Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 05:51 PM

188 posts, read 974,871 times

Advertisements

Ok, here goes. Recently I had my cable company set me up with wireless internet.( I was using a Linkys..it went out) Now when I turn on the computer it tries to hook up to Acess. According to my cable company and local computer shop..there is no such thing as Acess. Ok..that doesn't make sense. Anyway after having to do a restart (3 times) it will finally hook up to my wireless. I have went through my programs and there is no Acess wireless internet. So what is happening? Any ideas? Plus my signal ( once I am online) will go from excellent to none in the course of about 5 minutes. I know it's not my laptop because daughter in law has a new one and it does the same thing. Cable company says it's not them..so who is it? Thanks for any help you can give.

Ps..yes I do have antivirus protection and malware protection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 06:31 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
That sounds like a neighbor that has set their wireless router's SSID to "Acess"

If your wireless router (Linksys) went out, then your wireless devices will not be able to connect.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
That sounds like a neighbor that has set their wireless router's SSID to "Acess"

If your wireless router (Linksys) went out, then your wireless devices will not be able to connect.
I am using the cable company's wireless router. When I did a search for networks within range..acess did not show up. No one I have talked to has heard of Acess. Who knows??

Old 07-27-2010, 05:32 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Exactly where do you see the word acess?

Old 07-27-2010, 06:05 AM

Hovered over the computer at right hand bottom of screen ( next to time and date) and it said " Connected to Acess Point" Excellent strength..but it will not connect. In fact if you try to connect..the laptop freezes up. Didn't have this problem till I went with Charter wireless Internet. Had to restart 3 times this morning before my router name would come up. Seriously considering calling Charter and having them come get their router and go get another Linksys!!

Old 07-27-2010, 06:31 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
I believe it just means that your device(linksys)will allow you to connect to a wifi connection. Not sure why its popping up if its not working though.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:21 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
If it really says "acess point" and not "access point" then I'd be concerned with what is going on with your system or who is using it besides yourself, especially since the speed drops so dramatically.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:44 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
An access point (AP) is named "Acess Point", that is evident. The question is; is it a neighbor or the kludgy setup by the cable company tech configured for their wireless router you are using.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
An access point (AP) is named "Acess Point", that is evident. The question is; is it a neighbor or the kludgy setup by the cable company tech configured for their wireless router you are using.
Do not believe it is any of the neighbors..we are under (supposidly) a secured network..we have to use password to get on line. Have called cable company and they said they do not know what it is. It is not something they use. Have noticed that when speed gets real slow..I will unplug router and reset it and that seems to help.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:13 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam531 View Post
Do not believe it is any of the neighbors..we are under (supposidly) a secured network..we have to use password to get on line. Have called cable company and they said they do not know what it is. It is not something they use. Have noticed that when speed gets real slow..I will unplug router and reset it and that seems to help.
Reset it how? Just unplugging or using the reset button on the back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet