest in some areas of Indianapolis. As my own neighborhood was designated a "great place", I am personally involved in the process of planning and (hopefully) turning it into reality in my own neighborhood. I am excited about what could be, but who knows what the future holds.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:20 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
There has been a lot of push for light rail but the state legislature won't allow it. The latest effort to improve mass transit passed only by specifically forbidding light rail be a part of it. That said, plans are going forward for the first bus-rapid transit line from (eventually) Carmel through downtown to Greenwood, the red line. At first it would just be Broad Ripple to UIndy. Unlike the current bus service that doesn't extend to the suburbs, doesn't run very late into the evening, is dependent on traffic, and only runs every 30 minutes or so, the red line would run every 10 minutes, have a dedicated lane, and be able to control traffic lights to keep it moving. And it would run 20 hours a day. It's rather annoying that it won't actual start running for another 3 years, but still a good step in the right direction.

http://www.indygo.net/redline/

Last edited by ischyros; 10-15-2015 at 12:03 PM..

Old 10-15-2015, 12:23 PM

56 posts, read 75,691 times
All your critiques regarding urban neighborhoods, I just don't understand. There has been more rehab activity in multitude of areas the last few years, than there has ever been.

Where will millennials go when they want a yard...well let's see.

Irvington, Broad Ripple, Meridian Kessler, Butler/Tark all have offered that for years. The high end flips going on in the latter two are very prevalent, for those higher income types.

Of course you have old Northside, H/M, and Fall Creek place. Bates Hendricks and Fountain Square are filling different niches, as do places like Woodruff, Cottage home, St Clair, etc....

The progress in all of these areas is real, and ongoing.

Finally, mass transit is hopefully coming on, as mentioned above. It won't ever be rail, I don't see that ever being feasible for Indy...but the BRT provides basically the identical service.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I am not sure why you think we are sensitive. Perhaps that is a reflection on you or your assumptions about us? I don't know. This whole "the neighborhoods are behind" thing is well documented on this forum. It is just not some new idea.

Great Places is the city's latest attempt to generate interest in some areas of Indianapolis. As my own neighborhood was designated a "great place", I am personally involved in the process of planning and (hopefully) turning it into reality in my own neighborhood. I am excited about what could be, but who knows what the future holds.
That's good. Any Idea what is going on at New York and Pennsylvania?

Old 10-15-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
That's good. Any Idea what is going on at New York and Pennsylvania?
Pulliam Square
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis