Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 07:15 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times

Advertisements

I've stayed with Firefox and will stay with them for a while longer. I'm not sure that I trust Google.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I doubt it's any coincidence that Chrome surpassed Firefox within months after Google dropped support for the Google Toolbar for Firefox.
It's bigger than that. Google has recently let an agreement lapse that made it the major underwriter of the Mozilla Foundation, the keeper of Firefox. It appears the company intends for Chrome to be its browser of choice going forward.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2397242,00.asp

Old 12-08-2011, 08:32 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
I use Chrome for google apps... Quick Note, google maps, gmail, calendar, voice, TitanTV and WeatherUnderground. One click of Chrome icon in the taskbar and those are all accessed and opened in the Chrome browser with tabs.

With ONE exception - I use Firefox for all other web access, surfing, buying, video... anything. The one exception being websites that fail to function properly in Firefox, then I use the IExp. That failure can usually be attributed to poorly constructed web apps... that is, coded to work correctly in IExp but not inclusive of Firefox.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
And Has Google Now Killed Off Firefox Completely By Pulling The Plug On Its Toolbar Deal?

I can't believe GOOG would let search go on FF.
Surely, MSFT would pop a lousy $100 million out of the coffee fund to grab that spot and put Bing in as default Firefox search solution....
And from this article we get yet a different set of numbers:

"Chrome's share of the market has gone from 5% to 18%, according to Net Market Share, and Firefox's share has dropped from 25% to 22%."

I'm beginning to think none of these people know what they're talking about.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:35 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And from this article we get yet a different set of numbers:

"Chrome's share of the market has gone from 5% to 18%, according to Net Market Share, and Firefox's share has dropped from 25% to 22%."

I'm beginning to think none of these people know what they're talking about.
I have FF and IE9 on my machines.
And I am thinking about downloading Chrome.

Who the heck is going to make me believe they can tell me what anyone's market share actually is....

Old 12-09-2011, 12:42 AM

35 posts, read 87,664 times
It's funny to hear about people not trusting Google when other certain large operating system vendors are proven monopolies and proven embrace and extend artists.

Another funny thing that people rarely think about is that our banks know more about us than any search engine. They know where we live exactly, where we shop, our habits, favorite things, favorite restaurants, favorite bars, clubs, what peccadilloes and other odd habits you have. They can place you at certain places and at certain times by the time stamps on your purchases. Most people do not stay logged in to search engines while they search and nor should they. But your bank knows where you are every time you swipe that debit or credit card. Almost no one uses cash anymore.

Privacy is largely dead because of the Internet. People seem fine with it, apparently, because they join all of these social sites which prey more heavily on your privacy than any search engine does -- and they give up this info willingly for the sake of "friends" they will never meet in reality. And it's only becoming worse. Pretty soon everyone will know everything about everyone else.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:12 PM

858 posts, read 2,993,425 times
I've been using IE-9 since it was released and have no issues.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:34 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I've stayed with Firefox and will stay with them for a while longer. I'm not sure that I trust Google.
I don't trust Google - AT ALL. My use of Chrome is a fairly generic activity in my life. I use gmail as a throw away address when surfing and their voice app as a throw away tele number.

My surfing is in Firefox and any email that might encounter legal examination is done in Thunderbird.

But then, my first browser was Mosaic, second was Netscape of pre version 1. At about that time Bill Gates said MicroSoft wasn't interested in the browser app as it didn't really have much use. He later changed his mind.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:07 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
I use IE and FF. I havent tried Chrome...just never felt a compelling reason to. Maybe I will take a look at it one day...

Old 12-11-2011, 03:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I've dabbled a bit with Chrome. It runs a lot lighter than FF does and seems a lot less prone to crashing. However, the Omnibox auto-complete seems to work completely at random and there's no way to totally disable it. What's more, Google has flat-out said that they will never offer an option to disable it completely even though it causes many people to want to pull their own hair out.

I also don't like that it doesn't insert italic and bold tags when you hit control-i and control-b respectively like FF does, and its spell-check vocabulary is less complete than FF's, but these aren't dealbreakers.
One more annoyance: no title bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet