Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 08:01 AM

531 posts, read 2,898,606 times

Advertisements

This might be a strange request, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a news web site which does not censor their content. For example, NYtimes.com will withhold photos or certain details of a story if it considers it to be too graphic--is there a news site that does not do this? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 09:02 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
You come close, but you miss the point. ALL reporting of news is censored or slanted or biased. There never are "full" details, as the writers of the stories (I refuse to call them journalists anymore) work from limited information and regurgitate it through their personal filters.

If you are interested in trying to get a more factual and in-depth coverage, the best you can do is compare the stories from various sites and organizations. The what I call wacko news site is Rense.com. The filtering there is less, and a lot of untruths are told. With national stories it can be important to step outside the U.S. and Brit. media. The Russian papers gave a whole different dimension to the stories of Russia invading its little neighbor to the south. Indian papers can give a much different view of world affairs than western mainstream media.

If you are interested in gory pics or lurid details, I'm sure there are places like that on the net. I try to avoid stuff like that.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
I wouldn't call it censorship, it's just that you won't find that style of journalism at US journalism outlets because of AP style and community standards. The US audience for news doesn't want to see gory pictures of accidents or crime scenes. In other countries, the community standards are different. For instance, tabloid newspapers in Mexico routinely splash photos of shootout aftermaths on the front page because it sells newspapers there.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:02 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Problem is that in this country news is dumbed down to grammar school reading levels, as that is the reading comprehension level of the majority.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:02 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Problem is that in this country news is dumbed down to grammar school reading levels, as that is the reading comprehension level of the majority.
And it's often inaccurate or over hyped to make it sound interesting, I can't believe some of the crap I'm seeing in papers and on my local TV news.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:15 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
And it's often inaccurate or over hyped to make it sound interesting, I can't believe some of the crap I'm seeing in papers and on my local TV news.
Like the tabloids at the grocery checkout, sensational headlines, and nothing else.

Local TV news (a Sinclair broadcasting station) is just a video tabloid, with leadin's and teasers, and no content. Then they fill the rest of the time with non-sense from other local TV tabloids, such as a tree that fell on a house on the other side of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet