Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 10:48 AM

633 posts, read 724,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you have free wi-fi available you should only need a wireless adapter on your computer. I would assume they have it password protected and you'd have to contact management for the password... You sure you don't already have one? They don't necessarily have an antennae.

I just bought this one and I'm quite happy, it's USB so it's easy to install:

Newegg.com - Rosewill RNX-N180UBE Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 1T2R / 5 dBi External Antenna / Up to 300Mbps Wireless Download Data Rates 64/128-bit WEP (Hex & ASCII), WPA/WPA2, WPA(TKIP with IEEE

LOL. i bought this:

High Power USB WiFi Dish.*-*The Red Ferret Journal

as the article said:

Connect your laptop or desktop up to one of these puppies and you’ll be grabbing your 802.11g signal from Guatemala

i bought it coz my desktop has no built in wifi. and i was able to have free wifi internet in my apartment.

in your case. if u have free wi-fi available in your area like u said. what u need is an antenna since most PCs/laptops now has built in wifi. as for what u need. if u plan to go ahead and connect internet service. as far as i know u will only need a router.

if you are experienced you can just buy an internet only package dont tell them you will connect it wirelessly coz they will just make your headache with all that 'sales' of their modem/router like they're doing now.

then just google how to connect wireless connection by yourself - pretty sure there will be loads of hits you can choose from. buy a router and you can connect wirelessly from your internet service.

as far as i know a router is all you need to connect wirelessly from your internet service.

Last edited by angelinajolie; 11-17-2012 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 05:23 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Call up and tell them you're going to cancel the service, they will extend it.
Oh! They will be happy to cancel after the customer pays the early termination fee

Old 11-17-2012, 10:53 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinajolie View Post
... in your case. if u have free wi-fi available in your area like u said. what u need is an antenna...
Hi AJ... As I'd mentioned, we tried the extender & either we're too far from the router in the clubhouse or the bldgs blocking the signal will continue to do so... which is what most said, but we thought we'd give it a try. Don't think we're up high enough to overcome that issue of pulling in the complex's signal. We did in fact, need the modem for Comcast, but I already owned one, so that was fine. We now have working 'net & basic cable... again, more than what meets our needs.

For wireless, we're still in the midst of unpacking, only half our belongings have been delivered & we're heading up on Thanksgiving week... think that wireless will have to wait 2-3 wks before I have the desire & extra time to play with it. In the meantime, I read a lot about it & at least don't feel as in the dark as before, so don't think I'd have trouble setting it up.

Now that we can get online we may just endure what we have... the SO isn't online much at home, if at all & has some James Bond-ish gadget to allow him to connect via his cig lighter in his car. Between that & his new Smartphone, he's like a 15-yr old lad & is going to need a chiropractor soon if he doesn't learn to lift his head up once in awhile!

Quote:
...then just google how to connect wireless connection by yourself - pretty sure there will be loads of hits you can choose from.
Great advice. When I owned my house, to keep costs down, I learned how to fix my toilet, sand/stain/polyurethane my floors, patch minor holes in the foundation, season cast iron pans, etc... all from YT vids. They're great!

Quote:
as far as i know a router is all you need to connect wirelessly from your internet service.
I needed the modem to connect to the 'net via cable & yes, will need a router if I want to go wireless. We'll see. If I didn't need my computer for job searching just now, I'd just visit the clubhouse for free computer usage... the problem is they turn off the router from 9pm-10am, which are the times I do most of my searching. We only need this for 11-mos, since we'll be headed back to CA, so minor costs for convenience (in-home 'net vs waiting to log on at the clubhouse) aren't of much concern.

Thanks for your response. I like the sales pitch they give your Wi-fi dish... very cute prose.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Oh! They will be happy to cancel after the customer pays the early termination fee
I guess each person's situation differs. We don't currently have a Comcast contract as it's month-to-month. I suppose some are forced into contracts if they live rurally or have special circumstances with their apt complexes, but I shun them all. Learned many years ago with ATT cellphone not to sign a contract. Had awful reception ONLY in my house, where I used my cell most & was stuck with a 2-yr contract & a $300+ cancellation fee (total of 7-mos service, at that time).

Funny story, how bad was the reception? I had to leave my 4th floor flat, with no elevator & after having had foot surgery (winter snow, blizzards, ice, nor'easters, blistering winds & dark) to go into the alleyway between my bldg & the bldg next door to get good reception. Guess the tin garbage cans, or something equally as ridiculous helped reception. So for 2-yrs, I ran into the alleyway to speak to every single relative who lives in a different time zone, mostly in Europe, at all hours.

When I was selling my house during one of the coldest Boston winters, I'd run into the alleyway all hours of the night to hear my realtor who called about 8-times/night, oftentimes speaking from 10pm to midnight, sometimes multiple times. Ended up with a great sale, but... had to pack up a 4-floor house to move with a nice, ripe case of pneumonia.

Moral? ATT's cellphone contracts (& probably many others) causes pneumonia!

As with anything, know what you're signing in advance. I ask questions over & over 'til I get it, even if I'm speaking with someone who is annoyed with me. I thank them for their time & patience, but if I have 1 q or 10, I'll ask 'til I'm done. Read your rental lease, read your loan applications, read any contracts from gym memberships to self-contractors you hire & don't sign anything you don't fully understand.

P.S. BTW, no, I'm not preaching at anyone... just story telling.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post

Thanks for your response. I like the sales pitch they give your Wi-fi dish... very cute prose.
lol. actually when i was buying it the sales clerk was telling me i need a router and antenna and whatever nonsense they can sell. i just smile and in my mind i was like no dude this is all i need coz i will just steal free wifi from anyone near me.

back then it was easy to steal wifi connection coz the security connection sucks or non existent.

and actually that's why i consider google as my BFF. gives great advice, shows step by step solution to your problem and i'm the boss. lol.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinajolie View Post
...back then it was easy to steal wifi connection coz the security connection sucks or non existent.

...and actually that's why i consider google as my BFF. gives great advice, shows step by step solution to your problem and i'm the boss. lol.
I love low cost or free, too. And, I totally agree that many sales pitches (no matter what one is selling) don't always pass the sniff test. I often leave stores feeling I'm not being told the truth & the commissioned sales agent is only trying to pad their pockets with my $$$, by any means necessary. Have they no conscience? I prefer to buy anything & everything online & will search ad nauseum beforehand. Sometimes I just need a bit of directional advice.

But, if I want to do a bit of banking online, secure connections, I'm assuming, are more secure (nothing is 100%, I realize). And, at the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist nutter, I've wondered if some neighborhood online connections aren't left unsecured in order to lure in those looking for free 'net, in the hopes they'll capture passwords, bank account info, etc? People are far too savvy today in the technological realm... including those appearing to be vulnerable by being unsecured. Any thoughts, besides I might be paranoid?

Old 11-18-2012, 11:21 AM

that's true i feel that too that they intentionally fish for those who seek free connections but that's also why i don't access my online banking or anything that potentionally can be stolen on unsecured network i only surf the net or stream movies on unsecured network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet