Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2013, 09:23 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times

Advertisements

I've been watching the news on the TWC vs. CBS battle with an attitude that I may be seeing one of the last battles of Godzilla vs. Megalon. It is pretty obvious that TWC thinks it has CBS in a stranglehold, and customers are the ones with the damage. However, getting the live local news over the internet or Roku or other sources is not rocket science, and most local origination of programming has become a rarity.

I think both combatants are doing more to hasten their demise than anything productive.

Then... I had to enjoy the RNC telling the media to pull off the Hillary documentary or risk not being able to cover their convention. Our set either goes to Brit tv or somewhere else during the crazy phases of the election cycles, and the RNC is just going to make it easier by shooting itself in the foot. Image Madonna pouting and saying that she will pull her show if Lady Gaga gets a documentary.

Anyway, stuff like this happening is just making the swap to internet sourcing faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 10:00 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I've been watching the news on the TWC vs. CBS battle with an attitude that I may be seeing one of the last battles of Godzilla vs. Megalon. It is pretty obvious that TWC thinks it has CBS in a stranglehold, and customers are the ones with the damage. However, getting the live local news over the internet or Roku or other sources is not rocket science, and most local origination of programming has become a rarity.

I think both combatants are doing more to hasten their demise than anything productive.

Then... I had to enjoy the RNC telling the media to pull off the Hillary documentary or risk not being able to cover their convention. Our set either goes to Brit tv or somewhere else during the crazy phases of the election cycles, and the RNC is just going to make it easier by shooting itself in the foot. Image Madonna pouting and saying that she will pull her show if Lady Gaga gets a documentary.

Anyway, stuff like this happening is just making the swap to internet sourcing faster.
Weather is the thing I always get from the local news. They don't deal directly with my town, but say far more about it than the weather channel. And where there are storms nobody beats the local weather people in the state. They follows the storms and give LOCAL information. I used the radar maps online to watch, but on stormy nights put the tv on a regular channel and pay attention.

I tend to watch all three networks weather if its uncertain to see what they differ about. I tend to record it ten fifteen minutes ahead on non emergency situations and fast forward past the crime scene and all that sports.

I don't see the internet replacing that any too soon.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:37 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
A couple of our local stations do simulcast during tornado warnings, but this:
NOAA National Weather Service
gives a real localized forecast (you can change the location in the upper corner).
This gives zoomable animated radar (localize it to the one that suits you):
http://www.wunderground.com/radar/

We still like to watch weather emergencies on tv, in part to see the train wrecks that happen to local weathercasters. Example one live reporter exclaimed "I've been working at this station for THREE YEARS and this is the worst I've ever seen it!"

Old 08-06-2013, 04:54 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Weather is the thing I always get from the local news. They don't deal directly with my town, but say far more about it than the weather channel. And where there are storms nobody beats the local weather people in the state. They follows the storms and give LOCAL information. I used the radar maps online to watch, but on stormy nights put the tv on a regular channel and pay attention.

I tend to watch all three networks weather if its uncertain to see what they differ about. I tend to record it ten fifteen minutes ahead on non emergency situations and fast forward past the crime scene and all that sports.

I don't see the internet replacing that any too soon.
Where we are in SC now, the local TV stations web sites are kind of weak, but when we were in Tampa Bay you could get everything that the local station was broadcasting from their web site, usually pretty close to real time.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:35 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,603 times
one of the reasons i won't pay for cable. i get cbs through ota .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet