Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 10:03 PM

3 posts, read 13,319 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Indy in Aug and have never been in Indy before. It is highly important for us to be in the 20-25 min walking distance to IUPUI. For us a condo is OK, although a house is more preferred.

We are expecting to be in Indy for 4-5 years, so we are also concerned about reselling the property without losing too much of its value - especially in this bad real estate market.

We looked online and found the Upper Canal area interesting, however there are not that many choices for sell over there. Found one on Fayette and another on Ellsworth St, but no idea if they worth the price.

We don't want to go higher than 450K for a 3 bed house or 250K for a 2 bed condo. We need to know which areas around IUPUI:

- are safer than other downtown areas (we have already seen indy.gov crime map)
- have kept its value during time and will hopefully keep its value in near future
- will be considered a reputable area

We don't care about the noise as we lived in populated areas before,

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 07:06 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
I am not sure if there is any housing south, north or west of IUPUI that would be what you would want.

So East is it.

Ransom Place between IUPUI and Dr. MLK Drive (Michigan to elders). Area of renovated and newer homes. Some neighborhood issues (students and parking and noise) have made the media.

Across Dr. MLK is one street (Fayette) of houses that were originally moved there and renovated so although they look old, the insides are all new. One street though. Not much around it and kind of specialized.

Next to that is the canal apartments.

Go about 4-5 blocks farther east and you get St. Joseph neighborhood which is where i live. There are houses and condos for sale. I have some very definite preferences. There is one for sale on my street that is a great buy. flockrealty.com has pictures and it is on 10th. Two story fully renovated house with a 2+ car garage and a much bigger fully privacy fenced grassy yard than what any of the neighbors have plus wonderful kitchen and baths. About $239,000 for a SF three bedroom with a yard and no HOA. I love our street and its easy access and quiet atmosphere. Great neighbors too.

Be careful about any condos with wood trim right now as I am seeing serious rot issues on the ones across from me and some in Chatham Arch. Most of problems seem to be the bay window extensions and the cheap wood trim around the windows.

With your money, the sky is the limit. There is a wonderful brick SF home in Chatham Arch the next historic area over from me for $400,000 with totally stunning interior!!!. Very involved community organization.

Let me know if I can help. I am not in real estate but like to keep my eye out for what is out there.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:07 AM

891 posts, read 2,450,761 times
I agree, you really don't want to go west, south or north - east is the way to go

Old 06-03-2008, 08:08 PM

51 posts, read 161,577 times
We own a house in Ransom Place and lived there 3 years while DH was in med school. It was really the perfect location if you want proximity to IUPUI. With your budget, you would want to live on Paca. It definitely is the nicest street in the neighborhood. We were also a 2 minute walk across MLK to get to the canal. Now, if you want a more established, historic neighborhood, some of the ones mentioned by sweetana are also nice. Again, though, that would require a bit more of a bikeride to IUPUI. Living downtown is lovely and I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:15 AM

1 posts, read 6,778 times
I need to find bed in Indianapolis for 3 months (from 1st july to 30th september) near IUPUI which it cost me between U$D 600-700. Please, i don´t find any. Somebody knows any???....

Old 07-30-2010, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 5,365 times
W-Mail reply. I have a new listing on 913 California A Beauty completely Restored inside and out call me for appointment. Betty Davis, 946-9202.
A historical home within two blocks of IUPUI's property. Asking price $237.900.00
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis