Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 10:45 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwillis View Post
The only thing Indiana has is a lower cost of living. If I were doing ok in California it would be a cold day in hell before I moved to Indiana.
Politics, state government and COL is enough of a reason we would never live in California. I think the weather is one of the only reasons it's still worth it these days... granted fires seem to be more and more prevalent so there's that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 06:02 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
If I've said it once, I've said it twice: if money had been no object five years ago, I'd have moved to California. I've since been glad that money was an object.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:51 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
If money were no object I would love to live in a place like Southern Indiana. Just outside of Louisville in some hilly areas. But I like making money too much.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:37 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
If money were no object I would love to live in a place like Southern Indiana. Just outside of Louisville in some hilly areas. But I like making money too much.
Stick with your employer and work from home, maybe? It's the thing these days.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I live in Southern Indiana, and um, there's not much here really. The hills are decent, surprisingly enough the corn fields can offer something kinda special/beautiful. There is some charm here but it's not what you'd think imo, and I lived in California for 11 years (Bay Area for 8 and SoCal for 3). Every day that goes by I think about moving back out there. The cost of living and family is the only thing that keeps us in this state, and even with that we're going to move regardless. Either Carmel as to stay somewhat close to family or back to SoCal.

Old 03-11-2021, 01:18 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatamidoingwithmylife View Post
I live in Southern Indiana, and um, there's not much here really. The hills are decent, surprisingly enough the corn fields can offer something kinda special/beautiful. There is some charm here but it's not what you'd think imo, and I lived in California for 11 years (Bay Area for 8 and SoCal for 3). Every day that goes by I think about moving back out there. The cost of living and family is the only thing that keeps us in this state, and even with that we're going to move regardless. Either Carmel as to stay somewhat close to family or back to SoCal.
I live in western Floyd County, and I am staying for now due to cost of living and investing/savings advantage with my present job. Even with the improvements here, things are far behind other areas of the country I've lived. I have a few places in mind to move to, but would prefer to have a job lined up before moving.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:26 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwillis View Post
The only thing Indiana has is a lower cost of living. If I were doing ok in California it would be a cold day in hell before I moved to Indiana.
Many places in the US just offer a lot more than what Indiana can provide, but some of those things Indiana can't control. We'll never be just a quick drive to a nice beach or the mountains. We won't ever have constant mild winters with lots of sunny skies.

I've always felt that Indiana's "lower cost of living" isn't all that low anymore. However, compared to a California, NYC, Seattle, etc. type area, it is drastically lower and that can be a huge issue for many people.

I had a narrow focus in my youth, mostly because I was already in an urban area (good for jobs in today's world), had a huge family with deep roots in the area. In my early 20s I did have some "What if..." thoughts about moving, but since I didn't get out much in my younger years, I didn't know what places like California, Nevada, Colorado, etc. offered. While we did spend a couple days in NYC during a family vacation once, I was too young to really remember most of it. Also, I wasn't really fan of dense urban living in huge populated areas. Now that I've traveled around the last fifteen or so years, I have a better appreciation for other areas and what they offer, but I still don't know if I could be a debt slave in terms of housing costs just to live in SoCal or Seattle or any other high priced area. I don't really have the smarts to be an IT wiz and make the kind of money I feel I'd want to make to live in such an area.

Last edited by indy_317; 03-13-2021 at 04:36 AM..

Old 03-13-2021, 07:25 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
One advantage Indianapolis has over Denver, Las Vegas and some other cities out west is that it's close to other things: Chicago, Cincinnati, Louisville, Brown County and Lake Michigan are only few hours' drive and there's a lot of points of interest you can drive to in a day. But in Denver, once you're tired of the mountains, it's a day's drive to Kansas City, Albuquerque or Salt Lake City, should you have any desire to go to one of those places. If you do, there are long stretches with nothing to see.

It would have been interesting to live in New York City or another large metro when I was young (Denver didn't qualify at the time, and still doesn't IMO). But the opportunity never arose and the money for a cross-country move wasn't there. I'm not sure how well I'd have liked it, anyway--I was born middle-aged and I've always liked nature, quiet and privacy.

Old 03-13-2021, 09:21 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,145,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
One advantage Indianapolis has over Denver, Las Vegas and some other cities out west is that it's close to other things: Chicago, Cincinnati, Louisville, Brown County and Lake Michigan are only few hours' drive and there's a lot of points of interest you can drive to in a day. But in Denver, once you're tired of the mountains, it's a day's drive to Kansas City, Albuquerque or Salt Lake City, should you have any desire to go to one of those places. If you do, there are long stretches with nothing to see.
And in SoCal, we have "everything" close by (distance-wise), but considering time on the road fighting traffic, paying top dollar for gas, parking, and then entrance fees -- only to be amongst hoardes of people -- well, your wallet's a whole lot lighter and you're basically exhausted by the time you get where you're going. And then you gotta repeat that unpleasant drive on the way home. Yay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
It would have been interesting to live in New York City or another large metro when I was young (Denver didn't qualify at the time, and still doesn't IMO). But the opportunity never arose and the money for a cross-country move wasn't there. I'm not sure how well I'd have liked it, anyway--I was born middle-aged and I've always liked nature, quiet and privacy.
LOL...I was, too!

Old 03-13-2021, 10:04 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
I'm not sure how well I'd have liked it, anyway--I was born middle-aged and I've always liked nature, quiet and privacy.[/quote]

I was too! I was born in Indiana. After college (Purdue), I moved to the Miami, FL area where I lived for 43 years. After retiring, I moved back to my hometown in Indiana. I could not be happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis