Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 07:08 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times

Advertisements

I haven't heard or read much about the Indianapolis metro area in recent times. In the past I acquired the impression it is a good place for middle-class Americans. Reasonable people. Reasonable taxes. Not as exciting as some places, but not as flawed as many places.

Is the above accurate of Indianapolis and it's suburbs?

Last edited by curiousgeorge5; 02-16-2021 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Delete part
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 08:05 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Metro Indianapolis is as ordinary and extraordinary as any other similar metro area. Based on your original post and subsequent clarification, I don't really know what the point of this exercise is. We have an IKEA and a comedy club. We even have Starbucks. We have "red blooded Americans" whatever Mod cut. that is supposed to mean.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-27-2021 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: Vulgarity.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:35 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I haven't heard or read much about the Indianapolis metro area in recent times. In the past I acquired the impression it is a good place for middle-class Americans. Reasonable people. Reasonable taxes. Not as exciting as some places, but not as flawed as many places.

I lived there for several years before moving back to TN, and I’d say this is largely accurate. I always thought it was a great value for what you get. Other than outdoor recreation, there is a hell of a lot more going on in Indy than my neck of the woods.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:08 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
Quote:

Yes, people tend to be courteous and reasonable and taxes aren't onerous. We have a variety of shopping, entertainment and sports here, including national acts.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-19-2021 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - Response to comment which has been deleted.

Old 02-20-2021, 06:20 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

For the most part Indianapolis is what you make of it. There has always been plenty of cultural activities, sports, art, whatever you want. I don't think there's anything backward about it, nor has there been for many, many years. I can recall going to the 500, Raceway Park, Pacers, Racers (remember them?), ballet, symphony, Clowes Hall, (what was the outdoor venue near Clowes Hall that did broadway shows outdoors in the summer?), Indiana Theatre, concerts at the clay courts, the zoo, Herron Art museum, etc., etc.

Sure, there is racism, but nothing like there was say 30-40 years ago. I've experienced it in the last decade, but it was people who lived in the rural areas surrounding Marion County, not people who lived in the county.

It's all what you make of it. I think it's improved a great deal since I was growing up there.

RM

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-19-2021 at 07:20 PM..

Old 02-22-2021, 07:18 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times
I've always associated Indy as a sister city to Columbus, OH (where I grew up). No they're not exactly the same but they have similar mid-sized midwestern city feels. The geography surrounding both cities is largely pretty flat. Lots of park space. Some issues with crime in both and some definite gentrification/growth in different areas of both. Indy has the Colts, Cbus has the Buckeyes. They are a little different but I've spent quite a bit of time in both cities and feel like if you visited columbus you hated it you might also really dislike Indy (and vice-versa). Could just be me though.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:53 PM

255 posts, read 414,182 times
Indianapolis Metro has much more diversity than people not from the 317 believe. The Hispanic population continues to grow and grow, the Burmese population in Perry Township on the south side keeps growing, and of course the sizable black population throughout the old city and townships.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:56 PM

255 posts, read 414,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I've always associated Indy as a sister city to Columbus, OH (where I grew up). No they're not exactly the same but they have similar mid-sized midwestern city feels. The geography surrounding both cities is largely pretty flat. Lots of park space. Some issues with crime in both and some definite gentrification/growth in different areas of both. Indy has the Colts, Cbus has the Buckeyes. They are a little different but I've spent quite a bit of time in both cities and feel like if you visited columbus you hated it you might also really dislike Indy (and vice-versa). Could just be me though.
Columbus is nicer overall IMHO. Just me though. Feels like poverty and crime are spread out more in Indianapolis.

Old 02-25-2021, 12:02 AM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
Columbus is nicer overall IMHO. Just me though. Feels like poverty and crime are spread out more in Indianapolis.
Are populations of Columbus or Indianapolis decreasing?

Old 02-25-2021, 06:13 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times
Quote:
Are populations of Columbus or Indianapolis decreasing?
No, both city populations are increasing, though Columbus is growing faster. The Indy metro area, though, seems to be growing at about the same rate as Columbus' metro area. Both city populations and metro populations Columbus has the edge, but not really by much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis