Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,659 times

Advertisements

We have been here for 10 years from Southern california the winters are not that bad the northern parts gets worse. I have seen it snow 12 inches but its not a bad thing no worries!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 05:13 PM

46 posts, read 187,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
^^Louisville is considerably warmer than Indy in both winter and summer. They only get about half as much snow as well.

Living in Fort Wayne for the last couple of years, our climate is nearly exactly the same as Indy's. Typical Midwest cold, but without the snow because we aren't near the lakes.
The weather in Indy and Louisville is comparable. Naturally, the farther north you go, the cooler the temps will be. But, having lived in Louisville and Indy, and still having family living in Louisville, I can tell you that someone moving from Indy to Louisville will not notice an appreciable difference in the weather.

Snow is always a fluke. Last year, Louisville got slammed with snow, and Indy got very little. Historically, Louisville averages about 16" of snow per year, and Indy 23". These are facts that can easily be researched, as well as temperature averages.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:39 PM

15 posts, read 30,822 times
Thank you for sharing that information. I kinda figure that their weather was pretty similar.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:28 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,030,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locean View Post
I can tell you that someone moving from Indy to Louisville will not notice an appreciable difference in the weather
I'm sorry, but it bugs me when people give out misleading information on a heavily trafficked forum. It's not a drastic difference, but to say that the cities generally have the same weather is simply not accurate.

According to the NWS Indy website that city gets around 27 inches of snow a year, compared to 14 inches of snow a year from the NWS Louisville website. A typical Indy summer will see only 18 days of 90 degree days, whereas Louisville averages 32. In fact, some years it doesn't even make it to 90 degrees in Indy (most recently in 2004). The two cities are not in the same climatological region (Indy is humid continental, Louisville is humid subtropical). That's a little bit of a difference, wouldn't you say?

The two cities are close but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. South Bend is a stone's throw from my house and they get way more snow than we do.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:55 PM

212 posts, read 615,510 times
Good point. Indianapolis is 146 miles from Evansville and 165 miles from Chicago. We have much different weather than Chicago does.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:31 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
Good point. Indianapolis is 146 miles from Evansville and 165 miles from Chicago. We have much different weather than Chicago does.
that's mainly because of the lake ...

Old 12-17-2009, 06:34 AM

212 posts, read 615,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
that's mainly because of the lake ...
Yep. I grew up on Chicago's south side. The occasional lake-effect snow was a nice treat in the winter too.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:55 AM

46 posts, read 187,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I'm sorry, but it bugs me when people give out misleading information on a heavily trafficked forum. It's not a drastic difference, but to say that the cities generally have the same weather is simply not accurate.

According to the NWS Indy website that city gets around 27 inches of snow a year, compared to 14 inches of snow a year from the NWS Louisville website. A typical Indy summer will see only 18 days of 90 degree days, whereas Louisville averages 32. In fact, some years it doesn't even make it to 90 degrees in Indy (most recently in 2004). The two cities are not in the same climatological region (Indy is humid continental, Louisville is humid subtropical). That's a little bit of a difference, wouldn't you say?

The two cities are close but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. South Bend is a stone's throw from my house and they get way more snow than we do.
Oh my god, you make it sound as if a person will find palm trees lining the streets of Louisville. I never said the weather was identical. I said it's similar. I pointed out that there are differences in temperature, but you, my friend, are the one who is trying to mislead.

Temperatures are AVERAGED. What you are failing to point out is that while you claim Louisville may average 32 days with 90° heat, and Indy averages only 18 days, the other 14 days during that same period, Indy could see temps that were 88°. It's possible for Indy to have a day with a 95°, while Louisville only hits 91°. It happens.

You really should do more research before you simply throw terms out, such as "humid continental" and "humid subtropical" because you obviously saw the word subtropical and had visions of Louisville rain forests in your head. The humid subtropical climate also exists in areas of MD, OH, PA
and NY. Do you think MD averages 32 days with 90° heat?

Try spending some time in Lousivlle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis