Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 08:11 PM

3 posts, read 3,254 times

Advertisements

I am an Indiana native, but have lived in Washington DC for 15 years now. I am contemplating a job offer in Carmel. I go to Indy a few times a year to go to Colts games, but I haven’t been anywhere outside of the downtown area in ages.

This job offer seems great, but I am kind of skeptical about this move, as we love living in DC. However, the cost of living and proximity to family are huge bonuses. We would like to find a nice place to live that is similar to the things we like about DC. We’re mid-30s, one toddler, laid back and outdoorsy types.

Must haves:
- short commute to Carmel (20 minutes or less)
- minimum 3 bed, 2 bath house for under $600k (we don’t mind small, our DC house is 1200 sq ft)
- access to good schools, prefer public but open to private

Preferences:
- Prefer a more liberal area if possible (I know it’s Indiana), cultural and racial diversity
- Interesting housing stock - wouldn’t be happy in a subdivision with identical McMansions
- close to restaurants, parks, outdoor pools, other amenities (walkable if possible)
- not snobby or high pressure to keep up with the Joneses
- I’m a triathlete and would place a high premium on easy access to running trails and a nice pool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 09:24 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
That could put you somewhere on the north side of Indianapolis. You won't have much diversity with the rest of what you're looking for, and areas outside of downtown Indy and downtown Carmel won't have many amenities within walking distance. But the amenities should all be available on the north side.

If schools are a priority, you should just live in Carmel. It has your must-haves, but it's not a diverse or liberal place, and, again, most amenities won't be within walking distance. Some people find the residents snooty, but I haven't come across that.

Last edited by sheerbliss; 04-22-2018 at 09:38 PM..

Old 04-23-2018, 08:17 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,761,065 times
$600k? When you see what 600K will buy in Indiana I think you'll be in for a bit of a shock!

Old 04-23-2018, 10:21 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
You might look in some of the older Carmel neighborhoods near the Monon Trail and closer to downtown Carmel.

It's not going to hit the "liberal" mark, but the housing is less cookie-cutter.

My daughter also trains for triathlons and marathons. She frequently uses the Monon for weekday running and biking. Because her first love is swimming, she belongs to the Monon Community Fitness Center for lap swimming during the week. Fitness Center Carmel, IN | Monon Community Center | Carmel Clay Parks : Carmel Clay Parks & Recreation | Carmel, IN

If you're looking for a group, check out TRI NASTI Triathlon Team. It's in Noblesville, but my daughter felt they were friendlier than the Carmel group she found. My daughter HATES driving for anything, but she is willing to drive to a less convenient for her location because it's an awesome group.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:08 AM

179 posts, read 356,299 times
Carmel is the place to go. Yes, it's not that liberal, but we did vote for a tax increase to spend on schools a few years back (if I recall over 80% said yes) so people in Carmel aren't all no-government types. Schools are wonderful and we miss it, food is going to be lacking vs. DC (we live in B'More now), and $600K will get you a mansion. I suggest you don't over-buy as the temptation can be there when you move from a high cost of living area to Indy (we moved from SoCal to Indy way back when). Neighbors in Carmel can be a hit or miss, but the 2 different subdivisions we lived at had really nice folks.

There are plenty of liberals in Carmel, you just have to look for them.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:54 PM

Thanks, folks. We are pretty resistant to Carmel, as we are “city people” - been in DC for a long time and have never lived in a suburb. We only finally bought a car two years ago!

Is there anywhere within Indianapolis proper that’s not a terrible commute to Carmel? I feel like I’ve heard good things about Broad Ripple...

(And the 600k is not our target home budget...just our max. we would love to pay less on housing!)

Old 04-24-2018, 04:09 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
The issue you're going to have in the city limits is that the public schools will be iffy at best. Most private schools in Indianapolis will be Catholic or other religions schools with a few notable, and very expensive, exceptions. Park Tudor, one of those exceptions costs about $20,000 year.

I tend to think of Broad Ripple as a younger vibe--not really a family place. Most people living there are young professionals. You'll be close to a lot of bars frequented by 20 somethings and nearby Butler students.

You could look in Meridian Kessler or Meridian Hills. I don't think you'll get a lot that's walk-able though in those neighborhoods.

Indianapolis tends to be a very "suburb-like" city in my opinion. It's very spread out. You can't just walk down the block in most neighborhoods and find a grocery or restaurant UNLESS it's a strip mall.

As far at the commute--it's going to depend on where in Carmel the work is. You MIGHT make it to parts of Carmel in your desired commute time--just depends. Meridian Hills will the closest.

I recommended looking near downtown Carmel or near the Monon Trail in Carmel for a reason. Despite being a suburb it's your best option of getting most of you wish list--especially the schools and commute.

Despite your suburb resistance, you might also think about Zionsville.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:22 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
If you want to live in Indianapolis itself; you can look in Nora or Broad Ripple. Butler-Farmington, Meridian-Kessler, and Watson-McCord are also nice albiet quieter. If you're looking in IPS neighborhoods, you've missed the priority deadline for lottery schools. That's going to be the trickiest part of navigating IPS. The lottery schools are as good as anything in the suburbs, but you're not guaranteed a seat. Nora is Washington Township schools, which are generally fine.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:01 PM

I should also say - schools are not an IMMEDIATE concern, as our daughter is only 15 months (although I guess I should edit to say that access to quality daycare is important).

Old 04-24-2018, 05:28 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
You might like Lockerbie Square. It looks actually walkable--sidewalks, pedestrians, and a real supermarket and hardware store, not just twee little shops with wind chimes and handmade soaps. It's just east of downtown. You can hop on Meridian or Keystone to get to Carmel. I don't know what the daycare options are.

Should you decide to raise your family there, the well-regarded Paramount School of Excellence is just three miles away. A large portion of the students are low-income and minority. Despite being so close to downtown, the school has a 4-H program with goats, bees, gardens, and cheese-making on site. Also on the near-east side, Purdue is building a STEM high school near Washington and Rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis