Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 03:38 PM

37 posts, read 196,549 times

Advertisements

There's a nifty little website called Zipityzap that makes it really easy to find and watch lots of great internet television and movies. Watch on your PC or TV. To connect your TV, all you need is a $20 cable for your laptop. Over 100 channels and its all free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 01:28 PM

9 posts, read 39,713 times
If you're paying for cable or satellite TV now...
Why not look into the SLINGBOX

I have it and I Love it.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:24 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Windows Media Center has been doing that for years.
Pat, you don't happen to work for slingbox do you, 5 of your 9 posts are you touting slinbox . Also from the very little I've read about it, it does not apply to the OP's subject.

From the slingbox website; The Slingbox™ AV allows you to watch and control your favorite TV source from anywhere in the world on your laptop or cell phone.

I don't see how it helps someone wanting to watch web content on a TV set.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:37 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
+1 for Media Center. I started running it on a dedicated HTPC in 2005 when they released WinXP MCE 2005. I upgraded to Vista Ultimate last year - it's only Vista machine in the house (and it will probably remain the only one).

Y'all can have your TiVo's and your cable/satellite DVRs, along with the monthly rental fees that go with them. I'll keep my HTPC that's paid for and has more features than a cable DVR could ever hope to offer.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:57 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,303 times
MythTV ftw if I want to tune by way of PC.

But I don't. Most of my tv viewing is just off a straight Kubuntu KDE4 install, with my videos and TV shows ripped for my random viewing pleasure.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:09 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Pat, you don't happen to work for slingbox do you, 5 of your 9 posts are you touting slinbox . Also from the very little I've read about it, it does not apply to the OP's subject.

From the slingbox website; The Slingbox™ AV allows you to watch and control your favorite TV source from anywhere in the world on your laptop or cell phone.

I don't see how it helps someone wanting to watch web content on a TV set.
Neither does the website the OP mentioned - you need an s-video cable for that. But I don't think the picture quality is good enough to bother with most of the sites that are on the OP's link.

I don't think Windows Media Center does what slingbox does, which is to allow you to watch your own television over the internet from anywhere.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:39 AM

37 posts, read 196,549 times
Hi Naptowner -

There are several cable options for connecting your PC to your TV. Some offer better quality than others. I personally use the s-video and find that the quality is that of a standard resolution TV. It's nice to watch internet television on my real television - during Hurricane Ike I was watching a local Houston channel, and I enjoy watching stations from around the world - French, German, Russian, etc. This is the real value in internet television - you're not limited to the local cable or satellite lineup. The number of internet television channels is unlimited.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:30 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
I don't think Windows Media Center does what slingbox does, which is to allow you to watch your own television over the internet from anywhere.
MyCast your digital media with Orb 2.0 remote pc access software

To quote a recent celebrity: "Yes we can!"

I've been using Orb for years to do exactly that.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:34 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
Neither does the website the OP mentioned - you need an s-video cable for that. But I don't think the picture quality is good enough to bother with most of the sites that are on the OP's link.

Media Center does do that with a free add on
WebGuide - Streaming TV, Remote Scheduling and Media Sharing for Windows Vista and Media Center

Old 09-14-2008, 04:29 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Educational. Thanks everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet